Why is it so bright at night when it snows?

WeatherArchive

Has anyone noticed that it's brighter at night when it snows?  The tiniest bit of light is 2X amplified and travels a longer distance.   You don't need a flashlight if you go tramping around in the snow at night unless your deep in the country with no lights but any nearby glow seems much brighter.

Is light deflected different?

Has anyone noticed that it's brighter at night when it snows? The tiniest bit of light is 2X amplified and travels a longer distance. You don't need a flashlight if you go tramping around in the snow at night unless your deep in the country with no lights but any nearby glow seems much brighter.

I would think all that white snow reflects a lot of light. Making it brighter.

Has anyone noticed that it's brighter at night when it snows? The tiniest bit of light is 2X amplified and travels a longer distance. You don't need a flashlight if you go tramping around in the snow at night unless your deep in the country with no lights but any nearby glow seems much brighter.

Albedo baby. Not to be confused with libido though winter cabins have been known to cause unprecedented libido use.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

When there is snow on the ground and on the trees the surface is brighter so what little light there is at night is preserved instead of being sucked into the normally darker surfaces.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

We had a blizzard in February of 2006, and I'll always remember it because it literally never got dark that night. Like, the only difference between midnight and the late afternoon was the color of the light. Such a weird feeling walking around at 2AM, snow ripping down, hearing nothing but the light pitter-patter of the big flakes hitting the ground, yet having it feel like it was 4pm with the bright orange-ish glow.

To this day, I can't figure out why that storm affected the light in the manner it did. No other blizzards in my lifetime have done anything like that.

We had a blizzard in February of 2006, and I'll always remember it because it literally never got dark that night. Like, the only difference between midnight and the late afternoon was the color of the light. Such a weird feeling walking around at 2AM, snow ripping down, hearing nothing but the light pitter-patter of the big flakes hitting the ground, yet having it feel like it was 4pm with the bright orange-ish glow.

To this day, I can't figure out why that storm affected the light in the manner it did. No other blizzards in my lifetime have done anything like that.

MDMA will do that.

• Like 2

I had the privilege to live near Lake Michigan and in New York City for several years. The silence of a deep snowfall, very peaceful. Night time light on snow cover during a full moon.

• Like 1