December Weather In the PNW

BLI snowman

Today is the 11th (and final) consecutive dry day in a row.  

Can definitely tell changes are here today even. More clouds and not as much frost this morning. Low of only 35. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

If someone said that about Jesse, he would be running to the admins.

Yes, I know.

I'd love for that to verify but 9 out of 10 times what ends up happening is the offshore ridge is not big enough with enough amplitude far enough north to force the cold air to jump the maountains and it slides to the east. Oh, and the SE ridge hasn't built in enough.

Whew... at least we will have some strong ridging coming around Christmas! Maybe take the boat out? :)

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_11.png

Think it was 2004 (I could be wrong) that I took my jetski out on Christmas Eve...might have to do it again!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The main takeaway at this point is that the uber-persistent blocking in AK/Yukon looks to continue for the foreseeable future, and there are definite signs of some retrogression.

Big question of course is if/when we will see a full retrograde of the ridge, and will it be able to hold if/when it finally moves into that favorable spot near 150W. Right now, there simply isn't yet any signal that we'll see a full retrogression...and given history, we certainly can't rule out the possibility of the blocking ridge breaking down at some point in the near future, allowing at least a brief +EPO burst of westerlies.

It's been a pretty stagnant pattern, and those often take longer to progress than models project. This one is moving like molasses.

A forum for the end of the world.

12z EPS hold block offshore unlike the odd Op run shoving it inland. A lot of promise and potential.

I think future runs we see the Aleutian ridge progressively become a few notches stronger/more amplified due to Kamchatka bomb. It won't be pushed east and thrown around like now.

18z GFS in 1 hour 26 minutes

12z EPS hold block offshore unlike the odd Op run shoving it inland. A lot of promise and potential.

I think future runs we see the Aleutian ridge progressively become a few notches stronger/more amplified due to Kamchatka bomb. It won't be pushed east and thrown around like now.

18z GFS in 1 hour 26 minutes

Control run goes nuts. Classic pattern.

• Like 5