December Weather In the PNW

BLI snowman

We're not losing light anymore in the evening in 9 days tomorrow (I'm not sad about that).

I have a small celebration at that time each year!   A celebration for those who deal with winter but don't particularly like living in the dark.  Very odd... I know.   I am probably the only person at this latitude who feels better when the days start getting longer.   ;)

This year we bottom out on the sunset on December 7th.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I have a small celebration at that time each year!   A celebration for those who deal with winter but don't particularly like living in the dark.    ;)

This year we bottom out on the sunset on December 7th.    

It's a shame we're going to use up our few weeks of ridging at a time when it will probably just lead to dark overcast; Dec/Jan are the worst for high amplitude ridging. I think even you would agree this ridging would be better placed in March. It feels like it's been awhile since we've had a ridgey March.

It's a shame we're going to use up our few weeks of ridging at a time when it will probably just lead to dark overcast; Dec/Jan are the worst for high amplitude ridging. I think even you would agree this ridging would be better placed in March. It feels like it's been awhile since we've had a ridgey March.

At this time of year... I would MUCH rather have a deep trough with occasional systems coming through and some sunny, chilly days in between

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We had a record warm March just in 2015.

You’re laughing at us now. We are getting desperate. Sun angles become an issue in like 8 or 9 weeks.

Lol. This place is already in midwinter mode. I keep having to remind myself that it's December 1st (2nd here).

Nice to finally have a December that doesn't blowtorch the entire country, even though the west is (temporarily) left out. The last several years have been rough in the "early winter blocking" department.

• Like 1

Essentially all of the seasonal model guidance is projecting a retrogression now, with the sharpest solutions centered around New Years. Analogs to the observed boundary state(s) are largely in agreement. The deep troughing over western North America could be persistent as well, probably lasting at least 3-4 weeks before we enter a pattern more like 2007/08 in February.

• Like 1

Essentially all of the seasonal model guidance is projecting a retrogression now, with the sharpest solutions centered around New Years. Analogs to the observed boundary state(s) are largely in agreement. The deep troughing over western North America could be persistent as well, probably lasting at least 3-4 weeks before we enter a pattern more like 2007/08 in February.

Given how angsty the forum already is, you are going to have people at your door with pitchforks and fire if the “goods” don’t start to show up after Christmas.

• Like 2

Given how angsty the forum already is, you are going to have people at your door with pitchforks and fire if the “goods” don’t start to show up after Christmas.

I will take him in up here above the fray when he seeks a safe haven. It's the right thing to do.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I'm already expecting it, lol.

Early January looks like one of those patterns that sneaks up out of nowhere on the modeling, as wavetrains will certainly be mishandled over Eurasia when the stronger blocking shifts into northern Siberia around Christmas.

The Agung seismograph has lit up over the last 15mins. The live camera started shaking started right around that time as well, so I don't think it's the wind.

Nope. He's free to bring any VHS tapes he wants though. All I have is Golden Girls season two and Cop and a Half.

I have VHS tapes of snowy news coverage from January 1996, November 1996, and December 1996 for Phil’s viewing pleasure during his trip up there!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The low frequency harmonic tremor indicates magma movement within the volcano. The fact there are still deep volcanic earthquakes registering, despite the wide open magma pathway to the surface, is kind of interesting.

• Like 2