January 2018 Observations and Discussions

Tom

You should do pretty good, I may be just to far east.

Things definitely are trending that way. Every snow event recently has overperformed from what models were showing it as, too. We weren't supposed to get accumulations here last night.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Currently @ 17F w deep blue skies and some fair weather cumulus clouds.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

At this range, the 12z EPS is indicating two pieces of energy with a lead wave going through the Dakotas/MN/U.P. and hinting at a secondary piece riding up towards the GL's.  BTW, this is almost very similar to how this past system looked at this range on the ensembles.  What eventually happened is the models weakened the lead wave and focused on the southern wave.  Coincidentally, today's 12z Euro op run flashed a similar outcome with a lead wave ejecting out and a secondary piece rounding the base of the trough and ejecting up into the GL's.  We are going to see a variety of solutions over the course of this upcoming week.

Meantime, 12z EPS trending colder and following the GEFS lead Week 1-2 with a more active/snowier pattern across our sub forum.

• Like 1

My forecast has multiple chances for snow next week. We will see how all of this pans out. That's the fun of this hobby.

The warm-up next weekend is looking like it may be pushing some 50s or at least near 50F w some wet weather.

It snowed nicely here from about 1 PM to 2 PM MDT, before relenting...probably in response to the recently passed local ordinance prohibiting snow from continuing for more than 60 consecutive minutes.

About 2/10 of an inch accumulated; bringing the monthly total to 6/10ths of an inch and the seasonal total to 11.0 inches.

Heard of nickel and diming it?  This is a penny and a shilling...

• Like 1

Weird how it's completely different. 3-4" is a pretty accurate guess I'd think though. Snowfall throughout the night, while light, should produce about that much with the high ratios.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

It snowed nicely here from about 1 PM to 2 PM MDT, before relenting...probably in response to the recently passed local ordinance prohibiting snow from continuing for more than 60 consecutive minutes.

About 2/10 of an inch accumulated; bringing the monthly total to 6/10ths of an inch and the seasonal total to 11.0 inches.

Heard of nickel and diming it?  This is a penny and a shilling...

Precipitation has moved back in; but now it is in the form of rain; (freezing rain, of course, as the temp is 23 F) but rain nonetheless.

A check of the current upper air chart shows that @ 925 mb SW SD is now above 0 C!  Perfect timing!

Misfortune...the kind of fortune that never misses!

I figured the HRRR is probably overdone, but I still think up to 2" is still likely. 3-5" would be nice, but it was never really a legit possibility with this thing.

I wouldn't say it's overdone yet. With high ratios, 11 hours of 10-20dBZ (or higher at times) radar readings would produce quite a bit. It would be fluff, however, and will probably compact down if it started to melt at all. Hopefully it won't be an issue tomorrow.

23Z HRRR did what I was afraid it would do. Shifted West to what current radar trends are doing. Still a decent amount for Lincoln, around 2-3", but doesn't bode well if it even a bit of that snow turns to liquid, as it will compact greatly.

All the local Mets here in Lincoln calling for 1-2” tops

If I were them I'd go 1-3". A 2" roof is too low due to easy accumulations imo. Even the most conservative models are saying just under 2". South side of Lincoln, specifically the SW side has the largest accumulation potential.

Its a frigid 7F. Back in the deep freeze once again.

Radar isn’t looking good for eastern Nebraska right now. Looks like things are starting to fizzle out a bit already. Possibly hitting some dryer air? Dew point is only 6 here in Lincoln.

The DP is close enough to the actual temperature of 13 here that it won't be a problem. The problem is just storm track. I agree, it's not looking awesome for us. Looking like we won't start seeing precip till after midnight here. The bullseye that we were supposed to be in has shifted to Central Nebraska.