2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

I have to admit that 70F feels nice compared to freezing my a** off standing in line for lunch at Cafe Coda in Chico for 25 minutes. 45° at noon and yet some people were in flip-flops [probably college students]   

Next storm may be wetter w/ subtropical jet enhancement per NWS_LA:

"though the difference with this
system is that pwats are about double what they were with the last
event"

73/ 47

• Like 1

First 80° since 2/8. Looking forward to more troughs moving over California during the next 7 days w/ particular attention to airmass currently near Hawaii for this weekend.   

80/ 55

ECMWF ensemble mean has 3" of rain at Los Angeles in the next 15 days. There is probably a little bit of terrain smoothing from resolution and of course most of it falls in the extended, but I would be optimistic if I lived down there. I think a good period of deep moisture with a trough offshore will do some good. We can hope.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Storm for the weekend looks to have rather low rainfall totals and next week's storm is still too far out to make any reliable predictions. Sometimes light rainfall over a prolonged period can be more beneficial than a few hours of pouring rain, especially for the burn areas.

Hard to believe this is the last workday of Pacific Standard Time. Next week mornings will be dark at this time.

Looks like things have turned around for you guys just in time.  This pattern could give you some pretty significant rainfall in the coming days.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Palm Springs is down about 15 degrees from yesterday, when they reached 87 F.

Looks like the main part of the storm is starting to come through now. Prolonged light to moderate rain should help to saturate the parched land while heavy rain would just cause runoffs and mudslides.

Sunset for the last day of Pacific Standard Time is 5:54 PM. On the last day of Daylight Saving Time it was 5:55 PM. Tomorrow the sun will set later than last Fall Equinox, but the sunrise will be 7:06 AM, which is 10 minutes later than its latest time of 6:56 AM back in January. In addition, since we are closer to the Spring Equinox, the sun is rising and setting at close to its steepest rate of the year. It won't be fun getting up in the dark on Monday.

Yep, John Wayne Airport officially has a broken rain gauge as yesterday shows MM on the daily climate report and there is only a trace for the month of March when we got more rain earlier in the month.

Other places mostly got over half an inch, but they still have plenty of catching up to do.

Had 0.83" here in Modjeska from this latest storm.

There's finally enough water in the creek for the treefrogs to start their mating ritual, which includes lots of loud croaking.  

They got a late start this year, they usually start this racket in January.

Here's what it sounds like in my back yard:  https://app.box.com/s/tff63wy7pjo2shgaxfs7

Had 0.83" here in Modjeska from this latest storm.

There's finally enough water in the creek for the treefrogs to start their mating ritual, which includes lots of loud croaking.  

They got a late start this year, they usually start this racket in January.

Here's what it sounds like in my back yard:  https://app.box.com/s/tff63wy7pjo2shgaxfs7

Cool

No frogs here but crickets are active if we get a hot day/ warm night even in winter.

Rain has stopped; hopefully more moisture this week. 

Storm: 0.66

Month: 1.66

Year [jul-jun]: 4.27

Absolutely delightful. Deep stratus, light shower to the west, calm and the kind of humidity we get in May. I love the Gray/ Gloom coming our way in spring. Bring on the rain  B) 

67F

DP: 59