2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

This has definitely got to be one of the most bizarre years I can ever remember. It began with deep troughing in mid September, but with sea surface temperatures well above normal, the deep marine layer did not have its usual refrigeration effect. Then there was that heat wave around the time of the World Series, followed by what looked like it could be our first fall storm, but that fizzled out. Then the Thanksgiving heat wave followed by the December Santa Ana winds, which actually started out cold, but caused the fires anyway. Though there were a few really cold days and one big storm, which finally helped to put out the fires a month after they began, there was another Santa Ana event followed by extreme heat all the way to the coast in late January. Trees still had leaves in January and early February like they would have in November. Then the sudden stratospheric warming which caused temperatures to crash late February and about the time trees usually bud the their new leaves they finally lost them. Leave buds were still coming in early May. Still gotta wonder if this troughy pattern is a result of that sudden stratospheric warming.

• Like 1

0.05" so far. The low clouds like to pile up on the Santa Ana Mountains here making us even gloomier than most places. We can also get some decent rainfall from winter storms while the totals for John Wayne Airport are pathetic.

Mt. Wilson Observatory is fogged in this morning, as I predicted yesterday.

0.05" so far. The low clouds like to pile up on the Santa Ana Mountains here making us even gloomier than most places. We can also get some decent rainfall from winter storms while the totals for John Wayne Airport are pathetic.

Mt. Wilson Observatory is fogged in this morning, as I predicted yesterday.

The air gets lifted over the mountains in a process called orographic lifting, causing more cloud buildups and wringing out more moisture from the marine layer (and storms, too). These upslope areas on the windward sides of mountain ranges (side in which prevailing winds blow toward) can receive quite a bit more rainfall than surrounding flatter areas not as close to the mountains. This is the reason why totals at John Wayne Airport can be so much lower than areas such as Foothill Ranch and Trabuco Canyon.

On the other hand, Lake Elsinore is on the leeward side of Saddleback, and the flow is more downsloping and drier on that side, and the areas along I-15 that are downwind of the higher peaks are much drier, even almost desert-like at times. Temecula is wetter than Lake Elsinore, since the mountains are much lower in that direction and they don't act as much as a rain shadow as around Elsinore. Please note that I am talking about the rainy season patterns, and not the summer monsoon pattern, which is quite different for these regions.

KCQT, KBUR, and KSNA are all running about a -0.5º departure for the month. KLAX is actually running 0.2º above normal. If that really feels like "the coldest in history," it says more about how consistently warm it's been over the last few years than how cool this May has been.

Seems like you are having the same problem down there that we are up here. People have become so acclimated to constant warmer and drier than average conditions that average is now viewed as unbearably cool and gloomy.

Guest happ

NWS refers to it as "back-filling" when the stratus shield moves west toward the coast. It never cleared up against Mt Wilson/ San Gabriel valley today. I've never kept track of consecutive cloudy days but this month has had its "fair" share.