Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
  • LocationLake Forest, CA

I question that high at Lake Forest. I simply don't think it got THAT hot today, although it was quite warm for an early January day with the Santa Ana winds. I feel that it reached the low and mid 80's in the warmer parts of Orange County.

Dry air and low sun angle make it feel less hot. At least there was no Red Flag Warning. Hope to get more rain next Friday.

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1538 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

It was 88F in Huntington Beach & Long Beach [not far from Lake Forest].

I was just checking the high temperatures around the region and saw those temps. I am still finding it hard to believe that it got that hot, though. It is quite warm tonight here in Orange from the wind, though, as it is around 72 right now.

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:19 PM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1538 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Dry air and low sun angle make it feel less hot. At least there was no Red Flag Warning. Hope to get more rain next Friday.

I'm hoping for more rain next week, too. I would feel more comfortable if it is a chance vs a slight chance, but it is still a ways out and NWS is being conservative that far out for a good reason.

Guest_happ_*

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:22 PM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

I'm hoping for more rain next week, too. I would feel more comfortable if it is a chance vs a slight chance, but it is still a ways out and NWS is being conservative that far out for a good reason.

Yeah, late in the week rainfall would be great.  Cooler temps will be nice also.  

• Dan the Weatherman likes this

Bonk

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

Bonk

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationModjeska Canyon [Elev. 1260']

I question that high at Lake Forest. I simply don't think it got THAT hot today, although it was quite warm for an early January day with the Santa Ana winds. I feel that it reached the low and mid 80's in the warmer parts of Orange County.

I'm a bit skeptical too Dan, but I'm seeing it reported in the OC Register and LA Times. 

I'm in Modjeska Canyon just east of Lake Forest and we are generally more extreme, hot and cold, than than they are and our high yesterday was 82.

Guest_happ_*

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

So far, Jan has been warmer than average but much cooler and hopefully wetter conditions are en route. South Texas/ Florida have had freezing temps this weekend.

NWS_SD

Attached Files

• iFred and Chris like this

Guest_happ_*

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

WU station in Lake Forest yesterday

Serrano Park KCALAKEF12

Temperature 91.1 °F 54.2 °F 72.7 °F

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
Another very warm January day, although some high clouds blocked out the sun completely for about half an hour, but even then temperatures were in the 80s.

Guest_happ_*

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:21 AM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

Waiting for rain

Sunday: 82/ 62

Guest_happ_*

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

This will be the lowest snow level of winter ;)

NWS_LA

"During the day
  on Friday, plenty of cold air will crash into the area, dropping 
  snow levels to between 3000 and 4000 feet by Friday night. So, 
  there will be several inches of snow accumulation likely, 
  especially at the resort levels."

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:35 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
Solar noon is finally "correct" today, after being as early as 11:34 AM back in November. But that's only for our longitude. Solar noon is actually more than 9 minutes late in Greenwich, England, which is 0 longitude. That's called the Equation of Time.

Attached File  SolarNoon12.png   26.15KB   0 downloads

Also, much cooler and cloudier today.
  • iFred likes this

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
Clouds really thickened up late in the day. Possibly there could be some virga or sprinkles.

Guest_happ_*

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:50 PM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

Cooling begins

74/ 56

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
Friday's storm does not look too impressive. Still waiting for the hills to get green here.

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1538 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Friday's storm does not look too impressive. Still waiting for the hills to get green here.

I was out yesterday and noticed just how dry the foothills of the Santa Ana mountains look at this time. They still look as if we are in summer or fall.

Guest_happ_*

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:25 AM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

Weak disturbance washing out around the Bay Area but another storm in a few days may reach into SoCal. Currently GFS is showing periods of rainfall well into next week.  :)

Guest_happ_*

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

Afternoon conditions in Texas. 

SAN ANTONIO LGTSLEET 28 16 60 N16 30.68F WCI 16
HOUSTON BUSH LGTSLEET 26 22 84 N17G28 30.64F FOG WCI 13

I doubt subfreezing maximums in the lower elevations would ever happen in California. 

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
Lots of high clouds again today, but we need the kind of clouds that drop some rain out of them.

Thunder98

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Thunder98

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • LocationOrcutt, CA

Solar noon is finally "correct" today, after being as early as 11:34 AM back in November. But that's only for our longitude. Solar noon is actually more than 9 minutes late in Greenwich, England, which is 0 longitude. That's called the Equation of Time.

attachicon.gifSolarNoon12.png

Also, much cooler and cloudier today.

In Santa Maria the Solar Noon is at 12:00PM on the Winter Solstice. 

Guest_happ_*

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

Now the odds [models] aren't looking very good for rain into next week  :(

72/ 54

richard mann

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

richard mann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3471 posts
  • LocationParadise, CA

(.. cross-reference.)

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php/topic/1711-winter-2017-18-colder-air-mass-movement-and-distribution-projections/?p=304779

---twitter_logo-t12.png

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts

5 more days until Utqiaġvik, Alaska (formerly Barrow) gets their first sunrise since last November.

Here it looks like less high clouds for now. Another insignificant "storm" looks to hit us on Friday. Anyone remember the front we got a day before Fall Equinox?

Guest_happ_*

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

"Identifying the Causes of
the California Mudslides"

https://www.nytimes....pe=sectionfront

Edit: Not much of an article  :rolleyes:

Guest_happ_*

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

The 2005 La Conchita beach mudslide was less deadly than Montecito

https://en.wikipedia...chita_landslide

Attached Files

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts

Beautiful day again, but not good for the already dry winter.

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
Sun was noticably higher and brighter this evening as I left work. Sunset now at 5:07 PM, while sunrise (6:54 AM) has yet to become earlier than the Winter Solstice. Back at the first day of Pacific Standard Time the sunrise was 6:13 AM and sunset was 4:54 PM.

Today was warmer again with the offshore flow, but tomorrow should be cooler and Friday much cooler.

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1538 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Beautiful day again, but not good for the already dry winter.

I am getting tired of this endless smoggy weather pattern that seemed to have started around Christmas Eve. The only time the air has been better during this period is during the storm we had last week and the weak Santa Ana event a few days ago.

We need a more active rainy pattern to begin very soon. The entire western part of the country from the Rockies westward is doing quite horribly right now as far as rain and snow is concerned except for the far north regions like Montana and Washington.

Guest_happ_*

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

Probably the last 80° day in a while

80/ 56

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:14 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts

I am getting tired of this endless smoggy weather pattern that seemed to have started around Christmas Eve. The only time the air has been better during this period is during the storm we had last week and the weak Santa Ana event a few days ago.

We need a more active rainy pattern to begin very soon. The entire western part of the country from the Rockies westward is doing quite horribly right now as far as rain and snow is concerned except for the far north regions like Montana and Washington.

As smoggy as it is here, and it seems to be more of a hazy mist in my area, it's much better than what they have in the Central Valley this time of year.

Guest_happ_*

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

I wasn't aware of how smoggy coastal areas are this winter since offshore and/or neutral flow inland has meant good visibilities. Has this year been worse than normal? 

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
Somewhere in Southern California was likely the warmest in the lower 48 again today. The cold weather in Texas is crazy. It's the West Coast ridge and East Coast polar vortex pattern we've seen a few of the last couple of winters. This could be the driest water year on record.

Guest_happ_*

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

It's been warm for so long that the idea of freezing levels below 3000' seems incongruent esp after a warm/ windy night. Possible snowfall in local mountains.

L: 62

Chris

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

Chris

Community Mod

• Admin
  • 1199 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast Range 1000'

Somewhere in Southern California was likely the warmest in the lower 48 again today. The cold weather in Texas is crazy. It's the West Coast ridge and East Coast polar vortex pattern we've seen a few of the last couple of winters. This could be the driest water year on record.

I had high hopes for you guys this winter.  Phoenix is even worse.  Better start building desalinization plants.

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1538 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

I wasn't aware of how smoggy coastal areas are this winter since offshore and/or neutral flow inland has meant good visibilities. Has this year been worse than normal? 

It has been persistently smoggy and ugly looking here in Orange since just before Christmas because the air has been so stagnant, due to an unchanging weather pattern. Normally the pattern is more progressive and variable this time of year, helping to keep the air well-mixed. The weak offshore winds blow all the pollution toward the coast, but it doesn't clear out because it isn't strong enough. Earlier in December when we were having all the winds, the air quality was much better except for possibly some dust at times.

As long as we remain in this stagnant, rainless pattern, the smog will continue to be an issue for this area. The weak storm forecast for tomorrow will likely help usher in a fresh air mass, hopefully.

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:58 PM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1538 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

I had high hopes for you guys this winter.  Phoenix is even worse.  Better start building desalinization plants.

I have been thinking the same exact thing regarding desalination plants. I fear that we are going to have water shortages in the future if we don't get the normal seasonal snowfall in the Sierras like we used to.

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
Spring-like day today as it was in the mid 70s and got quite breezy in the afternoon. No sign of the approaching storm so far.

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:26 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
Around 9 PM it was mostly clear, but since then the marine layer has arrived.

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
Overcast morning with no fog whatsoever and about half the people on the road have their stupid high beams on.

Looks like a morning in May and since it's nothing more than a deep marine layer I would not expect much rain from it. Chance of measurable precipitation is only 20% during the day and 50% tonight.

Guest_happ_*

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:00 AM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

Waiting for whatever amount of rain we can get.

Thursday: 77/ 62

Guest_happ_*

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

MOS shows cool but not cold/ cloudy but not rainy thru day 7  

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
Marine layer got deeper as the day progressed and now it is cold and cloudy and actually feels like winter, but not a single drop of rain so far.

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts

Marine layer got deeper as the day progressed and now it is cold and cloudy and actually feels like winter, but not a single drop of rain so far.

Not true anymore, with a moderate shower, but it looks to be ending as quickly as it began.

Guest_happ_*

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

Unimpressive rain totals across the state w/ hardly anything in SoCal other than marine layer drizzle.

62/ 55

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts

As is typical, the 2 Orange County airports got nothing while Lake Forest had some measurable rain due to its proximity to the Santa Ana Mountains. KSNA and KFUL get close to the lowest rainfall totals of all places in most storms and that's probably why they were built at the locations that they are.

Guest_happ_*

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

NNW winds gusting to 35mph this morning. Cool/ partly cloudy 

51F

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
No wind here yet. It would be nice to get some wind to get rid of the remaining leaves on my trees and other trees so that they don't remain through next spring.

Guest_happ_*

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

Santa Clarita/ Simi/ Ojai valleys under freeze watch. The very area that suffered fire/ mudslides could lose more fruit groves. 

Mr Marine Layer

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

Mr Marine Layer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2607 posts

Palm Springs got 0.01" from the storm. That's more than most of Orange County. Winds have failed to develop here so far. We are closer to the coast and lower in elevation than the Lake Forest reporting station which picked up 0.03", but I would expect similar amounts here from last night's showers.

Dan the Weatherman

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

Dan the Weatherman

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1538 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

NNW winds gusting to 35mph this morning. Cool/ partly cloudy 

51F

It was quite windy in Long Beach this morning, but it has only been breezy in Orange. My area doesn't get the NW winds a strongly as areas closer to the coast and the Los Angeles area in general.

Guest_happ_*

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

Guest_happ_*
  • Guests

It was quite windy in Long Beach this morning, but it has only been breezy in Orange. My area doesn't get the NW winds a strongly as areas closer to the coast and the Los Angeles area in general.

It has been windy all day here. NW wind sweep across the San Fernando valley and downslope out of the San Gabriel mountains. It seems like it is windy here quite often during winter esp at night so it mixes the air and elevates minimums compared to calm areas.  Nonetheless, today is quite chilly.

63/ 51