2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Guest happ

Clearing is mainly San Diego county. What time did it clear yesterday? I was indoors all day working as a clerk at the polls. 

Mostly/ partly cloudy: 68°   

Low clouds are rather limited this morning, especially compared to the last 3 days. In fact, the day has started out sunny.

I will be leaving for my pretty much annual trip to the Coachella Valley. We have a timeshare with RCI, but they lied to us about what would be available for our number of points, which is pretty much nothing. So all we can usually get is the Palm Springs area in summer, since people don't like the extreme heat, although this is technically still the June Gloom season when people like to go there.

Hint: All timeshare salesmen are liars and scammers. Never ever trust them.

Guest happ

Low clouds are rather limited this morning, especially compared to the last 3 days. In fact, the day has started out sunny.

I will be leaving for my pretty much annual trip to the Coachella Valley. We have a timeshare with RCI, but they lied to us about what would be available for our number of points, which is pretty much nothing. So all we can usually get is the Palm Springs area in summer, since people don't like the extreme heat, although this is technically still the June Gloom season when people like to go there.

Hint: All timeshare salesmen are liars and scammers. Never ever trust them.

Because of family members, I go out to the Coachella Valley regularly. June can be the hottest month of summer but dew points are comfortable compared to the other summer months. Just stay in the pool and you're have fun :)

Aletta is a major hurricane [140mph sustained wind] now. South swells should provide some nice surfing [ie. the Wedge/ Newport Beach] soon.  

That must be why the marine layer has gotten really scarce in the past week for Western Santa Barbara County.  

Staying with the marine focus: this "Heal the Bay" beach report draws the connection between drought conditions and ocean water quality [one of the few benefits of low rainfall]. Morro Bay received high marks for clean seawater.

https://healthebay.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/BRC_2017-18_LowRes_6-7-18.pdf

Typically June is a non-descript month of morning clouds/ hazy sun like it is this year. But the potential for early season monsoon/ tropical Pacific activity is a nice change. CPC has for several weeks been forecasting mid month rain in Arizona w/ potential showers in eastern California/ southern Nevada. Bring it on, Bud. B)

L: 63

Dewpoints exceeding 60° and not just at the coastline:

REDONDO BEACH N/A 75 62 62 SW3 29.78F 

LAGUNA BEACH N/A 73 65 74 CALM 29.76F

HUNTINGTON BCH N/A 74 65 72 SW7 29.80F

SAN MARCOS N/A 80 62 53 NW8 29.82F

Humidity advecting out of the Gulf of California:  Muggy for Mr Marine Layer.  

EL CENTRO NAS  MOSUNNY   89  60  37 VRB3      29.75S      

PHOENIX AZ     MOSUNNY   95  27   9 NE5       29.81S           

TUCSON AZ   MOSUNNY 95  21  7              29.93

Father's Day will barely break 70F even inland per MOS guidance. NWS_Phoenix is forecasting under 0.50 from whatever is left of Bud. Tucson looks to be wet for first time in many days.

L: 63  

ESCONDIDO        N/A     89  65  44 NW6       29.82S        

Heat indexes will likely occur west of mountains rather than the desert. How often does that occur?