2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Sunlight on Saddleback Mountain at 5 PM this afternoon. First time I have seen that since the time change.

Nice weather today, but still hazy despite the recent rainfall.

It was awfully hazy / smoggy here in Orange today considering it just rained the day before yesterday. I believe weak offshore flow was pushing all the smog from the Inland Empire into Orange County today.

With the exception of during the storm, the air quality has been rather poor here in Orange for the most part since at least Christmas Eve.

Sunset today is 20 minutes later than December 4 and the lighter evenings are starting to become noticeable. I need to have my sunglasses leaving work.

Santa Ana Winds are expected to develop and as a result battle will ensue between marine layer fog and offshore winds tonight, and the offshore winds should eventually win, but if they don't, beaches could be 15-20 degrees cooler than the forecast and dowtown L.A. could be 5-10 degrees cooler than forecast.

Tule fog is likely for the Central Valley.

Lake Forest recorded hottest temp in U.S. today: 90F

84/ 63

I question that high at Lake Forest. I simply don't think it got THAT hot today, although it was quite warm for an early January day with the Santa Ana winds. I feel that it reached the low and mid 80's in the warmer parts of Orange County.

I question that high at Lake Forest. I simply don't think it got THAT hot today, although it was quite warm for an early January day with the Santa Ana winds. I feel that it reached the low and mid 80's in the warmer parts of Orange County.

It was 88F in Huntington Beach & Long Beach [not far from Lake Forest].

Dry air and low sun angle make it feel less hot. At least there was no Red Flag Warning. Hope to get more rain next Friday.

It was 88F in Huntington Beach & Long Beach [not far from Lake Forest].

I was just checking the high temperatures around the region and saw those temps. I am still finding it hard to believe that it got that hot, though. It is quite warm tonight here in Orange from the wind, though, as it is around 72 right now.

Dry air and low sun angle make it feel less hot. At least there was no Red Flag Warning. Hope to get more rain next Friday.

I'm hoping for more rain next week, too. I would feel more comfortable if it is a chance vs a slight chance, but it is still a ways out and NWS is being conservative that far out for a good reason.

I'm hoping for more rain next week, too. I would feel more comfortable if it is a chance vs a slight chance, but it is still a ways out and NWS is being conservative that far out for a good reason.

Yeah, late in the week rainfall would be great.  Cooler temps will be nice also.  

• Like 1

I'm a bit skeptical too Dan, but I'm seeing it reported in the OC Register and LA Times. 

I'm in Modjeska Canyon just east of Lake Forest and we are generally more extreme, hot and cold, than than they are and our high yesterday was 82.

• Like 1

This will be the lowest snow level of winter ;)

NWS_LA

"During the day
  on Friday, plenty of cold air will crash into the area, dropping 
  snow levels to between 3000 and 4000 feet by Friday night. So, 
  there will be several inches of snow accumulation likely, 
  especially at the resort levels."

Solar noon is finally "correct" today, after being as early as 11:34 AM back in November. But that's only for our longitude. Solar noon is actually more than 9 minutes late in Greenwich, England, which is 0 longitude. That's called the Equation of Time.

SolarNoon12.png

Also, much cooler and cloudier today.

Afternoon conditions in Texas. 

SAN ANTONIO LGTSLEET 28 16 60 N16 30.68F WCI 16
HOUSTON BUSH LGTSLEET 26 22 84 N17G28 30.64F FOG WCI 13

I doubt subfreezing maximums in the lower elevations would ever happen in California. 

Solar noon is finally "correct" today, after being as early as 11:34 AM back in November. But that's only for our longitude. Solar noon is actually more than 9 minutes late in Greenwich, England, which is 0 longitude. That's called the Equation of Time.

attachicon.gifSolarNoon12.png

Also, much cooler and cloudier today.

In Santa Maria the Solar Noon is at 12:00PM on the Winter Solstice.