2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Sun was noticably higher and brighter this evening as I left work. Sunset now at 5:07 PM, while sunrise (6:54 AM) has yet to become earlier than the Winter Solstice. Back at the first day of Pacific Standard Time the sunrise was 6:13 AM and sunset was 4:54 PM.

Today was warmer again with the offshore flow, but tomorrow should be cooler and Friday much cooler.

Beautiful day again, but not good for the already dry winter.

I am getting tired of this endless smoggy weather pattern that seemed to have started around Christmas Eve. The only time the air has been better during this period is during the storm we had last week and the weak Santa Ana event a few days ago.

We need a more active rainy pattern to begin very soon. The entire western part of the country from the Rockies westward is doing quite horribly right now as far as rain and snow is concerned except for the far north regions like Montana and Washington.

I am getting tired of this endless smoggy weather pattern that seemed to have started around Christmas Eve. The only time the air has been better during this period is during the storm we had last week and the weak Santa Ana event a few days ago.

We need a more active rainy pattern to begin very soon. The entire western part of the country from the Rockies westward is doing quite horribly right now as far as rain and snow is concerned except for the far north regions like Montana and Washington.

As smoggy as it is here, and it seems to be more of a hazy mist in my area, it's much better than what they have in the Central Valley this time of year.

I wasn't aware of how smoggy coastal areas are this winter since offshore and/or neutral flow inland has meant good visibilities. Has this year been worse than normal? 

I wasn't aware of how smoggy coastal areas are this winter since offshore and/or neutral flow inland has meant good visibilities. Has this year been worse than normal? 

It has been persistently smoggy and ugly looking here in Orange since just before Christmas because the air has been so stagnant, due to an unchanging weather pattern. Normally the pattern is more progressive and variable this time of year, helping to keep the air well-mixed. The weak offshore winds blow all the pollution toward the coast, but it doesn't clear out because it isn't strong enough. Earlier in December when we were having all the winds, the air quality was much better except for possibly some dust at times.

As long as we remain in this stagnant, rainless pattern, the smog will continue to be an issue for this area. The weak storm forecast for tomorrow will likely help usher in a fresh air mass, hopefully.

I had high hopes for you guys this winter.  Phoenix is even worse.  Better start building desalinization plants.

I have been thinking the same exact thing regarding desalination plants. I fear that we are going to have water shortages in the future if we don't get the normal seasonal snowfall in the Sierras like we used to.

Overcast morning with no fog whatsoever and about half the people on the road have their stupid high beams on.

Looks like a morning in May and since it's nothing more than a deep marine layer I would not expect much rain from it. Chance of measurable precipitation is only 20% during the day and 50% tonight.

As is typical, the 2 Orange County airports got nothing while Lake Forest had some measurable rain due to its proximity to the Santa Ana Mountains. KSNA and KFUL get close to the lowest rainfall totals of all places in most storms and that's probably why they were built at the locations that they are.

Palm Springs got 0.01" from the storm. That's more than most of Orange County. Winds have failed to develop here so far. We are closer to the coast and lower in elevation than the Lake Forest reporting station which picked up 0.03", but I would expect similar amounts here from last night's showers.

It was quite windy in Long Beach this morning, but it has only been breezy in Orange. My area doesn't get the NW winds a strongly as areas closer to the coast and the Los Angeles area in general.

It has been windy all day here. NW wind sweep across the San Fernando valley and downslope out of the San Gabriel mountains. It seems like it is windy here quite often during winter esp at night so it mixes the air and elevates minimums compared to calm areas.  Nonetheless, today is quite chilly.

63/ 51   

It has been windy all day here. NW wind sweep across the San Fernando valley and downslope out of the San Gabriel mountains. It seems like it is windy here quite often during winter esp at night so it mixes the air and elevates minimums compared to calm areas.  Nonetheless, today is quite chilly.

63/ 51   

It did get somewhat windier here in Orange this afternoon after I posted earlier about the wind.

I think your area is more favored in NW wind events, as it seems that much of Los Angeles County is. There must be something in my area that blocks the brunt of these winds from reaching my area. However, my area is very prone to strong Santa Ana winds, since I am close to the Santa Ana Canyon and Santa Ana Mountains area.

I hope people in Utqiaġvik (Barrow), Alaska with heart problems are taking their Entresto because (singing voice) "the sun will come up tomorrow" for the first time since November 18. The full disc of the sun will not make it fully above the horizon and most likely be obstructed by clouds and landscape features, but people should be celebrating anyway. If you thought Barrow was bad, there's always Longyearbyen, where the sun will not rise until February 15.

Cold offshore flow and lack of an inversion is keeping the air nice and clear today as high clouds increase ahead of the next trough to pass to the north of us.

Is it frustrating to be at the bottom of a trough. All the energy of the past system shifted east into Mt West. The only semblance of winter are cold temps but nothing even close to widespread freezing. It is noteworthy that south Arizona has a freeze warning. Vegetable/ citrus damage has been in Texas/ Florida this winter but read that grapefruits survived. Coconuts took a hit in south Texas/ central Florida. :o

Chilly morning today. Have not been used to these here. I should have got out my winter jacket. Nevertheless, there was someone jogging in shorts.

The sun will be up from 1:26 PM to 1:52 PM in Barrow today for their first sunrise of 2018. Solar noon, with no clouds or obstructions to the horizon should look something like this.

BarrowJan22.png

Down here, sunset today (5:12 PM) is half an hour later than December 4 and 26 minutes later than Winter Solstice. Sunrise (6:52 AM) is still more than a minute later than Winter Solstice, but lighter mornings than December 21 begin this week. 

NWS_SF

DISCUSSION...As of 5:04 AM PST Monday...A cold front was slowly
moving southeastward this morning, Point Arena buoy indicated
frontal passage at midnight. Heavy rain and gusty winds developed
ahead of this front with isolated rain total reports 3.40" at
Venado, 2.54" Cazadero, and upwards of 1-2" over remaining
locations of Sonoma, Napa, and Marin counties. From last evening
and overnight locally wind gusts peaked to near 40 mph at Gualala
and Monte Rio, elsewhere over the Bay Area gusts locally reached up
to 20-30 mph.