2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

I am seriously hoping we haven't seen our last and only major storm of this season!

No way to deny that we are in deep doo-doo.  Every week without rain means we are losing ground in an already short rain season.  

• Like 1

Barrow's first day of sunrise/sunset since November 18 has passed with about 25 minutes of daylight and the top of the sun reaching an incredible 0.03 degrees above the horizon at solar noon. Unfortunately it was -27 F and overcast there for the event and the Barrow Sea Ice Webcam site is down. Tomorrow they get 1 hour and 20 minutes of daylight. Forecast shows mostly sunny by the weekend.

Here it's an uneventful day with no signs of any storms passing to the north as there's no marine layer or any high clouds.

That must be Venice Beach looking toward the Santa Monica Mountains with the Santa Monica Pier in the distance.

Richard Dickert, aerial weatherman for Channel 11 posts morning photos almost daily. Here's today's shot of what looks like Pacific Palisades

post-226-0-08320100-1516818180_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dan, we went through 5 years of drought only to in worse drought [maybe in history] once again.   

If we don't get any meaningful rain before the end of the season, we will definitely beat out 2006-07 for the driest year. I am really hoping for some late season storms later this season. It is very abnormal to this dry the entire season, and getting only one storm for the season is also very abnormal.

Frost and marine layer usually do not mix. It was sunny at sunrise, then it got really gloomy for a few hours and now it is mostly sunny again and chilly. The gloom was mostly over Orange County while San Diego County had much less clouds.

Sunrise has finally returned to the same time it was on the Winter Solstice, but evenings have gained nearly 29 minutes since then. Of course that means the sun is rising further to the East.

I can relate to the New Yorker cover due to being ill with a cold and then the flu [even though I got the shot] and now a sinus infection. This has been a warm/ dry winter but many here are "under the weather" nonetheless this year. 

73/ 50

I got sick on the day after Christmas with the flu and remained sick for 3 weeks, despite getting the flu shot. I have been getting the flu shot for about 20 years and I believe this is the only time that I got the flu when I already had the shot. This must be a new strain of flu going around this season because it has affected so many people nationwide.

This Santa Ana event here in Orange was a lot stronger than I expected. It seems that the forecasts were adjusted at the last minute to adjust for the increased wind speeds along with High Wind Warnings issued for the area.

That is where the heat is:

FULLERTON      FAIR      88  25  10 E15G25    30.10F       

OCEANSIDE AP   FAIR      90  28  11 NE13      30.06F