2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

We are pretty much at the half way point of astronomical winter and the weather is about as boring as it can get. Day langth is a tiny bit longer than when we began Pacific Standard Time on November 5. So that means pretty much everywhere the sunrise and sunset are a little over 30 minutes later than November 5.

It is absurd that the only measurement of change is that today didn't exceed 79F for the first time in over a week.  Per NWS "ensemble mean gives about a 15 percent probability" for rainfall over the upcoming weekend so I guess there is something to hope for. 

79/ 58

This dry pattern is getting ridiculous.

I am going to go out on a limb and say if we don't have rain by the beginning of March and there is still no rain in sight in the long range by then, then I am going to declare this season over and that it won't rain at all for the rest of winter or early spring.

It has been like pulling teeth in recent years to get it to rain in March for some reason.

Mornings starting to become noticably lighter now with the sunrise 10 minutes earlier than Winter Solstice. Sunset is 42 minutes later, however. Solar noon is at its latest this weekend and after that we start to gain more light in the morning than the evenings. Despite the Spring Equinox being more than a month ahead, the time of year at which we have the greatest rate of increasing daylight in the evening is behind us.

Daylight Saving Time is still in jeopardy of being stopped in California.

It is nice to see above normal rain prospects for Socal, but at the same time it would be nice to see that extended into Norcal as well, so the entire state has a chance of above normal precip. It is definitely better than nothing, though, as Socal has been the driest of all the regions.

It ain't real yet but a sight for sore eyes :)

All NWS stations nearby [Las Vegas/ Flagstaff/ Phoenix/ San Diego] agree that rain will occur next week; maybe several days of moisture for the Southwest. 

Maybe no more 90's for a while.

84/ 60

Neighbors yard this morning

post-226-0-28022300-1518143414_thumb.jpg

post-226-0-03630500-1518143416_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's a nice shot of a Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) in bloom. The bottom photo looks like either a dragon tree (Dracaena draco) or some type of yucca.

Thanks for the identifying the Dracaena trees [wasn't sure exactly what they were]; they look almost prehistoric.  

post-226-0-42001500-1518149872_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Weather could get interesting next week just when my brother and his wife are here from Germany hoping to enjoy some warm and sunny weather. Timing could not be any better.

I still am thinking it will be more just cool and cloudy weather than any significant rain. It would be nice to get some heavy rain and even some thunderstorms if it will be cool and cloudy.

Excited by the unfolding SSW event/ cold troughs & favorable POP's next week.   

I am, too, and I am really hoping the SSW event changes something in the big picture to get us out of this very warm and dry pattern that has been persistent for the most part since 2013.

With how bad this drought has been, I have been worried that we may get almost shut out completely of rainfall if this pattern continues unabated. In the past I have never worried about it not raining at all during the winter.

• Like 1

Another warm day at least during the middle of the day, but temperatures dropped quickly in the late afternoon.

Looks like the long awaited SSW event is supposed to bring weeks of bitterly cold weather to Europe, but they don't say much about it affecting California or causing a long term pattern change.

It will be quite an abrupt shift from onshore flow to offshore flow and back to onshore flow. I don't think I ever remember having Santa Ana Winds forecast one day and rain the next day, even if it's some pathetic marine layer drizzle that amounts to nothing.

A wet Santa Ana pattern is possible next week as well, but models still have a hard time coming into agreement because a cutoff low is a weatherman's woe.

My brother and his wife should enjoy a nice day tomorrow and the rest of the time they are here will not be great weather for them. They return to Berlin on the 21st, and the polar vortex could cause some record cold and snow due to the SSW event. Regardless of what the weather is like over here, it will be much warmer than Europe. My brother met his wife at a concert in Germany with his band, Horse the Band, so now he has a German wife and lives half way across the globe from us.

This has been brutal  but NCEP is very encouraging.

"..OVERVIEW...

A CLOSED LOW WILL WOBBLE OFF THE COAST OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA NEXT
WEEK BEFORE PUSHING INTO THE DESERT SOUTHWEST LATE IN THE WEEK
BRINGING WIDESPREAD RAIN AND HIGH ELEVATION SNOW TO THE REGION."

NWS_Sacramento

post-226-0-14478400-1518288478_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It is so strange to see leaves still falling in the middle of February. This warm winter so far has been very confusing to nature and it will be interesting to see if some of the leaves remain through spring and summer or if the new spring leaves push them out in a month. Looks like tomorrow is warm again, then Monday and Tuesday are cold and then things warm up again mid week even with a continuing chance of showers.

One concern is if we get into a prolonged cool pattern, the trees may think fall/winter has finally arrived and they may not get spring leaves until April or May.