1/10 - 1/11 Possible Severe Frontal Passage with intense snow showers

clintbeed1993

GFS has remained fairly consistent on a major winter storm affecting parts of the Northern and Central Great Plains.  It's looking like a Minnesota special at the moment but even Nebraska and parts of Iowa get in on the action.  Could this be the first official winter storm of the season?  Let's see what the EURO does over the next couple days.

post-133-0-45566900-1515302960_thumb.gif

• Like 4

Gfs ensembles look pretty far south

I only seen one map but does the ukie have the snow in the black hills? That’s the way it looks to me. If I had a gun to my head and had to decide which model to trust; I would probably go with the euro IMO. Gonna be a fun next couple of days; hopefully someone scores a big one from this!

Hr 120 looks interesting with that secondary low

Many runs of many models have been toying with that idea to varying degrees. But secondary lows are always finicky.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Ok this is odd but the precipitation maps clearly have heavy snow over us and we only manage a few inches still, that just doesn't seem right lol. But it was a huge surge south though which was a trend towards the GFS.

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

Ok this is odd but the precipitation maps clearly have heavy snow over us and we only manage a few inches still, that just doesn't seem right lol. But it was a huge surge south though which was a trend towards the GFS.

That's what I've been saying. First the GFS did this and now Euro is too. Ground temps won't be an issue so idk what's going on.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

That's what I've been saying. First the GFS did this and now Euro is too. Ground temps won't be an issue so idk what's going on.

This sounds stupid but what about air temps? 

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

This sounds stupid but what about air temps?

The changeover to snow looks like it'll happen right at 32. Maybe 33 but temps will be dropping quickly. Roads will be a mess regardless. Whether it be snow, flash freezing of previously fallen rain, or a nasty mix of the two.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Hell looking at temperatures and an extra .30-.35 of QPF on the backside with temperatures in the teens, that would be close to 6 inches here, not sure what the accumulation map is smoking.

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

Can’t see the map!

Dang it lol. Maybe you need a wxbell account to actually see it? Idk how to get a link for it without it being directly from wxbell. Shelby, NE gets 7" with 10:1 ratios on the map.

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"