1/10 - 1/11 Possible Severe Frontal Passage with intense snow showers

clintbeed1993

La Crosse goes with Winter Storm Watch.  Interesting considering the event basically starts in about 15 hours.

I think that is confirmation that they also have no idea what is going to happen.  Makes you wonder how any storm was reasonably forecasted 20+ years ago.  

• Like 1

They should have done that late last night. Rochester snow magnet is turned on. Not sure what they were waiting for.

If current trends hold they probably need another row of counties to the east as well.  

The watch is an interesting choice.  I am surprised they just didnt wait for the EURO and go advisory or warning.

Anticipating actual measurable precipitation (i.e. in excess of a trace) in the Black Hills today; first time this year.

Perhaps I should take a picture and frame it; for "next time" may never present itself...

How far below normal are you on the year? I know that region has been fairly dry since the Fall.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

If current trends hold they probably need another row of counties to the east as well.

The watch is an interesting choice. I am surprised they just didnt wait for the EURO and go advisory or warning.

I suppose they want to make the public aware of the trends. Although there’s nothing better than going from nothing to a warning. The fact that MPX hasn’t updated anything on the WWA or the HWO since very early this morning tells me they aren’t confident in anything right now. I still have 3-5” in my point.

Here's the problem with Euro. IT'S SHOWING RAIN DURING THE DAY TOMORROW! It's gonna be in the teens! How can liquid rain fall in mid to lower teens?! Add about another inch of snow from Lincoln to Fairbury due to that blunder.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

http://wx.graphics/models/ecmwf/2018011012/mw/ecmwf_acc_snow_mw_42.png

Ha! Southeast we go. At least every model is in agreement now. My grid point for tonight and tomorrow has changed from 1-3" tonight and 2-4" tomorrow, to 1" tonight and 2-4" tomorrow, and that appears overdone still. 

With that, I knew that at least provided a couple inch security blanket in case tonight's storm was underwhelming.

Worse comes to worse; you can always borrow one from Linus...

40 F here with snow as close Belle Fourche!

Might start as rain...as they say, maybe, maybe not!

16z HRRR with a over 0.1 LE...ground might even turn white again here; with a little bit of luck...

Ohh...my 216th post...if you think about it, 6 is the cubed root of 216, in other words it is equivalent to 6 x 6 x 6...

Channel 13 Meteorologist - "Most areas will see under 3" of snowfall. Two bands of heavier snow look to develop. One west/northwest Tri-Cities will try to get close to 4" while southeast Nebraska may see totals pushing 6"

I am west of Kearney, Hastings, Grand Island (tri-cities).  Some areas around me are getting close to 4" on the short range models.  Keep hope alive I guess.

Channel 13 Meteorologist - "Most areas will see under 3" of snowfall. Two bands of heavier snow look to develop. One west/northwest Tri-Cities will try to get close to 4" while southeast Nebraska may see totals pushing 6"

I am west of Kearney, Hastings, Grand Island (tri-cities). Some areas around me are getting close to 4" on the short range models. Keep hope alive I guess.

Did you see Travis Klanecky's post? His context was horrible. Posted a low-end snowfall map and said that was his last post as if to say that was his final post and no more shifts we're possible.

Here's the Euro's problem. On the tail end of the snowband, it's showing rain on the ptype. Now, if it were borderline temps this would be reasonable. But as you can see, temps at the time would be 18. Upper air temps are still cold. There is no meteorological explanation for a changeover to rain, thus the Euro blundered. And that blunder severely jacks down snow totals for anyone who gets "rain." That's why I said add an inch from Lincoln to Fairbury.

ecmwf_ptype_nebraska_6.png

ecmwf_t2m_nebraska_6.png

• Like 1

Did you see Travis Klanecky's post? His context was horrible. Posted a low-end snowfall map and said that was his last post as if to say that was his final post and no more shifts we're possible.

I didn't see that.  I follow Tim Reith from NTV (ABC) Channel 13 out of Kearney.  I took the information from his Twitter page.  I respect what Tim says.  I have always thought he had too much talent to be at a small station like this. 

Here's the Euro's problem. On the tail end of the snowband, it's showing rain on the ptype. Now, if it were borderline temps this would be reasonable. But as you can see, temps at the time would be 18. Upper air temps are still cold. There is no meteorological explanation for a changeover to rain, thus the Euro blundered. And that blunder severely jacks down snow totals for anyone who gets "rain." That's why I said add an inch from Lincoln to Fairbury.

Loss ice crystals in clouds??  We commenly end storms as mist around here for that reason.  Not saying the model is right just guessing thats why it is showing what it is.