February 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Fly out Saturday staying til next Saturday.

Don't think you are a golfer, but a friend is getting me on Estancia and whisper rock in Scottdale this year. Never thought th that would happen.

Any hikes off the beaten path u recommend?

You should be flying in with perfect timing.  Yup, not much of a golfer but I heard the courses are fantastic.  You don't want it to warm/hot anyway like it was earlier in the month.  I think low 70's are about as good as it gets for AZ standards in Feb.

As for local hikes, I would recommend Camelback mountain...it's close and has beautiful views from the top.  If you don't min a challenge, the best trail is Cholla Trailhead which comes up the east side of the mountain.  Get there early as this place is very popular.  I would try and go during the work week.

You should be flying in with perfect timing. Yup, not much of a golfer but I heard the courses are fantastic. You don't want it to warm/hot anyway like it was earlier in the month. I think low 70's are about as good as it gets for AZ standards in Feb.

As for local hikes, I would recommend Camelback mountain...it's close and has beautiful views from the top. If you don't min a challenge, the best trail is Cholla Trailhead which comes up the east side of the mountain. Get there early as this place is very popular. I would try and go during the work week.

Yes going to do camelback again. Did it last year and loved it.

• Like 1

We have now had our first above average month for snow since February 2016. Not that it's really hard to achieve.

Okay, we technically got a trace last May which is technically above average, but let's not count that.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Wow, what a difference a week makes. It is absolutely beautiful out there. The landscape is as good as it been around these parts in years. Just over 18" on the week, look to add a little more this morning.

The frequent and powdery nature of the snow events this week remind me vividly of the opening week of Jan ‘14. You can betcha I’m going to be taking frequent walks around the neighborhood to soak it all in. This historic stretch doesn’t happen to often so I’m thrilled to have experienced it with all of ya’ll!

• Like 2

A nice little warm-up coming next week(40s). Looking forward to that. :D

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

The frequent and powdery nature of the snow events this week remind me vividly of the opening week of Jan ‘14. You can betcha I’m going to be taking frequent walks around the neighborhood to soak it all in. This historic stretch doesn’t happen to often so I’m thrilled to have experienced it with all of ya’ll!

Hell yeah buddy, same here.  I missed out on the Jan '14 one.  I was in Jamaica and inevitably got stranded coming back.  I remember checking in on this forum for updates at the multiple airports I got stuck at.  When i did finally make it home, I was greeted to a driveway of knee-high powder (waist high at the end where the plow came by)

• Like 2

Chicago has a lot of catching up to do w only 23.3" thus far this season. Very snowless Winter so far for those folks, that's for sure.

April 2024:

Chicago has a lot of catching up to do w only 23.3" thus far this season. Very snowless Winter so far for those folks, that's for sure.

LOL...really???   After today's snow we are solidly above normal for the season Niko...it doesn't just snow in SE MI....

• Like 2

LOL...really???   After today's snow we are solidly above normal for the season Niko...it doesn't just snow in SE MI....

Yes really....from what it saids here.....unless, this info provided is not correct. I am thinking, the snows from 2-10 to today's date probably boosted it up from that number.

Seasonal Snowfall 2017-18

Through 2/9//2018

Marquette: 103.2"

Sault Ste. Marie: 82.3"

Grand Rapids: 62.6"

Detroit: 51.3"

Duluth 45.8"

International Falls: 40.5"

Rochester MN: 31.3"

Minneapolis: 30.7"

Milwaukee: 27.9"

Madison WI: 25.8"

Norfolk NE: 25.8"

Chicago O'Hare: 23.8"

Green Bay: 23.7"

Sioux Falls SD: 22.2"

Waterloo IA: 20.5"

Des Moines: 20.2"

Rapid City: 19.0"

Fargo: 18.0"

Bismarck: 15.5"

Lincoln: 14.2"

Mason City IA: 14.0"

Omaha: 12.4"

Pierre SD: 10.1"

Topeka: 7.2"

Springfield IL: 6.5"

Kansas City MO: 5.4"

St Louis: 4.8"

Tulsa OK: 2.0"

Wichita: 0.3"

Oklahoma City: 0.1"

April 2024:

Average snowfall for Chicago is in the mid 30” range if I remember correctly. It’s only mid-February this week. I’d say they are on pace to meet or exceed the average at this point. When you say they have a lot of catching up to do are you referring to their average, or other cities in this sub?

Yes really....from what it saids here.....unless, this info provided is not correct. I am thinking, the snows from 2-10 to today's date probably boosted it up from that number.

Seasonal Snowfall 2017-18

Through 2/9//2018

Marquette: 103.2"

Sault Ste. Marie: 82.3"

Grand Rapids: 62.6"

Detroit: 51.3"

Duluth 45.8"

International Falls: 40.5"

Minneapolis: 30.7"

Milwaukee: 27.9"

Madison WI: 25.8"

Norfolk NE: 25.8"

Chicago O'Hare: 23.8"

Green Bay: 23.7"

Sioux Falls SD: 22.2"

Des Moines: 20.2"

Rapid City: 19.0"

Fargo: 18.0"

Bismarck: 15.5"

Lincoln: 14.2"

Omaha: 12.4"

Pierre SD: 10.1"

Topeka: 7.2"

Springfield IL: 6.5"

Kansas City MO: 5.4"

St Louis: 4.8"

Tulsa OK: 2.0"

Wichita: 0.3"

Oklahoma City: 0.1"

Hence, my comment "after" today's snow we are solidly above normal...that 23.8" total likely does not include this current snow system which prob will come close to 5"

Edit: Just saw these totals are through 2/9 which doesn't include the 0.4" that fell yesterday as well at ORD...so, in essence, we are closing in on 30" for the season.

Average snowfall for Chicago is in the mid 30” range if I remember correctly. It’s only mid-February this week. I’d say they are on pace to meet or exceed the average at this point. When you say they have a lot of catching up to do are you referring to their average, or other cities in this sub?

O'Hare has 39.0" for an annual snow average.

Hence, my comment "after" today's snow we are solidly above normal...that 23.8" total likely does not include this current snow system which prob will come close to 5"

About 10 posts back..

The O'Hare Airport in Chicago saw 4/10ths of an inch of new snow today (as of the 4 PM Climate Report...and not reflected in the list I compiled & posted above)....and this likewise nudges them just past their normal year to date average.

• Like 1

I thought Chicago was at 23.5" for current date, so, I was referring for Winters seasonal average.

April 2024:

Edit: Just saw these totals are through 2/9 which doesn't include the 0.4" that fell yesterday as well at ORD...so, in essence, we are closing in on 30" for the season.

Okay...thanks for the correction.

Well, if your avg is at 35 or so stated by "St Paul Storm", then Chicago is not looking all that bad, in terms of snowfall. Still running below normal snowfall and its February. Have to say, it has not been the best Winter there for you guys.

April 2024:

I’m liking the ridge that should set up in the Atlantic the week after next. Hopefully we see some type of Colorado low or panhandle hook.

I'm nervous down here with that massive EC ridge...all the models are showing a stout -PNA pattern for the foreseeable future.  I don't see the active pattern backing down at all over the next 2 weeks.

Are you sure?  Last I checked it was 36.7"...

Edit: This article says 37.6"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/weather/ct-chicago-winter-amount-snowfall-htmlstory.html

Well, that is a newspaper article and one should never use a newspaper article to ascertain climatological data.

Secondly, they are giving an average back to the 19th century, but saying it comes from O'Hare Airport.

Since the Wright Brothers did not get into business until the 20th century; odds are the O'Hare record is likewise not characterized by such staggering prolixity...

• Like 2

The link is tricky, after reaching it...fill in your station of choice, then "Monthly Summarized Data"...then fill in the dates you want (year start to year end)...and then pick snowfall on the drop down menu...and then click on go.

I know, an absurdly circuitous route to get a snow chart.

Took me a while to find it...and memorize how to reach it.

I'm nervous down here with that massive EC ridge...all the models are showing a stout -PNA pattern for the foreseeable future.  I don't see the active pattern backing down at all over the next 2 weeks.

No doubt. My brother lives close to Raleigh, NC and they had 69 degrees at 730 this morning! :o It was 6 here. Lol

Looks like precipi might be coming to an end. Clouds will linger though throughout the day. Cant wait for some sun to finally retuyrn and those 40s w possible rain by next week. Will feel great to melt some of this snow and ice and clear up the roads.

April 2024:

Per NOAA:

The exiting Ohio valley surface low will draw the frontal zone south
and east toward the Atlantic coast tonight followed by a dry
northern stream front over the Great Lakes. This will usher in high
pressure and a clearing trend overnight into Monday. A welcome
period of dry conditions is then expected through mid week. This air
mass will be a continental/maritime hybrid and is expected to modify
into a warming trend during mid week. Highs are trending upward
to the lower 40s Wednesday and Thursday.

That will feel great. Melt a lot of that snow and clear up the roads. :D

April 2024:

"Kuchera" printing out 5.4 inches of snow overnight through Monday for Rapid City with the 12z NAM...on roughly a quarter inch liquid equivalent.

The NAM has done pretty well in the Black Hills the last few months; much, much better than the Canadian; so I'm pretty sure it will snow at least a little bit.

The wind setup is very good...out of the east & up the hill...when those east winds crash into the Eastern Slopes; some surprisingly good snowfalls can sometimes result.

That might be the strangest stat of all...since Mason City is hallway between Rochester & Waterloo...

A couple of spots in far NW Nebraska (near the Wyoming line) have seen more than 48 inches / 4 feet of snow on the season per the NHRSC snow map.

Parts of western Nebraska are over 4800' high.

The High Point is 5424"...more than one mile up. 

Currently @ 23F w cloudy skies and a light freezing drizzle falling.

April 2024:

Just finished snowplowing my property and it looks good. Lots of piles. My sub looks very wintery.  Easily ova a foot OTG. ;)

April 2024:

"Kuchera" printing out 5.4 inches of snow overnight through Monday for Rapid City with the 12z NAM...on roughly a quarter inch liquid equivalent.

The NAM has done pretty well in the Black Hills the last few months; much, much better than the Canadian; so I'm pretty sure it will snow at least a little bit.

The wind setup is very good...out of the east & up the hill...when those east winds crash into the Eastern Slopes; some surprisingly good snowfalls can sometimes result.

18z NAM now printing out 5.9".

Not sure what it is seeing that all the others are missing; though the 12z NMM (or is it NNM?) & ARW's were pretty wet...though they run off the NAM grid.

The Globals were pretty dry; but they might not be tuned to pick up a mesoscale event.

Should be a good test for the NAM.

Not sure what it is seeing that all the others are missing; though the 12z NMM (or is it NNM?) & ARW's were pretty wet...though they run off the NAM grid.

The Globals were pretty dry; but they might not be tuned to pick up a mesoscale event.

Well

What do you know

At 5:50 PM

It started to snow...

Its going to be a cold night. Skies are starting to finally clear slowly and temps are @ 14F.

April 2024:

The airport is always lower then everywhere else around here. I'd say my area in Omaha is at about 16 inches so far. Average is 17. So if we get one good storm of at least 6-8 inches then we are at our winters avg snow total.

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

The Rapid City NWS WFO reported 6/10 ths of an inch of new snow @ Midnight MST...all on 0.01 liquid / 60:1!

Talk about getting the most for your money!

Alas, Tabitha could make no such grand a claim...coming in with a mere 2/10ths of an inch of snow as per the Same Hour...