February 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

1.1 inches now, could end up with 2.

Some spots of yellow on radar are approaching Bud, so he could get some 2"/hr bursts.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

FWIW, 12z Euro came in wetter across C/N IL with .15-.20 qpf and radar trends certainly paint a snowy picture.  I-80 corridor in N IL looks like they can score 2" out of this.  Quick thump snow on tap for the day...ICON/GGEM sniffed this sneaky system out a few days ago.

0.8" imby. Forecast was all wrong. Snow was expected to be mainly north of highway 20 but the higher totals were way south. Snow stretches all the way down to N MO.
​There was another massive car pile up on I-35 in central IA. I wonder how Des Moines NWS feels about their morning AFD right now.

We currently reside within a weak warm air advection regime ahead of
an approaching
shortwave trough. Mid-level forcing associated with
the
trough is generating light snow upstream over South Dakota, and
this will progress across northern Iowa later this morning. Have
increased
POPs to categorical up north of Highway 20, but amounts
will be light, generally under an inch with only a dusting at best
down toward Highway 30. There should be little impact from this
snowfall, especially on a Saturday morning with no typical morning
commute traffic.

• Like 1

1.9" total in my yard from 0.14" liquid.  This was a nice little surprise.  The sky has quickly brightened and the temp has jumped from 27 to 31, so melting has already commenced.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

0.8" imby. Forecast was all wrong. Snow was expected to be mainly north of highway 20 but the higher totals were way south. Snow stretches all the way down to N MO.

​There was another massive car pile up on I-35 in central IA. I wonder how Des Moines NWS feels about their morning AFD right now.

People often argue that errors in weather forecasting occur because meteorology is an "inexact science"...but this assumption is False.

Meteorology is an exact science; the problem stems from two sources; one, the models that simulate the atmosphere cannot account for all the factors that influence the weather because too many exist and not all can be incorporated into a numerical model; and two...not every single chemical reaction that influences weather is fully understood by the scientists; thus those aforementioned models do not fully simulate the nature of the reactions within the atmosphere.

• Like 1

Looks like a blizzard came through as everything is covered in white. Snowing pretty darn hard

Nature just wanted to remind us that it indeed is still Winter around here...

Yep - Went from clear to near whiteout very quickly. And in 48 hours, nature will remind us that spring is nearing with 60s and T-storms.
  • Like 2

Prob 2" per hour rates coming down

nice surprise here in Hobart Indiana near white out conditions......looks awesome!!

This stuff is beautiful...the landscape is caked with snow...gosh I love this stuff...wonder how much we can tally up today and inch closer to the 20" mark for the month...

I find it puzzling; how posts that say "do you think it will snow" garner 20 "likes"...while my well-thought out essays go ignored.

You see, I inhabit a world where every kid gets a trophy...every kid except the one who actually won the contest.

Posting here isn't a contest.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I find it puzzling; how posts that say "do you think it will snow" garner 20 "likes"...while my well-thought out essays go ignored.

You see, I inhabit a world where every kid gets a trophy...every kid except the one who actually won the contest.

Do you post simply to get ‘likes’? Seems a bit odd. The vast majority of posts are not liked or quoted.

Posting here isn't a contest.

Some days I like posts, some days I don't. I'm a bit different like that though. I've never liked posts as a personal vendetta. Lol. Some posts I simply like as a way of showing that, while I read the post and enjoyed it's content, I didn't have a reply. Just wanted the person to know I read it. If that makes any sense?

• Like 2

Well the world may not like Me; but that only makes me love myself even more.

For I am Tabitha; and I am all I have.

And all my posts are lovely, angelic, and perfect in every way.

Never will I allow the Universe...or its Masters...defeat Me.

I have transcended matter...I will transcend time...and I will prevail.

-------------------------------

Yet I will try the last

So lay on MacDuff...

And da mn be (s)he who first cries

Hold; enough...

Pretty darn nippy this morning with a fresh, sparkling snow cover and clear skies. Temps have tanked into the low teens (13F). Just dropped off my sister and her kiddos at ORD. The landscape looks prestine along with the cold temps you would have no clue that we are about to begin the torch period later today.

• Like 1

With the half inch of new snow Grand Rapids got yesterday that brings the total for the season here to 66.8"  Today might  be the last day we see of pure white for some time. Other snow fall totals are Muskegon 91.6" Flint 65.6" Detroit 52.7" Lansing 45.3" Saginaw 31.1" Alpena 37.1" that is -21.6" below the average (as of this date) Houghton Lake 34.9" that is -14.7" below average. Gaylord 91.1" 17.4" below aberage. Traverse City 83.3" +1.9" West Branch 28.2" -8.5" Petoskey 98.5" -2.8" Sault Ste Marie 84.8" -8.6" As you can see much of northern Michigan is well below average in the snow fall but it should be noted that they can get a lot of snow in March and April.

Sunny and bright w some snow on the ground from last night. Not a lot fell and all will be gone next week, even the huge piles will be history in a week or so. Temp @ 28F. Looking forward to some nice, milder temps.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"