Snowfall Totals For Whatcom County Feb 21 To March 2

snow_wizard

I'd be very interested to know of any hard snowfall data for northern Whatcom County and places like Abbottsford for the period in question.  I do see the University of Utah site indicates Lynden had 17.1 inches in late Feb, but the data for last weekend won't come out until early April presume.

Lynden is on my short list of places to move and I'm trying to get a better handle on how that area has done since 2000.  The Clearbrook data has become very spotty in recent years and most other stations don't keep snowfall records at all in that general area.  I would also be interested in a link to the site that has historic records for Abbottsford.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'd be very interested to know of any hard snowfall data for northern Whatcom County and places like Abbottsford for the period in question.  I do see the University of Utah site indicates Lynden had 17.1 inches in late Feb, but the data for last weekend won't come out until early April presume.

Lynden is on my short list of places to move and I'm trying to get a better handle on how that area has done since 2000.  The Clearbrook data has become very spotty in recent years and most other stations don't keep snowfall records at all in that general area.  I would also be interested in a link to the site that has historic records for Abbottsford.

I'm not sure how accurate that report of 17 inches in Lynden is. Clearbrook recorded 12 inches, which is in line with other reports throughout the north county. Also, Lynden had more sleet / freezing rain than snow last weekend. You will still have more snow there than Bellingham on average and it lasts longer too, but you can also end up just dry and windy at times as well.

PS - Clearbrook shows 4 inches for last weekend.

I don't really trust the 17 inches, heaviest local totals on February 22-24 were in the hilly areas around Lake Whatcom/Lake Padden and they were generally in the 12-14" range.

I had 11" with the February 22-24 storm and 2" on March 1. Puts me up to about 15.5" on the winter, right about average.

Absolutely worst aspect of Lynden is the wind.   Just blows the snow away.   I have seen numerous times when its beautifully snowy with flocked trees and all at my parent's house and down to Sudden Valley along Lake Whatcom while Lynden and Ferndale are blown clean.

Lynden does have sunnier weather than we do down here for sure and much less rain... that is nice.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I don't really trust the 17 inches, heaviest local totals on February 22-24 were in the hilly areas around Lake Whatcom/Lake Padden and they were generally in the 12-14" range.

I had 11" with the February 22-24 storm and 2" on March 1. Puts me up to about 15.5" on the winter, right about average.

I was surprised to see the 17 inches for Lynden.  It showed snow on 4 consecutive days with a max depth of 10 inches (may have been higher in between the time of the observations).  6 or 7 inches of settling does seem a bit high with the temps fairly cold throughout the event.  When I looked at the Clearbrook records the observations were incomplete for the last half of the month so who knows.  At any rate you guys did well up there.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Absolutely worst aspect of Lynden is the wind.   Just blows the snow away.   I have seen numerous times when its beautifully snowy with flocked trees and all at my parent's house and down to Sudden Valley along Lake Whatcom while Lynden and Ferndale are blown clean.

Lynden does have sunnier weather than we do down here for sure and much less rain... that is nice.

They do incredibly well when the Arctic air just bleeds into the north interior though.  In winters like 1936-37 they had substantial snow on the ground for weeks on end with little in the way of wind problems.  Some winters the wind does cause major drifting and a lot does blow away though.  The climate there has always fascinated me.  Some winters are absolute duds while others have full raging blizzards with huge snow drifts.  The drifts in Jan 1950 were about 15 feet.  Their coldest Januaries are actually colder than the coldest Jans on record for many cities in the NE United states.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

They do incredibly well when the Arctic air just bleeds into the north interior though.  In winters like 1936-37 they had substantial snow on the ground for weeks on end with little in the way of wind problems.  Some winters the wind does cause major drifting and a lot does blow away though.  The climate there has always fascinated me.  Some winters are absolute duds while others have full raging blizzards with huge snow drifts.  The drifts in Jan 1950 were about 15 feet.  Their coldest Januaries are actually colder than the coldest Jans on record for many cities in the NE United states.

I think for you, Lynden would be a safe bet. Sure the snow gets blown away in some instances, but you enjoy the strong winds and blizzard like snow. And plus, if you need to see snowcaked trees all you have to do is drive west a few miles or come into Bellingham. Plus, we need a REAL spotter in Lynden!!! 

I wouldn’t doubt the 17” totals either. There were unofficial reports in Komo4 during that event of a spotter reporting 17” on the NE part of the county out near Sumas I believe. The foothills around Lake Whatcom were definitely the true winners, mainly because of the 34*F snow that fell the entire day on Saturday the 22nd. It was all

I think for you, Lynden would be a safe bet. Sure the snow gets blown away in some instances, but you enjoy the strong winds and blizzard like snow. And plus, if you need to see snowcaked trees all you have to do is drive west a few miles or come into Bellingham. Plus, we need a REAL spotter in Lynden!!! 

I wouldn’t doubt the 17” totals either. There were unofficial reports in Komo4 during that event of a spotter reporting 17” on the NE part of the county out near Sumas I believe. The foothills around Lake Whatcom were definitely the true winners, mainly because of the 34*F snow that fell the entire day on Saturday the 22nd. It was all <32*F snow at about 750 feet and above. It was knee deep at 1300 feet.  

It's almost certainly between Lynden, Leavenworth, and Spokane.  All have pros and cons in the big picture.  The problem with Lynden weather wise is there is still potential for back to back crappy winters.  If I moved there and had two losers to kick things off I would not be happy.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's almost certainly between Lynden, Leavenworth, and Spokane.  All have pros and cons in the big picture.  The problem with Lynden weather wise is there is still potential for back to back crappy winters.  If I moved there and had two losers to kick things off I would not be happy.

If I were you I would just leave the whole maritime thing behind and go east of the Cascades.

My Aunt and Uncle live in Lynden and seem to really like it. Then again they aren't weather nuts.

• Like 1

If I were you I would just leave the whole maritime thing behind and go east of the Cascades.

My Aunt and Uncle live in Lynden and seem to really like it. Then again they aren't weather nuts.

They can get some vicious winters there and sometimes 3 or 4 in one decade.  At the same time there is so much potential for more agonizing winters there.  I'm really hoping Leavenworth will work out in the end.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

They can get some vicious winters there and sometimes 3 or 4 in one decade.  At the same time there is so much potential for more agonizing winters there.  I'm really hoping Leavenworth will work out in the end.

I am rooting for you buddy. That is a stunning area.

I wouldn't describe our winters in Whatcom County as vicious. Lynden's best winters are a worse than average year in Spokane and are not markedly different than the rest of western WA.

I wouldn't describe our winters in Whatcom County as vicious. Lynden's best winters are a worse than average year in Spokane and are not markedly different than the rest of western WA.

I was referring to the winters where they get true blizzards and major drifting snow.  I remember seeing some footage on the news from up there that was epic from a few winters in the 80s and 90s.  Deep snow and screaming winds.  Not many other places in the state see that kind of wind when it's that cold.

I'm sure you are aware of how much colder certain Januaries are up there compared to the rest of Western WA also.  Jan 1969 averaged 23 degrees in Clearbrook while Seattle averaged 33 as an example.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I was referring to the winters where they get true blizzards and major drifting snow.  I remember seeing some footage on the news from up there that was epic from a few winters in the 80s and 90s.  Deep snow and screaming winds.  Not many other places in the state see that kind of wind when it's that cold.

I'm sure you are aware of how much colder certain Januaries are up there compared to the rest of Western WA also.  Jan 1969 averaged 23 degrees in Clearbrook while Seattle averaged 33 as an example.

In the distant past there have been some very continental Januaries, yes, but the climate here is the same as the rest of western WA. Maritime in nature with bare ground for 95% or more of an average winter. You will go weeks without seeing a hard freeze in the winter. Rain will be 98% of your precip. Median winter snowfall will be around 10". There's no extreme difference and it's fairly short sighted to put the climate up here on some pedestal. You will do better with occasional events but it's still a borderline and heavily moderated climate for legitimate winter weather, and over time that would become pretty apparent. There's lots of nice reasons to live around here, but vastly different winter weather isn't one of them.

Spokane or Leavenworth are both a different world compared to Lynden in the winter.

In the distant past there have been some very continental Januaries, yes, but the climate here is the same as the rest of western WA. Maritime in nature with bare ground for 95% or more of an average winter. You will go weeks without seeing a hard freeze in the winter. Rain will be 98% of your precip. Median winter snowfall will be around 10". There's no extreme difference and it's fairly short sighted to put the climate up here on some pedestal. You will do better with occasional events but it's still a borderline and heavily moderated climate for legitimate winter weather, and over time that would become pretty apparent. There's lots of nice reasons to live around here, but vastly different winter weather isn't one of them.

Spokane or Leavenworth are both a different world compared to Lynden in the winter.

I would argue that even the central Columbia Gorge has a colder, markedly more continental climate overall than the Lower Fraser Valley.

Here is the data for Abbotsford: http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=BC&StationID=50308&dlyRange=2012-06-21|2014-03-06&Year=2014&Month=2&cmdB1=Go#

The data is generally reliable, but sometimes you have to take the snowfall measurements with a grain of salt. For example, they recorded a peak depth in February of 25 cm (10"), but the daily totals only add up to 21.8 cm. There's clearly some data missing there.

I'd be inclined to believe the 10" peak depth is accurate. It compares well with my own observations. They only recorded 6.2 cm at the beginning of March, and I'm pretty sure that is accurate, as well.

Here are the normals for Abbotsford: http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_1981_2010_e.html?stnID=702&autofwd=1

The station is just over a mile from the US/Canada border, so I'm guessing the climate right next to the border is very similar. The normal snowfall is 55.3 cm or 21.7". I'm not sure how that compares to BLI.

FWIW, average annual snowfall has been decreasing rapidly over the last 30 years.

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222/abbywx/cyxx_snowfall_average_1954-_zps91acb35a.png

If you want to do some digging back through the historical records, they go back to 1944: http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?StationID=702&timeframe=2&cmdB1=Go&Year=1944&Month=10&cmdB1=Go#

I don't know. I think Stevenson and Lynden are probably fairly comparable as far as snow/cold weather are concerned, with Stevenson getting a slight edge.

Stevenson is still pretty maritime, way too many 45/40 with rain type days in the winter and snowcover is often fleeting.

I would argue that even the central Columbia Gorge has a colder, markedly more continental climate overall than the Lower Fraser Valley.

I'm really not sure that's true.  There have been instances when the outflow winds have been as low 4 degrees at Clearbrook.  In some cases it depends on the decade in question. 

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I agree.  No question there would still be winters where I ended up not happy living in Lynden.

I've wanted to live in a place where the lakes regularly freeze over and there is long lasting snow cover nearly every winter for quite some time now.  I guess the days of thinking it's worth holding out for an old fashioned 1950s type winter have passed me by.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm really not sure that's true.  There have been instances when the outflow winds have been as low 4 degrees at Clearbrook.  In some cases it depends on the decade in question. 

We had 14 degree outflow out here just last month.

We had 14 degree outflow out here just last month.

That was a pretty solid event for sure.  Even here we had 18 degrees with wind during that.  This winter never did have a great outflow event for the Fraser.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That was a pretty solid event for sure.  Even here we had 18 degrees with wind during that.  This winter never did have a great outflow event for the Fraser.

That was an awesome event. Pretty much made the winter for me. Although there were several aspects of this winter that I enjoyed.

As for comparing the two climates, don't get me wrong, the Fraser Valley has a much cooler climate overall than the Columbia Gorge, due simply to their more northerly latitude. Lynden is wayyy closer to salt water than Stevenson, so the very fact that they can give us a run for our money is impressive.

When I was younger I dated a girl  who lived in Lynden.

I visited her parents quite a few times in the mid 2000s. I remember quite a few times in the winter when they would have snow drifts 3 and 4 feet high at their home while the majority of Western Washington had nothing on the ground.

When it does snow in Lynden, it can rival anything I ever witnessed living in the upper Midwest.

Lynden can do pretty well depending on the circumstances. It is a bit too far out for my tastes, but you should seriously consider living there.

Plus the area around their is beautiful.

I agree.  No question there would still be winters where I ended up not happy living in Lynden.

I've wanted to live in a place where the lakes regularly freeze over and there is long lasting snow cover nearly every winter for quite some time now.  I guess the days of thinking it's worth holding out for an old fashioned 1950s type winter have passed me by.

I don't ever remember a winter in Lynden where you would have had snowcover all winter.  And, even though there are times when Lynden gets hammered and Bellingham gets just a little bit, there are times when everything is south of Lynden and Bellingham.  I remember February 1989, as cold as it was, we had hardly any snow in Bellingham or Lynden.

Spokane or Leavenworth would be a better bet for longer lasting snow.  Although there are no lakes in the city of Leavenworth, you can go to places like Fish Lake,about 20 minutes from here, which does freeze and they even ice skate.  (Actually within a year or two Leavenworth will have its own ice rink).

What is nice is that if there is a forecast bust, you know you will get snow the next time.  

When I was younger I dated a girl  who lived in Lynden.

I visited her parents quite a few times in the mid 2000s. I remember quite a few times in the winter when they would have snow drifts 3 and 4 feet high at their home while the majority of Western Washington had nothing on the ground.

When it does snow in Lynden, it can rival anything I ever witnessed living in the upper Midwest.

Lynden can do pretty well depending on the circumstances. It is a bit too far out for my tastes, but you should seriously consider living there.

Plus the area around their is beautiful.

I really like the feel of it there and it is certainly close on aspect of snow in the winter. If I had any real confidence the weather actually will shift more toward the good old days when the solar grand minimum really starts kicking in, I would go for it without hesitation. The problem is...I'm not that confident.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Guest Monty67

Well I don't live in Whatcom county but Shawnigan Lake received 22" of snow during the late February/ early march period.  Nanaimo, BC looks like they came in with 29" officially, although higher elevations of the city had higher amounts, probably approaching 36".

This is OT, but I Just got back from Cuba, it was an amazing trip.  Hot and humid for sure, still feeling the affects of some sun stroke I picked up on the last day. It was sunny every day with low to mid-80's and only 2 evenings featured thunder showers. Kind of an interesting country, most people are very poor but all education is free including university.  Also, health care and dentistry is free and day-care is subsidized by the government to some extent.  There is no property tax and no tax on your salary.  Most of the employees at the resorts are highly educated with degrees, our Bartender was an engineer.  They make more money in tips then they could dream of making working as an engineer in the country.

Well I don't live in Whatcom county but Shawnigan Lake received 22" of snow during the late February/ early march period.  Nanaimo, BC looks like they came in with 29" officially, although higher elevations of the city had higher amounts, probably approaching 36".

This is OT, but I Just got back from Cuba, it was an amazing trip.  Hot and humid for sure, still feeling the affects of some sun stroke I picked up on the last day. It was sunny every day with low to mid-80's and only 2 evenings featured thunder showers. Kind of an interesting country, most people are very poor but all education is free including university.  Also, health care and dentistry is free and day-care is subsidized by the government to some extent.  There is no property tax and no tax on your salary.  Most of the employees at the resorts are highly educated with degrees, our Bartender was an engineer.  They make more money in tips then they could dream of making working as an engineer in the country.

Sounds like I need to go there. Were there gambling casinos with table games? 

Guest Monty67

Sounds like I need to go there. Were there gambling casinos with table games?

Sounds like there hasn't been any gambling there for decades but apparently there is the odd cockfight on Saturdays out in the farming communities. If you're into that type of gambling.

Sounds like there hasn't been any gambling there for decades but apparently there is the odd cockfight on Saturdays out in the farming communities. If you're into that type of gambling.

Not into gambling. I meant for purposes of dealing cards as a career there.