Super Bowl Weekend Snow

Tom

At 5:20 PM MDT the snow is coming down a bit more earnestly and the temperature has fallen back to about 14 F. There is also some fog & blowing snow.

Wind has slackened considerably and is light out of the north.

I am in a good snow town...

It is the only spot in the Universe where at the height of the blizzard the skies are partly cloudy...

You should see it when the storm ebbs!

If I moved to the top of Mt. McKinley; it would sunny and 70 F on New Years Day.

As my father use to say, "Somebody up there don't like me."

Lolz

Well, at least the ground turned white...

yep, ripping pretty nicely 

Nice, now lets see what tomorrow morning brings.  Would be nice to score another 1" if possible.  Not asking for much more since this storm trended the other way today.  At least this snow will set a base for the next one in line on Monday night.

Tony should be getting hit pretty hard right now in DuPage.

Nice, now lets see what tomorrow morning brings. Would be nice to score another 1" if possible. Not asking for much more since this storm trended the other way today. At least this snow will set a base for the next one in line on Monday night.

Tony should be getting hit pretty hard right now in DuPage.

Probably have the sane as you Tom. Showing pretty good still. Hope it can continue to fill in.
  • Like 1

I am in a good snow town...

It is the only spot in the Universe where at the height of the blizzard the skies are partly cloudy...

You should see it when the storm ebbs!

If I moved to the top of Mt. McKinley; it would sunny and 70 F on New Years Day.

As my father use to say, "Somebody up there don't like me."

Lolz

Well, at least the ground turned white...

I would like to move to a place where I don't need a pair of binoculars to see a snowflake.

People in the East are under a severe misapprehension.  The general consensus is that The Upper Great Plains (specifically North Dakota, South Dakota, & Nebraska) is a frozen tundra from late October through April; with constant blizzards and snowdrifts that reach the eaves.  I was likewise under that misapprehension.

I've only been here 6 months; but nothing could be further from the truth.

Note I did omit Minnesota; which has had a pretty good winter so far.

I would like to move to a place where I don't need a pair of binoculars to see a snowflake.

People in the East are under a severe misapprehension.  The general consensus is that The Upper Great Plains (specifically North Dakota, South Dakota, & Nebraska) is a frozen tundra from late October through April; with constant blizzards and snowdrifts that reach the eaves.  I was likewise under that misapprehension.

I've only been here 6 months; but nothing could be further from the truth.

Note I did omit Minnesota; which has had a pretty good winter so far.

So there is great truth to the saying:

"Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement."

Or, as Daddy would say, "You live & learn"

This area is too far west and thus unable to tap Gulf Moisture; obviously way too far west to get help from the Lakes; and not high enough to profit from what you would call the "Rocky Mountain Climate".

The only things good (snow-wise) are there is practically never any rain / snow questions from November through March (and really part of April)...and the ratios are admittedly good.

In fairness, I am in an extremely unfavorable area climatologically (snow-wise) compared with the rest of the Black Hills; being at a low altitude and even worse; being on the leeward (east) side. 

Never move to the lee side of a mountain if you like snow.  You would be far better to live 50 feet below sea level on the East Coast.

It is sort of like living in Niagara Falls, NY; a notoriously bad area for snow north of Buffalo; where go 30 miles to the SE and the annual snowfall increases 300%

Though everyone is below normal snow-wise in this area; some parts have had what you could call a serviceable winter.

A very pretty area; but awful for snow where I am at; at least this winter.

Then the other interesting thing is the scope of the error with the numerical modeling...even the very good models!

Consistently; models bringing in 1/2 LE...1.0 inch LE...even while the event is in progress!

Then the amounts actually measured are usually from 1/100 inch to 1/10 inch.  That's amazing error for 2018!

I think I wrote the other day that the NWS WFO out here always predicts the lowest amounts possible; as they must be well-aware of the extraordinary bias / error with the models; something I credited them with by noting how they have had an outstanding winter; forecast wise.

Note how I have become more sedate and accepting subsequent to another snow-disaster; no longer stark-raving mad am I...

Also, after about 10 consecutive snow-disasters this winter; it more or less stood to reason that this one would likewise follow suit; it was the only outcome possible; and I knew it.  Patterns are very hard to break in this dimension; especially bad ones.

Denial; anger; acceptance.

That's called maturity!

Radar doesn't do justice to how well it was coming down. Decent sized flakes. Wouldn't call them fat, but definitely enough to make an impact. I just measured about a half inch on grass. Still coming down but lighter now.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Still snowing here, though seems to be the last bit of it rolling through. Definitely would put this one in the win column.

You guys scored on the last batch of snow this morning.  How much did you pick up in total?  I think we officially have a little over an inch.  The landscape is all white around here so I guess that is a bonus!  Ha!

• Like 1

You guys scored on the last batch of snow this morning. How much did you pick up in total? I think we officially have a little over an inch. The landscape is all white around here so I guess that is a bonus! Ha!

I’d guess a solid 5 inches or so between yesterday noon and right now, that’s just a guess though by looking at it, we’ve had some wind that’s blown things round a bit.

• Like 1

I’d guess a solid 5 inches or so between yesterday noon and right now, that’s just a guess though by looking at it, we’ve had some wind that’s blown things round a bit.

Awesome!  Looks like we have a busy week of tracking more systems.  The late Fri into Sat one has your area written all over it.  N IL may be in line also per latest ensembles data.

• Like 1

Temp of -7 and a WC of -27 currently. Fresh snowpack really doing work on temps. Snowblowing the driveway this morning is going to sting. This was a nice all-day event yesterday.

#ArcticTundra....now that is what I like to hear during a MN winter!  Chuck an extra log or two into the fireplace and enjoy the game today!