February Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Deweydog

Tomorrow through Saturday morning presents an interesting question.  I think it's fairly likely the models are being too stingy with precip amounts for tomorrow for whatever reason.  I'm really liking Sat morning for snow in the EPSL as the flow turns NNW at the 850mb and 700mb levels.  The WRF has moisture and low 925mb temps early Saturday morning as well.  It is possible we could go through the period with no rain when looking at 925mb temps.  They will only spike to zero for a brief time east of Puget Sound.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It was incredibly pretty here this morning just before sunrise when the snow was glowing under a crisp blue sky.  It dropped to 22 so everything was totally froze up and powdery.  Just doesn't get any better than that.  It is kind of disheartening how the late Feb sun eats the snow though.

Also worth noting SEA wiped out their weakest February record today when it dropped to 26 breaking the record of 30.  The 26 is right in line with many of the record this time of year.  I think this was their first record low in like 3 years or some such thing.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

d**n shame PDX just barely brushed 40 today. With tomorrow looking cold they could have strung together four consecutive highs in the 30s, which has got to be getting into pretty rarefied territory for this late.

At least we stopped at 40, preserving a 4 day streak of 40 or lower. We have a shot at 5 tomorrow which would be a late-season record.

Looking back, only later streak of 4 days was from March 2-5, 1960. Next latest had been Feb. 12-15, 1990 so we just moved past that one with today's 40. March 1951 had a ridiculous stretch of 8 straight days 41 or lower, and Feb 1993 also had a 41 pop in to ruin what would have been a long streak. 

Current latest streak of 5 as well as 6 days was Feb 4-9, 2014. 

• Like 1

Checking SEA numbers - today was the 5th consecutive high in the 30's. 

SEA did have 8 straight 30's at later points in the season:

March 3-10, 1951

Feb 24 - March 3, 1962

However, the current streak is the 3rd latest. Only other streak that's in the ballpark is 7 straight from Feb. 12-18, 1990. 

• Like 3

Warmest spot in the State of Oregon tonight is Brookings. At 39.  With the way this winter had gone, that's pretty insane.

• Like 3

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

00z 12km NAM shows a beautiful CZ work it's way down the Sound starting around Skagit County and working down through King County where it parks from 4PM Sunday to 4AM Monday. This is after it shows a CZ both Saturday morning and Saturday night.

These NW flow systems are great for CZs and they would allow more people, not just those with elevation, to score a couple inches. It will be a fun weekend of watching the radar.

Or 13” like convergence zone that dumped on me last weekend!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

At least we stopped at 40, preserving a 4 day streak of 40 or lower. We have a shot at 5 tomorrow which would be a late-season record.

Looking back, only later streak of 4 days was from March 2-5, 1960. Next latest had been Feb. 12-15, 1990 so we just moved past that one with today's 40. March 1951 had a ridiculous stretch of 8 straight days 41 or lower, and Feb 1993 also had a 41 pop in to ruin what would have been a long streak.

Current latest streak of 5 as well as 6 days was Feb 4-9, 2014.

Great info. Hard to imagine us getting above 40 tomorrow, so we may have that record in the bag. I love looking at all of those other cold stretches around this time of year too. This one stacks up pretty well all things considered.

Meanwhile, we need to get these debris clouds out of here now so we can set another record low tomorrow morning. The number to beat is 25 from 1993. Seems pretty doable if it clears out as forecast.

00z 12km NAM shows a beautiful CZ work it's way down the Sound starting around Skagit County and working down through King County where it parks from 4PM Sunday to 4AM Monday. This is after it shows a CZ both Saturday morning and Saturday night.

These NW flow systems are great for CZs and they would allow more people, not just those with elevation, to score a couple inches. It will be a fun weekend of watching the radar.

Indeed.  We should have several opportunities.  With true NW flow the C-Zones are likely to work further south than normal.  It has been strange watching how stingy the models have been with any snow chances for the Central Puget Sound.  Last night shows they are obviously far from perfect on that thought..

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

SEA is on a great roll.  A -12 departure after a -14 yesterday.  Really solid cold snap.

IMBY I have had back to back 22 degree lows and tomorrow could go even lower.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Indeed. We should have several opportunities. With true NW flow the C-Zones are likely to work further south than normal. It has been strange watching how stingy the models have been with any snow chances for the Central Puget Sound. Last night shows they are obviously far from perfect on that thought..

So far the GFS 00z is looking nice for Puget Sound folks. Really hope this over performs.

Possibly a weekend to remember?

Great info. Hard to imagine us getting above 40 tomorrow, so we may have that record in the bag. I love looking at all of those other cold stretches around this time of year too. This one stacks up pretty well all things considered.

Meanwhile, we need to get these debris clouds out of here now so we can set another record low tomorrow morning. The number to beat is 25 from 1993. Seems pretty doable if it clears out as forecast.

We could get greedy and hope for 27 before midnight, then 25 tomorrow. Two daily records. Although my gut feeling is that we won't drop too quickly before midnight. Clouds plus a little extra low level moisture from that flurry action. 

The models have certainly moved away from any rain threat at least through early evening tomorrow.  The million dollar question is how much moisture we will get.  Keep in mind it would normally be no big deal if we got .20 instead of .05 or whatever, but in this case the difference would be huge.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The models have certainly moved away from any rain threat at least through early evening tomorrow. The million dollar question is how much moisture we will get. Keep in mind it would normally be no big deal if we got .20 instead of .05 or whatever, but in this case the difference would be huge.

So no rain this whole weekend?

So no rain this whole weekend?

I didn't say that.  I haven't looked much beyond Saturday morning in depth.  There could be rain between the exit of the current cold air mass and the arrival of the next one Saturday morning.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Still quite a bit of snow here, though it's melted on most of the paved surfaces that saw any sun today. A few shots from the walk into the office today. It was quite the photogenic morning with fresh snow and blue skies.

Absolutely gorgeous pictures! 

That is not me pretending to be nice... they really are great.    Just wanted to be clear. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Still quite a bit of snow here, though it's melted on most of the paved surfaces that saw any sun today. A few shots from the walk into the office today. It was quite the photogenic morning with fresh snow and blue skies.

5aDUj32.jpg

PyZC0hs.jpg

ikhEs4G.jpg

It was incredible this morning.  This is one of the few times this century I've had it snow here and be clear and cold the following morning.  That makes it very special.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

SEA is on a great roll.  A -12 departure after a -14 yesterday.  Really solid cold snap.

IMBY I have had back to back 22 degree lows and tomorrow could go even lower.

SEA puts up positive departures like that at times... but I cannot remember the last time they had negative departures of that magnitude.   That is impressive.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It was incredibly pretty here this morning just before sunrise when the snow was glowing under a crisp blue sky.  It dropped to 22 so everything was totally froze up and powdery.  Just doesn't get any better than that.  It is kind of disheartening how the late Feb sun eats the snow though.

Also worth noting SEA wiped out their weakest February record today when it dropped to 26 breaking the record of 30.  The 26 is right in line with many of the record this time of year.  I think this was their first record low in like 3 years or some such thing.

I mentioned this morning that I hoped you were able to take the morning off and enjoy it.   It looked stunning on the traffic cams this morning.