February Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Deweydog

Really lame how dry this looks. Still lots of time to change I suppose!

I would say the time to change would normally be narrowing down at this point but the models are all over the place.    GFS solution would be epic... ECMWF solution would likely not even be remembered.   And this all starts in 120 hours.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The euro temp maps are comical. Not even close.

This is a silly statement.   

Day 7... sunshine and an 850mb temp of -9C in mid February and it only shows mid to upper 30s and you think its comical?  Reality would likely be around 40.  

Day 8... the 850mb temp is only -6C but there are more clouds.   Reality would again probably be around 40.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

New Euro Weeklies are...... well....... you be the judge

27867410_10215083047490361_6178401405537

Haha, that looks like paleo composite from the LIA.

Seeing a block over Greenland looks weird..it’s been so freakin’ long. Will take some getting used to.

This is a silly statement.

Day 7 for example... sunshine and an 850mb temp of -9C in mid February and it only shows mid to upper 30s and you think its comical? Reality would likely be around 40.

Day 8... the 850mb temp is only -6C but there are more clouds. Reality would again probably be around 40.

Sadly without snow you are right.

Sadly without snow you are right.

Given the upper level parameters that it shows... the ECMWF is probably a little too cold with the surface temps as usual.    

Even with snow on the ground... -9C with full sun in mid February is going to get you into the upper 30s.    

Bigtime step back on the Euro.  Nothing of interest at all down here.

Ensembles also trending worse too? I'm struggling to find them.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

00Z EPS and control run actually support the operational run... showing a quick shot of cold air and then warming up immediately.

eps_z500a_noram_41.png

eps_t850a_noram_41.png

Huge change for the EPS... an unusually large swing.    Maybe the Europeans ingested some bad data last night?   :lol:

00Z EPS and control run actually support the operational run... showing a quick shot of cold air and then warming up immediately.

eps_z500_noram_41.png

epst850a_noram_41.png

Huge change for the EPS... an unusually large swing. Maybe the Europeans ingested some bad data last night? :lol:

oh Tim...

Very weak “warming” signal and 850’s are still below average by a decent margin. What are you whining about?

oh Tim...

Very weak “warming” signal and 850’s are still below average by a decent margin. What are you whining about?

Not whining.   But it is a big change from previous runs.   With the 06Z GFS being consistent... I wonder if it was just a bad night for the European suite.

eps_z500a_noram_41.png

eps_t850a_noram_41.png

Huge change for the EPS... an unusually large swing. Maybe the Europeans ingested some bad data last night? :lol:

Take a deep breath. You couldn't wait to post that EPS map...

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Take a deep breath. You couldn't wait to post that EPS map...

If that were true then it would have been posted last night.   The 12Z EPS from yesterday never did come out on WB so I still can't post it but I am sure it was cold like the operational run.   WB finished loading the 12Z surface maps in the middle of the afternoon... about 6 hours late.   

Wow.

Just when you thought the 00z GFS was the pinnacle of good model runs, the 06z comes along and says, "Hold my beer".

The fact that the 06Z run did not even weaken a little makes me think the GFS in on track and leading the way here.   

eps_z500a_noram_41.png

eps_t850a_noram_41.png

Huge change for the EPS... an unusually large swing.    Maybe the Europeans ingested some bad data last night?   :lol:

Still a big positive anom over the northern GOA.  It will be fine.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

He doesn't live close to either of those places, both of which tend to run warmer than places away from the water.

He is right across the lake from UW and on a hill. You can see Husky stadium from Kirkland.