February 5th-6th Midwest Snow Storm

bud2380

The cutoff on the HRRR is very sharp between CR and Iowa City. Iowa City keeps showing up on the southern edge of the heaviest band. Cedar Rapids looks to be in a great spot. I’m right in between.

Same here. The county I live in (Dallas) varies from .20" qpf to .50" qpf on the latest runs.  I'am also right in the middle so it could go either way.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

LOT suggesting rather high snow ratios:

Forecast soundings indicate a very deep layer (well in
excess of 10 kft) of saturated conditions within the dendritic
growth zone, though omega peaks at the top or just above this
layer. The very deep DGZ should help to achieve higher than
average snow to liquid ratios. NAM Cobb outputs suggests average
of 16-17:1 while time-lagged ensemble guidance shows a decent
likelihood of achieving 25:1 ratios at times. Took a middle
ground on the SLR nudging up slightly from previous forecast
getting closer to a 20:1 average. Generally expect total QPF
values of 0.15 to 0.30 across the CWA which will result in
deterministic snow totals of 3-6 inches.

Warning on the table?

DMX will only do it when (if) its happening. Maybe around 11am if radar trends hold but even then , if BeerEnds, is working, forget about it.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Man, this system is a fast mover. In and Out! Will dump a quick 1-3" IMBY. Nice! :D

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

When I first checked the radar an hour ago, I thought it looked like good snow was farther south in western Iowa than I expected.  Now the models are trending more robust out that way and a bit south in general.  Des Moines really does look good.  The HRRR is clobbering that area.  I'm still thinking 5" here, which I'll be quite pleased with.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Upper air temps look warm so I'm not too sure how much that'll affect ratios. No wind, however. Still thinking whatever we see will accumulate pretty easily. If we end up getting an isolated band like some models are showing an inch should be easy to achieve.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

nice little dry slot working in right over I80 where I live.  So still nothing here.  Should start in the next 15 minutes or so though.

Not snowing up here either, but forecast soundings showed a hefty dry layer in the lower levels, although the rates should overcome that within the hour. NWS was talking about it in their AFD.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Are flakes flying by you yet? 

The snow is mainly smaller flakes which are not that efficient in accumulating but occasionally it does get better. About 30 miles WNW of DSM. I doubt WSW go out because of this factor.The Hrrr and RAP showing amounts near 10" is not going to happen, but a solid 5-7" is not out of the question if you can get under the heavier bands. 

By looking at the radar, this baby is moving due east towards SEMI. I like the way its holding up. I just hope it doesn't lose its grip as it heads E. I can see a couple of inches for MBY tbh (2-4"), assuming it does not break up, in terms of precipitationwise.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"