February 8th-11th Major Snowstorm

Tom

Approaching 2 inches and snowing at a pretty good clip. Indications are that some of the heavier bands moving more north than predicted earlier.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Here in Grand Rapids at my house I am still getting light snow falling and taking my first measurement in several days I have 2.5" of new snow (taken on the driveway that was clear last night and now have a total of 8.7" on the ground here. 

Hope you get better WestMJim...enjoy the wintry weather from inside in a warm and cozy home!

Meantime, I'm seeing re-development across Kane/DuPage/Cook/Lake county....there is a inverted feature draped across the area overhead on the wunderground maps that is causing a lifting mechanism.  Could have an additional 1-2" on top of what has already fallen.

Starting to see a slight lake plume forming over Lake Michigan just east of MKE....winds are converging in SE WI and sliding into NE IL...may start seeing some slight Lehs within the next few hours.  Need temps to dip a bit more and become more northerly.

• Like 1

This is awesome!  Snow bands just keep back filling across  Cook/Kane/DuPage/S Lake county...I think the lake may be influencing this development across NE IL.  If you look at the wind vectors you can see the convergence and the SLP spinning near Peoria, IL...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-90.56,43.60,3000/loc=-88.650,42.064

This is awesome!  Snow bands just keep back filling across  Cook/Kane/DuPage/S Lake county...I think the lake may be influencing this development across NE IL.  If you look at the wind vectors you can see the convergence and the SLP spinning near Peoria, IL...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-90.56,43.60,3000/loc=-88.650,42.064

just keeps rolling over the same area. O'Hare could do well over the next couple of hours

intensity is picking up here

just keeps rolling over the same area. O'Hare could do well over the next couple of hours

intensity is picking up here

Looking at the national radar map and the west/east fashion of the returns draped across NE/IA into IL look interesting and I'm starting to wonder if the 12z NAM is onto something.

Another 0.6" since last measurement bringing my total just shy of 6" (5.9")....absolute pound town out there right now! Fattest flakes yet!

I measured 3" at 8am. This is mostly from this morning, had very little overnight. Still ripping right now and looks like we're going to be able to stay under this for awhile now.

Interesting that GFS was right on this transition to the weenie band over I80 in the early morning. Other models closer on the initial overnight push being north.

Periods of snow should continue here throughout the day...and the rapidly strengthening February sun should foment a bit of convective activity with those very cold heights...850's near -20 C...so the closer to noon; the heavier the snow...I would guess.

Exactly as I thought...what was pixie dust at daybreak has transitioned to decent sized dendrites.

The heating of the day buoys up the atmosphere in the same fashion a thunderstorm responds to daytime heating...convection & rising air.  T-storms always max out by late afternoon; while diminishing after sunset.

One need not look at a model to know the weather...simply consult & contemplate the basic precepts of Dynamic Meteorology 101.

Exactly as I thought...what was pixie dust at daybreak has transitioned to decent sized dendrites.

The heating of the day buoys up the atmosphere in the same fashion a thunderstorm responds to daytime heating...convection & rising air.  T-storms always max out by late afternoon; while diminishing after sunset.

One need not look at a model to know the weather...simply consult & contemplate the basic precepts of Dynamic Meteorology 101.

The dynamic I cite is even more pervasive where the terrain is undulating.

Is this in addition to what has already fallen?

If it says 12z; the model shows whatever falls after 12z.

12z is Greenwich Mean Time (London).  12z is Noon.  For the Midwest, subtract 6 hours (Central Time Zone).

In other words, it shows what will fall after 6 AM CST.

If it says 12z; the model shows whatever falls after 12z.

12z is Greenwich Mean Time (London).  12z is Noon.  For the Midwest, subtract 6 hours (Central Time Zone).

In other words, it shows what will fall after 6 AM CST.

I thought it was the 6z Nam...my mistake but thanks for the explanation.

• Like 1

What an enormous bust of a system.  I got 1.8 inches from the main stuff yesterday, then the tail pretty much skipped over me.  We may have gotten a bit more, but my snowboards are still clean, perhaps due to the wind.  Some of the models are trying to push the next wave a bit farther southeast again, keeping me in the screw zone.  I may end up in the driest pocket anywhere in the region.

It looks like this system even underperformed a bit in northern Iowa.  There's one 11" report in Fort Dodge, but the rest are generally in the 5-7" range.  Terry Swails was the first local to move all the snow into the northern part of the area late yesterday, but he painted widespread 7-10 with isolated 12" along and north of Waterloo to Dubuque.  That was way too bullish as it ended up being 5-7 with no higher totals.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Currently @ 2.7" and coming down hard. Its going to be snowing all day here and into parts of the evening. Temp @ 16F.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Looks like CR is riding the edge tonight too. For god sakes I’m sick of riding the edge. And with our luck this one will sag south with time as last event lifted north with time. There’s no winning over here.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

One should never substitute modelology for meteorology.

The model is a tool; a device; not an end in itself.

Does this imply that I am opposed to utilization of numerical weather forecasting?  Absolutely not...the models are tremendously helpful in giving the forecaster a sense of the state of the atmosphere; both now and in the future.

However, one cannot become enthralled by the models; as a be - all and end - all.

One must consider their innate biases; in conjunction with the general climatology of the venue in question....along with the time of year and general global atmospheric conditions that might influence an outcome.

I commented several times on the absolute excellence of the Rapid City NWS for their adherence to meteorology above modelology; as they have time after time ignored absurdly over-inflated QPF computer print-outs and made extremely prudent forecasts based on the other considerations I have cited.

• Like 1

Always remember that if the model knew everything; then all the models would feature and predict the precise same outcomes.

The fact that wildly divergent outcomes amongst the models are the norm rather than the exception is direct evidence of their tragic and innate flaws.