February 8th-11th Major Snowstorm

Tom

Always remember that if the model knew everything; then all the models would feature and predict the precise same outcomes.

The fact that wildly divergent outcomes amongst the models are the norm rather than the exception is direct evidence of their tragic and innate flaws.

You'd better get that logic and common sense right the hell out of here!!  This is no place for such talk...  :D

• Like 3

Nothing like having a delicious homemade breakfast at home during a major snowstorm. :D Cozy indeed. Currently @ 3.1". I can see some pretty heavy totals by later today.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Im going with 5.9" for a total but not sure how I feel about that, lol. I'm kinda sandwiched between a 6.5 and 8.5 report. I have 5.6 on my patio table but the wind and compaction is a factor.
​Reality is I may have received a little over 6.

Here's my week:
​3.1 sun nite
1.7 tue nite
​0.3 wed nite
​5.9 last night
11" total for the week

Snow depth is solid 8-9

• Like 3

Radar showing some pretty intense banding to my west making a B-Line towards my area.

One county north of the WSW here.  We did well.  I'd guess around 5"   still snowing but ending soon.  Surprised with the morning update they didn't upgrade from a WWA.  Oh well.  Did better than expected.  NAM nailed the northern extent of the snow.  

• Like 1

12z NAM...more to come...through Sat am...

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/nam/2018020912/027/snku_acc.us_mw.png

That even looks pretty good for East Central Nebraska... all things considered.

I went into this thing expecting nothing, however we might get another good coating of snow tonight, good enough for me... you guys and gals out east can have your double digit snowfall and the big mess afterwards when it melts to go with it.

I assume with this type of system LES is out of the question?

Ya, inversion heights are not the greatest...given the fact its so late in the year and the lake is cold, we would need true arctic air nearby but we don't with this set up.  I'm not complaining...but, would could've been is another story... B)

We would never have to here a certain omaha poster complain again.  the omadome would be blown up

Well, unfortunately the certain "Omaha" poster is in Lincoln (atleast I think). Gotta blow up both domes with those totals to see that, which we know won't happen :/

What an enormous bust of a system. I got 1.8 inches from the main stuff yesterday, then the tail pretty much skipped over me. We may have gotten a bit more, but my snowboards are still clean, perhaps due to the wind. Some of the models are trying to push the next wave a bit farther southeast again, keeping me in the screw zone. I may end up in the driest pocket anywhere in the region.

It looks like this system even underperformed a bit in northern Iowa. There's one 11" report in Fort Dodge, but the rest are generally in the 5-7" range. Terry Swails was the first local to move all the snow into the northern part of the area late yesterday, but he painted widespread 7-10 with isolated 12" along and north of Waterloo to Dubuque. That was way too bullish as it ended up being 5-7 with no higher totals.

This has definitely been the story of this Winter... either you are cashing in with good snows, or getting next to nothing. Heck that’s been the story for 3 years running now.

Oh well though, I feel your pain... you win some with Ma Nature and then you lose some too... someday our “losing streak” has to end.

Radar has filled back in all the way back to the QCA along I80. Wind has picked up tremendously in the last hour. Whiteout conditions being reported along I80 at Ladd/SV exit. This is a pic of I80 from my buddy who works for the city.

Those returns look amazing...you guys are making up quick!

Looks like I ended up in between 4 and 4.5. BBBBUUUUSSSSTTTTTT.

How the heck did you get 4+ inches?  Heck, there's even a 3.2 inch spotter report from just west of me in Cedar Rapids, and 2.7 at KCRG downtown.  How?!?!?!?  I have no choice but to record 1.8 here from 0.18" liquid.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

How the heck did you get 4+ inches? Heck, there's even a 3.2 inch spotter report from just west of me in Cedar Rapids. How?!?!?!?

No idea. I took 3 measurements and averaged them. They were 3.8” 4.5” and 4.4.” As I said last night, I was already at 3+ inches before that band departed. It really dumped on me for awhile.

There’s actually a lot of 4+ reports in central and northern Linn. Still fell well short of the universally expected 6-8” but still.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

How are temps looking in the extended for PHOENIX?? you know there climo better than I

There is a system that cut's off next week in the SW that may bring cooler temps and showers late next week into the weekend but then I see temps rebound AN the week of the 18th.  Your going to have a great time.

Currently @ 3.6" and snowing moderately. Radar is loaded to my west w hvy banding building up. :D

No idea. I took 3 measurements and averaged them. They were 3.8” 4.5” and 4.4.” As I said last night, I was already at 3+ inches before that band departed. It really dumped on me for awhile.

There’s actually a lot of 4+ reports in central and northern Linn. Still fell well short of the universally expected 6-8” but still.

The problem is it's impossible to measure.  It's clear in my yard that snow that was already on the ground following the afternoon/evening wave was scoured away.  That's probably where half the pavement drifts this morning came from, not from any overnight snowfall.  The two snow boards I cleaned last night are still clean, and the big snowboard I left the 1.8 inches on only had 1.0 inches this morning.  Also, I can't stick a ruler into the snow in the yard because there was already snow on the ground before this storm.  Everything about this storm was a CF.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The problem is it's impossible to measure. It's clear in my yard that snow that was already on the ground, from the previous clipper , was scoured away. That's probably where half the pavement drifts came from, not from this storm. The two snow boards I cleaned last night are still clean, and the big snowboard I left the 1.8 inches on only had 1.0 inches this morning.

I was thinking about previous snow, but all the other 4” reports north of CR reinforced my decision to just go with. 4-4.5.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")