February 24th-25th Plains/GL's Winter Storm

Tom

Based on the knowledge of the LRC, I'm inclined to believe that we will see a rather vigorous storm system ejecting out of the CO Rockies into the central Plains and eventually cutting up towards the GL's.  There is rather convincing ensemble agreement that a potential major storm takes shape this weekend.

Let's discuss....

The latest GEFS are trending stronger and wetter across the Plains and Upper MW...

gfs-ens_apcpn_us_22.png

NWS Hastings AFD::

Precipitation

chances returns to the area early Sat morning through Sat

evening, but there are differences with how strong/organized the

system is, will it be a closed system or an open wave. Kept

precipitation type simple at this point with it being several days

away, but at this point would think much of it would be snow,

with more uncertainty for ssern portions of the County Warning Area.

Check out the differences in H pressure at 72

GFS

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2018022100&fh=72

GEM

https://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/492_100.gif

GEM has a 1025 H over southern IA while GFS is north into northern parts of minny

Big implications in the track because of it

Starting to see some consistency between the GEFS/EPS with this one and its remarkably similar to the track the Oct 6th/7th storm took.  00z GEFS total qpf looks mighty juicy as well does the 00z EPS snow mean.

gfs-ens_apcpn_us_23.png

IMO, this is a C NE/NW IA/MN/N WI snow storm...

Hopefully we can keep this look going. Things have been trending up so far instead of backing down. It seems that it is usually opposite. From what I have seen models usually overdo wrapped up systems and can underdo open waves passing through the region in the medium/long range, leading to some surprises. Definitely liking the looks of this, especially since the Euro is somewhere in the ballpark.

12Z Euro looks like a nice hit from my area to the northeast through Norfolk (no surprise there).  Only seeing the weather.us images, so hard to tell amounts, possibly 8+ I think in some places.  (colors very hard to read so might be off).  If anyone has the Euro snow map and can post it, that is always appreciated.