Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

East and Gulf Coast Weather 2018

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Phil

Posted 03 September 2018 - 01:49 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21566 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.
Peaked at 94/78, heat index 109. 😓
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...pwsdash#history

Phil

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:17 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
Summer needs to go. Can’t wait for the first legit cold front and those cool, dry NW winds. :wub:

For now, though, summer continues to flex its jacked up muscles. Currently 91/79, heat index 107. Awful.
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...pwsdash#history

Phil

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:21 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
Venting about the heat 24/7 on here is doing little to cool my frayed psyche, though. It’s September now. Not f**king July or August. The fall equinox is only a few weeks away.

Summers starts with the snap of a finger in May every year, but getting back to winter takes forever. It’s a long step down process that takes something like 5 months. Why can’t this be reversed? 😒

Phil

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:48 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
Explosive thunderstorm this afternoon. Blew up along the river breeze and easily topped 55,000ft.

Dropped temps from 93*F to 77*F in 5mins, along with gusty winds to 45-50mph from the SE (core was just to the SE so winds came from that direction). A few close CG bolts as well.

Now a muggy evening, 78/77 with clouds of skeeters.

Andie

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:19 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Texas
Fall and Winter around the corner. What do you guys think ?

ENSO-neutral is favored through Northern Hemisphere summer 2018, with the chance for El Niño increasing to about 65% during fall, and to about 70% during winter 2018-19. – NOAA

Attached File  IMG_3342.GIF   32.88KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3344.GIF   33.81KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3343.GIF   33.93KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3345.GIF   33.3KB   0 downloads

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

Andie

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:22 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
Scattered thunderstorms all week. Some heavy downpours.
Haven't had a chance to check totals. Husband in ICU for 8 days.
It's been rough. God, I hate hospitals.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

Phil

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:07 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts

Scattered thunderstorms all week. Some heavy downpours.
Haven't had a chance to check totals. Husband in ICU for 8 days.
It's been rough. God, I hate hospitals.

So sorry to hear. What happened?

Andie

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:05 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
He had blood clots in Inferior Vena Cava. He still had blood flow. They're removed by a piece of equipment called an EKOS which emits subtle sound waves and the radiologist then removes them. He'll still be on blood thinners.
This was damned close. I don't think I've been this scared before. ( and I've been terrorized by some of the best in the hazardous waste biz).
He'll be fine. But we'll have to watch from now on.
I don't think I've been this tired in ages either.
Lord, I just want a normal life now.

OKwx2k4

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:12 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

He had blood clots in Inferior Vena Cava. He still had blood flow. They're removed by a piece of equipment called an EKOS which emits subtle sound waves and the radiologist then removes them. He'll still be on blood thinners.
This was damned close. I don't think I've been this scared before. ( and I've been terrorized by some of the best in the hazardous waste biz).
He'll be fine. But we'll have to watch from now on.
I don't think I've been this tired in ages either.
Lord, I just want a normal life now.

Andie, I hope all is well.

I think the CPC map is garbage.

Andie

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:23 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
Flash flooding. 3.48" rain recorded not far from me, more out there training over us.

( some fool was out there mowing in a dounpur...go figure)

Well, we're home. Recovery is dificult as he's very tired but is determined to try to go to work tomorrow as doctor said okay as long as he gets up and walks around every hour. I think he needs another 4 days but no one is listening. Men aren't very sensible.
I feel a thousand years old right now. But it'll get better.

weatherfan2012

Posted 08 September 2018 - 03:18 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
And td 9 is now tropica storm Isaac lol.

weatherfan2012

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:15 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
Larry Cosgrove isnt completely sold yet on the complete dooms day forecast quite yet says dispite claims of the contrary the models have really not been consistent and tonight the globals have sifted east slightly again which tells him the just off the coast idea is very much on the table those he wraiting until tommore or monday to see what the newer data says.he interesting enough is very concerned those about a major threat in october as anlogs are suggesting a big east coast hurricane impack .it will be interesting to see if he right about october.I really hope he is right because right now things look really bad as it stands now with this thing.I get his reasons that its such a rare track to see a system make it to the east coast where Florence position is at currenly but this is a rare pattern to see with such a strong blocking high.so in this case climo has to be completely thrown out the window..

Andie

Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:04 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
With ground moisture so high, the flooding could be quite dreadful.

I'm curious if the Gulf will see more?

Andie

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
Stay safe Phil !

OKwx2k4

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:17 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
SE TX and NW Florida next?

Andie

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:11 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
Disturbances 1 south of the tip of Texas shows promise. Could bring Texas more rain in a few days.

Attached File  IMG_3352.PNG   59.63KB   0 downloads

Andie

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:20 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
FLO IS CRAWLING ALONG -
Hurricane Florence has begun its long-awaited slow down, and was crawling at just 5 mph to the west-northwest towards Wilmington, NC as of 5 pm EDT Thursday. Heavy rains, a significant storm surge, and high winds from the Category 2 storm are already hitting the coast of North Carolina. Florence may be a Category 2 hurricane by the Saffir-Simpson wind scale, but it is a Category 5 heavy rain and inland flooding threat, and a Category 3 storm surge threat.

Radar data from the Morehead City, NC radar showed that Florence’s outer spiral bands began dumping heavy rains over the Outer Banks and much of Eastern North Carolina on Thursday morning. Rainfall amounts of 0.5 – 1.0 inch per hour were common, with a few heavy cells generating higher rainfall rates. Several Personal Weather Stations on the coast near Morehead City reported 5 - 10 inches of rain by 6 pm EDT Thursday, but have now gone silent. Cedar Island Ferry Terminal near the Outer Banks reported 6.36” of rain as of 6 pm EDT Thursday, and the Morehead City Airport reported 2.49” of rain.

https://www.wundergr...-North-Carolina

Attached File  IMG_3355.JPG   107.26KB   0 downloads

Andie

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:36 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
Attached File  IMG_3358.JPG   28.31KB   0 downloads

Florence - "Slooowly I turn!"

Florence didn't get the memo that she's a hurricane, not a stationary front. The rain totals on this one will be interesting, but meanwhile, as the storm begins to very slowly leave some areas, Emergency Management will have its hands full trying to convince homeowners to not return. Streets will be heavily littered, power lines down and generally dangerous and impassable.

https://www.wundergr...-North-Carolina

Andie

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:42 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
Texas is seeing scattered showers and a few thunderstorms from the tropical low at the tip of Texas. Rain bands are moving up across the state with light to moderate rain. ( And I have to drive to Dallas tomorrow ) >_<

Temps in the high 80's. Then a few days in the ghties, and it starts all over again. Early Fall.

Andie

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:06 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts

Since Wednesday we have had this going inland over NC and then crawling into VA. Should this turn out correct, this is likely to be the worst natural disaster on record for Carolinas into VA Major hit combined with 3-4 feet of rain in some places over 3-4 day period.— Joe Bastardi (@BigJoeBastardi) September 9, 2018

• Phil likes this

Andie

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:44 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
Picked up 1.06" rain this afternoon from all this tropical moisture.
Came down in sheets for 20-25 mins.

High of 91* with a dewpoint of 76*.
Currently 73* after the heavy rain passed through.
We have a 50% chance of rain through tomorrow.

Real nice intro to Fall for Texas. Southern Hill Country is getting a good deal of tropical rain as well.
  • OKwx2k4 likes this

Andie

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:43 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
The rain missed me. Oh well. We've had plenty.

weatherfan2012

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
Tornado watch in effect until 10 pm the reaments of what use to be hurricane florance are moving north and northeast throught the reagion today for a round of rain and storms tornado warnings are in place for that band of storms in northern Virginia with tropical systems these tend to be weak sort lived tornados but still not something to really mess around with.so best to take any of these seriously as any tornado can cause damage to property and trees.

Andie

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:32 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
North Carolina has yet to face the worst. Also, a nuclear power plant is in crisis and they're trying to get to it. Add to that 100,000 dead pigs and their waste and you have the foundation for a disaster movie.
The cleanup and rebuild will be a very heavy lift.

OKwx2k4

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:07 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

North Carolina has yet to face the worst. Also, a nuclear power plant is in crisis and they're trying to get to it. Add to that 100,000 dead pigs and their waste and you have the foundation for a disaster movie.

My shop here in OK actually just made a bunch of emergency parts for that place. A disaster for sure.

weatherfan2012

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:33 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

the worse is yet to come  over the next few days there as the Rivers crest peak so while the weather may be nicer the flooding will still be getting worse .

weatherfan2012

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:37 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

My shop here in OK actually just made a bunch of emergency parts for that place. A disaster for sure.

the Hardest part of it is really now I bet for them because of the nicer weather over the next few days but yet the flooding still getting worse from the river flooding now that will be taking place.

weatherfan2012

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:42 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

An impressive band of storms now in the southwest must watch these very carefully for the over night hours kind of unease to have these storms blow up like this at night.Hopefully nothing to strong comes out of these tonight but giving the history of today and a tropical system we always have to be wary of storms with possible spin ups.PA NJ Del are also going to be having an increasing threat tonight into tomorrow morning as well

Phil

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:32 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
Explosive lightning/thunder for multiple hours tonight. A few bolts struck within a 500-1000ft radius.

Picked up another ~ 1.25” of rain. Another muggy night as well..75/73 right now. Dewpoints have been in the 70s for the entire week.

Phil

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:33 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
IT WONT STOP RAINING.

Yet another downpour this morning. Dewpoint of 76*F and foggy with humidity still at almost 100% as of 12:30pm.

Andie

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:30 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
So Phil, what's your total rain so far with Florence?

Honest to God, this is the slowest d**n tropical system I've seen in eons.

Phil

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:53 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts

So Phil, what's your total rain so far with Florence?

Honest to God, this is the slowest d**n tropical system I've seen in eons.

Not too much, ~ 1.3”. But it just adds to the gargantuan totals we’ve racked up this summer. We’ve had 61” of rain here since May 1st.

Andie

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:06 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
Holy Smoke!

The ground must be like mush. No wonder trees are falling in storms.

Do you think this moisture will continue in the east through the winter?
How might that impact snow totals ?

Andie

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:50 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts

Very soggy this week.

We received 2.5" rain last night.  Still misty out there.  50% chance tomorrow and Wed.-Fri. a 30% chance of rain. 

Flash Flooding all over North Texas tonight.

Quite a wet September.  We usually don't see rain like this until October on. Is El Nino affecting us already ?

Phil

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:25 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
Finally feels like early autumn out here.

A cool, crisp 61/57 as of 10:30pm.

weatherfan2012

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:26 AM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
And the rain is back what else is new right :lol: a cool raw and wet first full day of fall.

Andie

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:08 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts

And the rain is back what else is new right :lol: a cool raw and wet first full day of fall.

Good riddance to the hottest 2 months I've experienced in a very long time. It was a misery.

Hello fall ! We're a cool, cloudy 68* with a high of 72* today. Slightly misty/ foggy.
Oh yeah, I take this.

I'm just so weary of summer.

Phil

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:36 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
Now at 9.33” of rain this month. At least it’s a cooler rain this time.

61/60 as of 130pm. Feels chilly. :lol:

Andie

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:33 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
DFW has wettest September in 86 years.

Dallas-Fort Worth has received more than four times the normal amount of rain for the month of September — and there's more in the forecast next week.
Rainfall totals recorded between 6 a.m. Friday and 6 a.m. Saturday were the highest in the area since 1932, the National Weather Service reported.
Over the past two days, 7.65 inches of rain were recorded, the highest total since 9.57 inches fell over Sept. 4-5, 1932.
The normal rainfall average in September is 2.55 inches. By Saturday, the gauge at DFW International Airport had recorded over 11 inches for the month, according to the National Weather Service.

https://www.dallasne...year-old-record

Other areas had far more.
  • Phil likes this

Andie

Posted 26 September 2018 - 04:46 AM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
More rain this morning. O boy.

Why can't this happen over a period of 4-5 months?
It's going to be a long wet winter, I think.

Phil

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:32 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
Summer won’t die. Dewpoint is 75*F today with a heat index of 95*F. Might see some thunderstorms later with the cold front (will only be a temporary reprieve, however).

Andie

Posted 26 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
Received another inch of rain this morning as a front passed through.

It's currently 69* at the heat of the day and dewpoint of 55*. Gorgeous!

Breezy. Love it!

Phil

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:01 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
Literally just had a mudslide here. Shook the house..all the neighbors were outside talking about it.

Still puking rain..approaching a foot of rain on the month, and ~ 65” since May 1st. 🌊

Andie

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:56 PM

Andie

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
My God Phil. How close?

Hope everything is okay.

Phil

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:02 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
The aftermath was much less impressive than it “felt” at the time. Some large boulders and some mud tumbled down the ravine, and into the roaring creek. Those heavy rocks probably caused the shaking we felt.

weatherfan2012

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:52 PM

weatherfan2012

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
Dave Tolleris forecast of major fall weather was :lol:

Phil

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:51 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
Funny how it was snowing on April 17th, but we’re still seeing 85-90 degree days in October. Seasonal lag is an absolute b*tch sometimes.

Phil

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:12 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
Some nice supercells up in PA yesterday. Blowoff from the tops made it all the way down here. Meanwhile, we have mid-80s again today with some downsloping NW winds drying out the profile a bit.

Might reach 90*F tomorrow with the southwesterlies pumping in the swamp air ahead of the next “cold” front.

Phil

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:47 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
Heat index is 95*F+ again. It’s October 4th.

Lol.

Phil

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:08 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21566 posts
Might get brushed by some gusty convection ~ 7pm.

Looks like ~ 50mph straight line winds in there.

EDSC4qi.jpg