April Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

It has been much worse than usual here. Making me believe it will be better than normal here for the next few months. And it's hard for it to better than normal here without dragging the rest of you along for the nice weather ride. :)

Seems very objective.

Seems very objective.

Probably not. Just my experience based on 15 years of living here and endless study of daily weather data for this area back to 1895.

It's often a good guide though whether you like it or not.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah, I think we have at least one more round of deep, beautiful, blissful troughing left in us next month. Pattern should become ripe for it again, perhaps lasting through most of May. Or so I think/hope.

Memorial Day onwards is making me nervous though. The early signs are ugly as f**k. No way I’m spending that weekend here if it’s a steam-bath.

I'm just hoping for as much dry sunny weather here from now until mid September since I like to do lots of outdoor activities. I actually prefer 80 degree weather. I just root for hot weather in the summer time because I like extreme weather and it's the only thing that makes it worthwhile for me to follow the weather.

It's easy for the rest of the region to be decent while it's terrible here. But it's really hard for it to be nice here and ugly across the rest of the region for any length of time.

We are way overdue for nice weather here... based on our long term averages. Making it more likely. And that probably affects most of the region. Although I am only basing this on our weather so far in 2018. I doubt it stays unusually wet here now. That is all.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Thursday is going to be a tough forecast with the clouds forecasted to roll on in. The 12z EURO says full sunshine for PDX at 11am but clouds roll in by 5pm. It's still completely sunny for SEA however.

This tells me that SEA has a very good shot at 90 on Thursday.

70-71 down in Bothell and about 68 at home now. Seeing lot of people out riding and jogging this afternoon. Can't wait to get out of work and enjoy this warmth.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

69 at SEA and 75 in North Bend right now. We don't get the cooling effect of the north wind through the Sound on days like this and are often warmer being inland and more protected. That cuts both ways... sometimes the protection here traps clouds and moisture while Seattle is sunny and warmer.

You shouldn't have any problem hitting 80 later this week.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

70-71 down in Bothell and about 68 at home now. Seeing lot of people out riding and jogging this afternoon. Can't wait to get out of work and enjoy this warmth.

SEA dropped to 67 on the hour with NW18.

75 in North Bend and 73 here with a light wind.

I'm just hoping for as much dry sunny weather here from now until mid September since I like to do lots of outdoor activities. I actually prefer 80 degree weather. I just root for hot weather in the summer time because I like extreme weather and it's the only thing that makes it worthwhile for me to follow the weather.

What’s the point of rooting for “extreme” weather if it’s restrictive and misery-inducing? Seems silly to me.

I also wouldn’t mind the heat (as much) if it was the dry stuff you guys get. Heck, I might actually root for a few records here and there. At least it feels okay in the shade and it cools down at night. I bet you’d hate heat if it came with humidity.

What’s the point of rooting for “extreme” weather if it’s restrictive and misery-inducing? Seems silly to me.

I also wouldn’t mind the heat (as much) if it was the dry stuff you guys get. Heck, I might actually root for a few records here and there. At least it feels okay in the shade and it cools down at night. I bet you’d hate heat if it came with humidity.

It could be argued by many that extreme cold is also restrictive and misery-inducing.

• Like 1

SEA dropped to 67 on the hour with NW18.

75 in North Bend and 73 here with a light wind.

Definitely seeing the cooling effects nearer to the Sound now. Even some upper 50s right on the water in Seattle. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Definitely seeing the cooling effects nearer to the Sound now. Even some upper 50s right on the water in Seattle.

Typical on days like this. Phil always assumes it has to be much colder out here but there are many situations (in all seasons) where the opposite is true thanks to being away from the water and more prone to downslope warming. That is a weakness of his... not understanding all of the microclimates in the PNW.

Yeah, I think we have at least one more round of deep, beautiful, blissful troughing left in us next month. Pattern should become ripe for it again, perhaps lasting through most of May. Or so I think/hope.

Memorial Day onwards is making me nervous though. The early signs are ugly as f**k. No way I’m spending that weekend here if it’s a steam-bath.

Deep troughing in May is anything but blissful over here.  Maybe it is where you are, in the sticky, hot, messy, eastern US, but not here.  We're all (most of us) very weary of deep troughing right now and ready for sunshine and 75 degrees....

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

It's easy for the rest of the region to be decent while it's terrible here. But it's really hard for it to be nice here and ugly across the rest of the region for any length of time.

We are way overdue for nice weather here... based on our long term averages. Making it more likely. And that probably affects most of the region. Although I am only basing this on our weather so far in 2018. I doubt it stays unusually wet here now. That is all.

It doesn't make any sense to think that the small scale differences in one microclimate will affect the large scale pattern going forward. I get that you are basing this off real research to an extent, but it still makes no logical sense. :lol:

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

Deep troughing in May is anything but blissful over here. Maybe it is where you are, in the sticky, hot, messy, eastern US, but not here. We're all (most of us) very weary of deep troughing right now and ready for sunshine and 75 degrees....

And yet, objectively this past winter and spring has not been dominated by deep troughing in the PNW.

I think most people nationally are just ready for warmer weather in the spring regardless.

A forum for the end of the world.

It doesn't make any sense to think that the small scale differences in one microclimate will affect the large scale pattern going forward. I get that you are basing this off real research to an extent, but it still makes no logical sense. :lol:

Maybe not. But yet it seems to work most of the time for whatever reason. Check back with me in a couple months. I doubt it will have been usually wet or unusually persistently wet out here. I am guessing below average rainfall and more dry days the usual here. You can decide if that means anything for the rest of region. Usually when its dry here... it's dry elsewhere in western WA overall.

Wow this weather sucks!

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

It could be argued by many that extreme cold is also restrictive and misery-inducing.

The saving grace is neither of us have to worry about “extreme cold” in our respective climates. Extreme drizzle and cloudiness in your case, perhaps. ;)

To me weather isn't suppose to be comfortable, it's suppose to be uncomfortable. When I think of weather, I think about frigid arctic blasts, massive snowstorms, destructive ice storms, extreme rain leading to flooding, powerful tornados, huge hurricanes, unrelenting heat waves, etc. If weather was comfortable there would be no point in talking about it. That is why I love extreme weather. If I lived in tornado alley, there is no doubt in my mind I would be one of those tornado chasers. The thrill of it would fascinate me. I would know the dangers but the excitement would be too much to pass up. That's another reason why people are intrigued by hurricanes. The power of mother nature is fascinating to watch. I would love to experience another Columbus Day storm here in the PNW. I know the consequences of it but it's something I wouldn't pass up. I've been on the east coast once in my life to visit relatives in NY. It was during July and the weather was sunny. I don't remember it all that different from the PNW. Maybe it wasn't humid that time period or NY isn't as humid as the Swamp you live in?

Deep troughing in May is anything but blissful over here. Maybe it is where you are, in the sticky, hot, messy, eastern US, but not here. We're all (most of us) very weary of deep troughing right now and ready for sunshine and 75 degrees....

74 at PDX today. Just a degree away from being able to venture outside without risking hypothermia. So close...

To me weather isn't suppose to be comfortable, it's suppose to be uncomfortable. When I think of weather, I think about frigid arctic blasts, massive snowstorms, destructive ice storms, extreme rain leading to flooding, powerful tornados, huge hurricanes, unrelenting heat waves, etc. If weather was comfortable there would be no point in talking about it. That is why I love extreme weather. If I lived in tornado alley, there is no doubt in my mind I would be one of those tornado chasers. The thrill of it would fascinate me. I would know the dangers but the excitement would be too much to pass up. That's another reason why people are intrigued by hurricanes. The power of mother nature is fascinating to watch. I would love to experience another Columbus Day storm here in the PNW. I know the consequences of it but it's something I wouldn't pass up. I've been on the east coast once in my life to visit relatives in NY. It was during July and the weather was sunny. I don't remember it all that different from the PNW. Maybe it wasn't humid that time period or NY isn't as humid as the Swamp you live in?

So you’re a sadist who enjoys others’ misery? Lol.

In all honestly I understand where you’re coming from, but there are some “extremes” which are less preferable to others, IMO. Would you want a tornado to demolish your house? Or giant hail to pound holes in your roof? At some point, it’s not fun and games anymore.

Btw, where in NY were you? And what year? Definitely a different climate there vs here, especially once you get about 20 miles up the Hudson River.

So you’re a sadist who enjoys others’ misery? Lol.

In all honestly I understand where you’re coming from, but there are some “extremes” which are less preferable to others, IMO. Would you want a tornado to demolish your house? Or giant hail to pound holes in your roof? At some point, it’s not fun and games anymore.

Btw, where in NY were you? And what year? Definitely a different climate there vs here, especially once you get about 20 miles up the Hudson River.

No not at all lol. Last summer when the wildfires were out of control in the Columbia River Gorge I was actually rooting for colder wetter weather at that point. I know wildfires are natural but once it starts affecting peoples homes you can't root for more dry hot weather at that point. We all enjoy cold snowy weather on here but it makes roads dangerous but we still root for it anyways.

New York City, specifically the Queens. It was July 2002. Spent about 2 weeks there during the first part of July. I remember celebrating the 4th of July there. I remember it raining a few days too but I think it was mainly sunny.

What a day!

Think of it this way. We survived today, and now only need to endure the next 2-3 before nourishing moisture finally makes a return.

Thank you for the perspective!

SEA failed to reach 70... topped out at 69. Should get to 75ish tomorrow.

PDX failed to reach 75. Most forecasts had them at 76-77 today. Too much east wind....will be interesting to see if that is an issue the next few days as well.