April Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

That is quite the marine push on the WRF... comes in Friday and the low clouds never really break up through the end of the run on Tuesday morning.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

WRF says this heat wave crashes into a weekend of solid low clouds and chilly temperatures with plenty of light rain around. A good weekend to be out of town. :)

Yuck. Wish I could take time off this week and enjoy the warmth since I’m staying at the lake house.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

This July is acting like late April so far...

Those who crave dark and damp will have a very good weekend.    Not so much for everyone else.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Those who crave dark and damp will have a very good weekend. Not so much for everyone else.

Well we didn’t get nearly enough of that over the last 4 months straight...we should be counting our blessings that dark and dank will be returning soon.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I will enjoy the weather this week and this weekend. I am insane.

I will not be here so its sort of irrelevant to me... but I would prefer a more stable run of mid to upper 60s with sunshine and afternoon cumulus clouds over a couple really hot days and then very dark and damp for 3-4 days straight.      

I will not be here so its sort of irrelevant to me... but I would prefer a more stable run of mid to upper 60s with sunshine and afternoon cumulus clouds over a couple really hot days and then very dark and damp for 3-4 days straight.

I think the dynamics are sort of fun.

Well we didn’t get nearly enough of that over the last 4 months straight...we should be counting our blessings that dark and dank will be returning soon.

We just had a sunny weekend, and the next few days are looking very warm and sunny. And you are staying in a family lake house right now, while you wait for your new house in the country to be ready to move your family into. You should count your blessings.

Does not look much convection on the 00Z ECMWF.

The marine layer oozes in up to Olympia by Friday morning and spreads into the Seattle area by afternoon with very light precip being shown... probably drizzle.

Then light rain across most of western WA throughout Saturday with a solid marine layer all the way up through Vancouver BC.   Highs in the upper 40s and low 50s across the region.  

Does not look much convection on the 00Z ECMWF.

The marine layer oozes in up to Olympia by Friday morning and spreads into the Seattle area by afternoon with very light precip being shown... probably drizzle.

Then light rain across most of western WA throughout Saturday with a solid marine layer all the way up through Vancouver BC all day.

Sounds like it trended toward the goofus.

Actually... the 12Z run was pretty mucky all weekend too.   Did not look at low cloud cover on that run this morning... just checked it now.  

Sunday is much wetter on the 00Z ECMWF compared to its 12Z run.   Solid light rain across most of the region... and cold.   Barely getting to 50 in most places.

Looks like a complete washout of a weekend now for most areas.     

I was told it was nice in Tim's backyard.

Jared said that.   And it was starting to turn warmer on Sunday... and there was almost no precip that day on the 12Z run.

That is completely changed now.   It will probably drizzle here the entire weekend with no break... with some periods of light rain to make it really exciting!

Jared said that. And it was starting to turn warmer on Sunday... and there was almost no precip that day on the 12Z run.

That is completely changed now. It will probably drizzle here the entire weekend with no break... with some periods of light rain to make it really exciting!

• Like 1

Still going Monday too... all day drizzle and completely solid low clouds from Vancouver BC to Eugene with highs in the upper 40s to low 50s.

That will be 4 days in a row for Portland and 3 days in a row from Seattle northward.    People who love continuous dark and damp conditions are going to be in heaven!

Same thing for Tuesday on the 00Z ECMWF.  

Low clouds and drizzle all day for most of the region.  

Wednesday is first day there is improvement on that run... broken clouds and highs either side of 60.  

That is one hell of a marine layer drizzle/light rain stretch!     ECMWF and WRF agree on the timing and duration.  

I'm assuming you still like sunshine during the summer time. What's the ideal pattern there to produce sun but not so humid conditions?

Lol, every pattern “produces sun” during summer. It’s a perpetual roast. Cloudy days are essentially nonexistent from Memorial Day to Labor Day unless there’s a hurricane nearby. We do get afternoon and evening convection, but that’s usually hit/miss, and it just makes things more humid by adding water to the soil. And the convection doesn’t usually start until 1-3pm, so it’s sunny and roasting for most of the day anyway.

Our “low humidity” summer pattern is actually the sunniest pattern. It requires W/NW flow, which produces downslope warming/drying. So those days with lower humidity often soar into the low/mid 90s even with colder thermals aloft. Our humid patterns are the opposite, with temperatures often cooler (mid/upper 80s) thanks to the moisture and convection starting earlier in the day.

Still going Monday too... all day drizzle and completely solid low clouds from Vancouver BC to Eugene with highs in the upper 40s to low 50s.

That will be 4 days in a row for Portland and 3 days in a row from Seattle northward. People who love continuous dark and damp conditions are going to be in heaven!

Last weekend was pretty sunny, and this week is looking really warm for this early. And then this weekend you will be out of town when the rain comes back. I don’t understand why you even care.

Last weekend was pretty sunny, and this week is looking really warm for this early. And then this weekend you will be out of town when the rain comes back. I don’t understand why you even care.

Well... you care.   Others are probably interested in the weekend details as well.   Thought you might like these juicy dark/damp details.    And we will be back early next week and it will likely still be going.  

I doubt it will be that bad.

Maybe not up there... you always seem to escape the low clouds in these situations.  

But we have seen this before when a ULL induces a strong marine push after an early season heat wave and then meanders around with no mechanism to scour out the low level moisture.   

Run the cloud loop on the WRF... the ECMWF looks about the same. 

https://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?wrfd2_x_intcld+///3 

That is one very persistent marine layer deck west of the Cascades from Friday afternoon through Tuesday.  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

At least we will miss a good part of it... looks mostly sunny and in the mid to upper 70s in Charleston.

We should have a full week of sunshine ahead and hopefully it will be turning nicer here by next Wednesday. ;)

Dude, I have SAD. Gloomy weather doesn’t = suicide for 99.99% of people who have it, and trying to get a shot in like that was beyond low.

Just my take. Do with it what you wish.

Suicide rates in Alaska are among the highest in the nation, not 99.99%, but it is high, and it's all linked to SAD...

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Suicide rates in Alaska are among the highest in the nation, not 99.99%, but it is high, and it's all linked to SAD...

This is not true.

After Alaska... the next highest are Montana, New Mexico, and Wyoming.    Those are places with lots of sunshine.

The high rate of suicide in Alaska and the Intermountain West is also associated with social isolation and those places attract people who want to live independently and alone.   

Puke. We need to reverse these anomalies.

COMufmF.png

I don't see any issues with it... Pretty sure Flatiron would agree!  B)

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

This is not true.

After Alaska... the next highest are Montana, New Mexico, and Wyoming. Those are places with lots of sunshine.

The high rate of suicide in Alaska and the Intermountain West is also associated with social isolation and those places attract people who want to live independently and alone.

I was just talking about Alaska. There have been studies showing how lack of sunlight and being locked indoors for long periods of time lead to depression which, left untreated can lead some to suicide.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Dude, I have SAD. Gloomy weather doesn’t = suicide for 99.99% of people who have it, and trying to get a shot in like that was beyond low.

Just my take. Do with it what you wish.

Just this past weekend, one of my friends said "Seattle has the highest suicide rate in the country", because you know, SAD. I had to point out that it was actually Vegas, and Seattle is not even in the top 10, while Denver is.

Turns out that high altitude oxygen-deprivation is more likely to lead to suicidal depression than rainy weather.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Just this past weekend, one of my friends said "Seattle has the highest suicide rate in the country", because you know, SAD. I had to point out that it was actually Vegas, and Seattle is not even in the top 10, while Denver is.

Turns out that high altitude oxygen-deprivation is more likely to lead to suicidal depression than rainy weather.

I recently read a study on the link to elevation as well.   And the increase in the rate during the spring is not related to gloomy weather but rather to the end of gloomy weather and the increase in social interactions and activity.  

The rates tend to be higher in the Intermountain West in general...

suicide_rates.png

00Z EPS shows the crash on Friday and then starts the warm up on Tuesday... then its warm for the rest of the run.

Of course a week ago it did not show the crash coming Friday.      

That will be 4 days in a row for Portland and 3 days in a row from Seattle northward. People who love continuous dark and damp conditions are going to be in heaven!

It's locked in now!

I was just talking about Alaska. There have been studies showing how lack of sunlight and being locked indoors for long periods of time lead to depression which, left untreated can lead some to suicide.

I would do more research. Weather is a factor for some suicidal tendencies, but it's not close to one of the leading factors.

Mild depression partly due to the weather is much more common. SAD has higher prevalence in higher latitudes mainly due to lack of sunlight in the winter, but the high suicide rate in Alaska is driven mostly by a very high rate among the native population there. And that's driven by factors beyond SAD.

• Like 1

It's locked in now!

A gloomy, damp weekend and early next week is very likely now given the 500mb pattern and the fact that ECMWF and WRF are in complete agreement.