Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Why I'm Changing my Name from NebraskaWX

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Illinois_WX

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:04 PM

Illinois_WX

Nebraskan Living In Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL (Uptown)

Hi guys,

As some of you know, I will no longer be a resident of Nebraska beginning in May. Instead, I will be joining the dark-side-- where I will be living in Chicago. It has been an amazing run. I know that this post is unnecessary, but I will genuinely miss being part of the Nebraska posters. Weird to think about how we all have been together as a group for half or even close to a full decade, posting regularly about weather on this forum. It was awesome to share insight with all of you about how much Nebraska sucks in the winter, only to be made up by the best severe weather I've ever seen of anywhere I've lived in my entire life. It's been awesome, and despite my absence, I will always be rooting for you guys out here. In the meantime, let's warm tf up and get some severe weather before I go eh?!?

Again, I can't thank you guys enough. LNK_wx, Gabel23, Jeremy, CentralNebWeather, Clint, FarmerRick and Craig, thanks for being here to talk about our local weather for so many years. It's truly been a blessing.

Otherwise, let's fire up the LES machine baby! Someone has to takes Geos's spot amirite? :)

• gabel23, jaster220 and NEJeremy like this

LINCOLN NEBRASKA SNOW TOTALS:

13-14 : 0"

14-15: 0"

15-16" : 0"

16-17 : 0"

17-18 : Probably 10", so in other words, 0" ​ 5.5"

# of times it was too warm and ended up being 33 and rain during these years : 20

# of times the storm essentially turned into dust: 25

# of times the storm looked at Nebraska and was like "yeah, good joke" , then ran to Chicago: 50

LNK_Weather

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:38 PM

LNK_Weather

Apparently my posts are garbage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3053 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE (The Shaft City)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*inhale*OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
It'll be sad not having you here. Guess I'll have to root for Chicago now!
  • Illinois_WX and jaster220 like this

2018 Severe Weather Season Statistics for my apartment:

Tornado Watches: 2 (Last: 6/11/2018)

Tornado Warnings: 0

Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 3 (Last: 6/6/2018)

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: 0

SPC Day 1 High Risks: 0 (Last: 6/5/2008)

SPC Day 1 Moderate Risks: 1 (Last: 6/1/2018)

SPC Day 1 Enhanced Risks: 2 (Last: 6/11/2018)

SPC Day 1 Slight Risks: 5 (Last: 6/6/2018)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2017-2018: 12/23-12/24 (3.6), 1/22 (1.8), 2/5 (1.6), 2/6 (2.0), 2/9-2/10 (2.8), 2/21-2/22 (1.9), 4/14-4/15 (2.0)

Total Snowfall for 2017-2018 @ KLNK: 21.4"               Coldest Low: -19*F (1/1/2018)

First flake of the season: 10/31/2017 @ 1:17 PM        Last flake of the season: 4/15/2018 @ 9:22 AM

OKwx2k4

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:38 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2829 posts
I'm not from Nebraska but congrats on moving to where it really snows.

Tom

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:31 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16475 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

Hi guys,

As some of you know, I will no longer be a resident of Nebraska beginning in May. Instead, I will be joining the dark-side-- where I will be living in Chicago. It has been an amazing run. I know that this post is unnecessary, but I will genuinely miss being part of the Nebraska posters. Weird to think about how we all have been together as a group for half or even close to a full decade, posting regularly about weather on this forum. It was awesome to share insight with all of you about how much Nebraska sucks in the winter, only to be made up by the best severe weather I've ever seen of anywhere I've lived in my entire life. It's been awesome, and despite my absence, I will always be rooting for you guys out here. In the meantime, let's warm tf up and get some severe weather before I go eh?!?

Again, I can't thank you guys enough. LNK_wx, Gabel23, Jeremy, CentralNebWeather, Clint, FarmerRick and Craig, thanks for being here to talk about our local weather for so many years. It's truly been a blessing.

Otherwise, let's fire up the LES machine baby! Someone has to takes Geos's spot amirite? :)

This post right here shows how genuine, passionate and charismatic you are with our small community of wx enthusiasts.  Congrats on the move.  Chitown welcomes you back!

• Illinois_WX likes this

jaster220

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:08 AM

jaster220

St. Joseph Lighthouse January 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4527 posts
  • LocationKRMY (Marshall, MI) KBEH (work)

Hi guys,

Nice post. I could not imagine investing the amount of time you and others do in here for 15" of snowfall stretched out over 6 months. Not reaching at least double digits in a Met winter month = zzzzzzz wx personally. Ofc, having experienced NMI snowbelts where 100" by Christmas happened prolly tainted me for life. Amazing the difference in perspectives! Thankfully I'm not into severe tho, cuz SWMI is as bad with that as OMA is with snow. 

This post right here shows how genuine, passionate and charismatic you are with our small community of wx enthusiasts.  Congrats on the move.  Chitown welcomes you back!

Back??

Anyways, a warm welcome to the Dark "White side"  :lol:

• Illinois_WX likes this

Winter 2017-18 Snow Total = 68.3"  Oct: 0.0 Nov: 0.0 Dec: 24.2 Jan: 14.5 Feb: 19.7 Mar: 4.7 Apr: 5.2 (annual avg for mby = ~49.9", avg for last 10 seasons = 67.4" ) 135% of normal-what a stretch it's been!!

Winter 2016-17 Snow Total = 52"

Winter 2015-16 Snow Total = 57.4"

Winter 2014-15 Snow Total = 55.3"

Winter 2013-14 Snow Total = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!) 

Winter 2012-13 Snow Total = 47.2"

Winter 2011-12 Snow Total = 43.7"

Notable Blizzards/Snowstorms in SWMI: Nov 2015, Feb 2015, Jan 2014Feb 2011, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Jan 1982, Jan 1979, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, March 1973, Jan 1967, March 1947, Jan 1918

"Long range winter forecasting - it's like tossing darts in a hurricane.."  "In my day, they didn't name 'em, they just called 'em blizzards! *Shakes fist in air and ambles away mumbling to himself" and to think kids nowadays get day's off school because the wind blew. I think in '78 we only got 1 day off”  "..It's the U.P. where there are two seasons. Winter, and three months of bad skiing.."

Tom

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:12 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16475 posts

Nice post. I could not imagine investing the amount of time you and others do in here for 15" of snowfall stretched out over 6 months. Not reaching at least double digits in a Met winter month = zzzzzzz wx personally. Ofc, having experienced NMI snowbelts where 100" by Christmas happened prolly tainted me for life. Amazing the difference in perspectives! Thankfully I'm not into severe tho, cuz SWMI is as bad with that as OMA is with snow. 

Back??

Anyways, a warm welcome to the Dark "White side"  :lol:

He grew up here many years ago...

Illinois_WX

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:01 AM

Illinois_WX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*inhale*OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
It'll be sad not having you here. Guess I'll have to root for Chicago now!

Duuuude I know :( we never got to make the snow dyck in snowlovers yard! we'll stay in touch though m8 don't worry!

# of times it was too warm and ended up being 33 and rain during these years : 20

# of times the storm looked at Nebraska and was like "yeah, good joke" , then ran to Chicago: 50

Illinois_WX

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:05 AM

Illinois_WX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts

Thanks boss. looking forward to crushing some weights with you this summer  ;) 

• Tom likes this

LNK_Weather

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:52 AM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Duuuude I know :( we never got to make the snow dyck in snowlovers yard! we'll stay in touch though m8 don't worry!

Ay maybe if we cash in this weekend!

• Illinois_WX likes this

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2017-2018: 12/23-12/24 (3.6), 1/22 (1.8), 2/5 (1.6), 2/6 (2.0), 2/9-2/10 (2.8), 2/21-2/22 (1.9), 4/14-4/15 (2.0)

Total Snowfall for 2017-2018 @ KLNK: 21.4"               Coldest Low: -19*F (1/1/2018)

First flake of the season: 10/31/2017 @ 1:17 PM        Last flake of the season: 4/15/2018 @ 9:22 AM

gabel23

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:56 AM

gabel23

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1179 posts
  • LocationShelby, NE

Hi guys,

I hope you don't jinx the snow storms in Chicago with your move!!! Enjoy man, it was always my dream to teach in a suburb of Chicago and have season tickets to cubs games. Family and kids then took over that dream, but Nebraska will miss you and hopefully you can cash in on a storm or two on the magnitude of the GHD storm!! You watch, we will now be ground central for huge massive storms out here in the plains while you move to the big city life that is chicago!!! 

• Illinois_WX likes this

iFred

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:57 AM

iFred

The Weather Forums

• (° ͟ʖ°)
  • 2360 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania.

Hi guys,

If you want me to change your name to ChicagoSuperMegaBlizzardAllTheTime, let me know.

• Tom, Illinois_WX and jaster220 like this

Illinois_WX

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

Illinois_WX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts

If you want me to change your name to ChicagoSuperMegaBlizzardAllTheTime, let me know.

Lolol, I was thinking JakeEffectSnow because my name is Jake, but I'll consider that :P

LNK_Weather

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:30 AM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3053 posts
In your last month here, if you see the silver Elantra with the Texas plates roadraging that's me.

Illinois_WX

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:53 AM

Illinois_WX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts

I hope you don't jinx the snow storms in Chicago with your move!!! Enjoy man, it was always my dream to teach in a suburb of Chicago and have season tickets to cubs games. Family and kids then took over that dream, but Nebraska will miss you and hopefully you can cash in on a storm or two on the magnitude of the GHD storm!! You watch, we will now be ground central for huge massive storms out here in the plains while you move to the big city life that is chicago!!! 

Lol well being there during some of their harshest winters in the early 00's, I think I'll be fine :D but thanks boss! I'm going to be living within walking distance of Wrigley field. Cannot describe how excited I am, even though I'm a brewers fan :P and tbh, I hope you guys do! Even though I wont be here, you guys deserve it. 2010 repeat on deck next year baby! 

Tom

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:18 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16475 posts

Lol well being there during some of their harshest winters in the early 00's, I think I'll be fine :D but thanks boss! I'm going to be living within walking distance of Wrigley field. Cannot describe how excited I am, even though I'm a brewers fan :P and tbh, I hope you guys do! Even though I wont be here, you guys deserve it. 2010 repeat on deck next year baby!

Wrigleyville has done an amazing transformation over the past 2 years. I drove by there earlier this winter and it’s unrecognizable. Hotels being built, new bars/restaurants, such a different look. Your going to have a blast living in that area. Very hot place to live.

jaster220

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:35 AM

jaster220

St. Joseph Lighthouse January 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4527 posts
  • LocationKRMY (Marshall, MI) KBEH (work)

Chi-town's lack of direct hits the past 2 or 3 yrs means he's actually moving at a good time cuz that's gotta end. The entire stretch from OMA to ORD needs to get back in the game tbh. Hopefully we see that asap for everyone's sanity  :lol:

• gabel23 and Illinois_WX like this

Winter 2017-18 Snow Total = 68.3"  Oct: 0.0 Nov: 0.0 Dec: 24.2 Jan: 14.5 Feb: 19.7 Mar: 4.7 Apr: 5.2 (annual avg for mby = ~49.9", avg for last 10 seasons = 67.4" ) 135% of normal-what a stretch it's been!!

Winter 2016-17 Snow Total = 52"

Winter 2015-16 Snow Total = 57.4"

Winter 2014-15 Snow Total = 55.3"

Winter 2013-14 Snow Total = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!) 

Winter 2012-13 Snow Total = 47.2"

Winter 2011-12 Snow Total = 43.7"

Notable Blizzards/Snowstorms in SWMI: Nov 2015, Feb 2015, Jan 2014Feb 2011, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Jan 1982, Jan 1979, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, March 1973, Jan 1967, March 1947, Jan 1918

"Long range winter forecasting - it's like tossing darts in a hurricane.."  "In my day, they didn't name 'em, they just called 'em blizzards! *Shakes fist in air and ambles away mumbling to himself" and to think kids nowadays get day's off school because the wind blew. I think in '78 we only got 1 day off”  "..It's the U.P. where there are two seasons. Winter, and three months of bad skiing.."

NEJeremy

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1887 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Lucky guy! I'm a huge Cubs fan. Should be a fun series with you guys starting tonight. I went to Wrigley last year and was my first experience with the new scoreboard, etc. Definitely WAY different than when I went last about 5 years ago. I'm seeing the Cubs down in KC this August as I don't think I will make it out to Chicago again this summer.

Illinois_WX

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:17 PM

Illinois_WX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts

Wrigleyville has done an amazing transformation over the past 2 years. I drove by there earlier this winter and it’s unrecognizable. Hotels being built, new bars/restaurants, such a different look. Your going to have a blast living in that area. Very hot place to live.

Lucky guy! I'm a huge Cubs fan. Should be a fun series with you guys starting tonight. I went to Wrigley last year and was my first experience with the new scoreboard, etc. Definitely WAY different than when I went last about 5 years ago. I'm seeing the Cubs down in KC this August as I don't think I will make it out to Chicago again this summer.

I cannot WAIT. My place is amazing, and expensive, but worth it! I'm so pumped. If you guys need a place to stumble to drunkenly after a cubs game you know where to find me :)

• Tom and jaster220 like this

gabel23

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:59 PM

gabel23

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1179 posts
  • LocationShelby, NE

I cannot WAIT. My place is amazing, and expensive, but worth it! I'm so pumped. If you guys need a place to stumble to drunkenly after a cubs game you know where to find me :)

It would be pretty awesome if we could all meet up at the cubby bear for some priming when the brewers are in town sometime in our lifetime! What would we talk about more.....weather or baseball?!?!

• Tom, Illinois_WX, jaster220 and 1 other like this