April 13th-16th Spring Bowling Ball Powerhouse

Tom

This storm is starting to hit the local media and schools.  Already talk about changes to schedules potentially on Saturday.  NWS Hastings still not ready to hoist any type of watches yet, but is concerned about snow and very strong winds that could severely impact travel this weekend.  It seems like almost all of our storms this year in Central Nebraska have hit on a weekend.  I will post updates as they occur.  With myself traveling this weekend, I am very concerned.  I used to take chances with travel in any type of weather when I was younger, but I have much more respect now for the power of storms.

The 2" that's being forecasted for here doesn't do justice for how hard it could come down and the wind. It's mid-April, surface temps will likely be above freezing, this will be low-ratio slush. Ground won't be able to support snow initially considering we hit the upper 60s yesterday and will be in the 70s the next few days. It'll take a LOT to get 2" here. 

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

16” Kuchera....and still snowing at the end of the run. 25”+ to the west of here. It’s nice to look at, but the models are difficult to believe with blocking in place and a possible secondary piece of energy moving up from the south.

21 and still snowing here. Fun to be able to watch clown maps this close. Obviously expecting things to be much more realistic. Better samping on shore is really vital with this because of the other factors that are also causing issues i.e the blocking combined with the usual uncertainties.

Another 16” run on the 12z GFS. More than that by Stormgeek. GEM looks like another crush job too. Interested to see what the ensembles show.

Waiting for the bombshell runs that this falls apart on before I start judgement, but trends so far are nice. Heard first prediction of totals by Lynch on WCCO going with 2-4. Interested to see how that ages with such a wild and very complex system.

Edit: Funny note: Paul Douglas in his blog today, before the 12z NAM said he was "Praying the NAM Verifies. Not sure I can take a foot of snow in the Twin Cities early in the weekend". Kind of funny and shows how models can be sometimes.

The S trend continues here in North Central,IA-  DMX says NW-- things are starting to say more N to NC. (at least for IA)snku_acc.us_mw.png

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Waiting for the bombshell runs that this falls apart on before I start judgement, but trends so far are nice. Heard first prediction of totals by Lynch on WCCO going with 2-4. Interested to see how that ages with such a wild and very complex system.

Mike Lynch needs to call it and stay in FL. Typical snowbird forecast that returned N too early.

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Unless there's changes, I'll be chasing Friday in Iowa. 12Z NAM models today paint a decent setup in southern Iowa. I plan on going just east of the surface low and near the warm front. Shear profiles look better on today's runs of the NAM and even the GFS vs yesterday's runs. 

• Like 2

It seems like (esp on the S edge ) the snow field is expanding on the 12Z GFS compared to previous runs. Especially in WI, and NC IA. 

The way this system is trending, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chitown get some accumulating snow.  Last nights 00z EPS did shift south a bit from its previous 00z run and def colder once it pushes to the east when the secondary piece re-energizes the system.  Quite the mid-April powerhouse slow bowling ball!  BTW, this pattern is going to produce several more before the month is out.

Tom, correct me if I'm wrong but this storm is matching up with the one that occurred on Jan. 21 which would make it 82 days ago or 2 cycles ago?? 

Tom, correct me if I'm wrong but this storm is matching up with the one that occurred on Jan. 21 which would make it 82 days ago or 2 cycles ago?? 

This is actually the first storm of LRC cycle #1 way back on Oct 6th/7th, then cycled through around Thanksgiving, then Jan 11th-13th and back on Feb 23rd-24th (severe wx outbreak in AR/NE TX).  The cycle is around 47.5 days.  In essence, we are starting LRC cycle #5.

• Like 2

Waiting for the bombshell runs that this falls apart on before I start judgement, but trends so far are nice. Heard first prediction of totals by Lynch on WCCO going with 2-4. Interested to see how that ages with such a wild and very complex system.Edit: Funny note: Paul Douglas in his blog today, before the 12z NAM said he was "Praying the NAM Verifies. Not sure I can take a foot of snow in the Twin Cities early in the weekend". Kind of funny and shows how models can be sometimes.

Here’s what Paul Douglas’s updated blog now says:

‘Stay tuned for continuous updates on what may be an historic, mid-April snowfall. So far the Twin Cities have picked up 10.3" so far in April. The all-time April snowfall record for MSP is 21.8" set in 1983. At the rate we're going we may come close.’