Late April 2018 Heatwave Contest

Jesse

30mins late, hope that doesn’t disqualify me.

SEA:

76/48

74/51

80/54

64/54

58/49

PDX:

81/51

85/53

86/55

59/54

58/53

30mins late, hope that doesn’t disqualify me.

SEA:

76/48

74/51

80/54

64/54

58/49

PDX:

81/51

85/53

86/55

59/54

58/53

Nah, you’re good. Few enough people participated that it wouldn’t make sense to disqualify anyone. :P

Snowsquall may be getting sued by Jim Cantore, though.

• Like 2

Frontal snow squall possibly writes the forecast for the weather channel.

What’s with the drop off tomorrow?

Both the ECMWF and GFS have a slightly deeper boundary layer tomorrow over SEA, for whatever reason.

I don’t understand PNW climo well at all, but I factored it in somewhat.

Both the ECMWF and GFS have a slightly deeper boundary layer tomorrow over SEA, for whatever reason.

Probably the weak shortwave brushing us to the north and east.

• Like 1

Probably the weak shortwave brushing us to the north and east.

Ah. Your climate is a b*tch to figure out. I would think that with the Pacific Ocean upstream, that a shortwave graze would increase mid-level moisture draw, but that’s not what last night’s soundings showed, despite the lower sfc temps.

Hmm. Maybe it’s a Puget Sound thing. I’d be surprised if tomorrow isn’t as warm or warmer than today up this way.

Looks like 77/49 at SEA and 80/53 at PDX today unless rounding ups the highs a degree. Right now the unofficial standings after day 1:

Phil: -5

FrontalSnowsquall:-6

Jesse: -12

I biffed it on the low. Should have trusted my phone.

Those east winds never really died down. Deep/dry mixing layer was later revealed on the soundings.

FrontalSnowSquall’s phone is a genius.

Hmm. Maybe it’s a Puget Sound thing. I’d be surprised if tomorrow isn’t as warm or warmer than today up this way.

I have no clue why..maybe it’s just wrong. Most models still have it cooler at the surface in Seattle tomorrow, but hotter in Portland. For whatever reason.

Those east winds never really died down. Deep/dry mixing layer was later revealed on the soundings.

FrontalSnowSquall’s phone is a genius.

TWC is my all time favorite weather app. I love all the different weather features it has. Other the years I've found their forecast to be the most accurate especially if you're not familiar with a specific location. For PDX though, I put a little more weight on the KPTV forecast, especially if it's Mark's. All the other stations forecast aren't as accurate IMHO.

TWC is my all time favorite weather app. I love all the different weather features it has. Other the years I've found their forecast to be the most accurate especially if you're not familiar with a specific location. For PDX though, I put a little more weight on the KPTV forecast, especially if it's Mark's. All the other stations forecast aren't as accurate IMHO.

Yeah, but the point of a forecast contest is making your own forecast. If those numbers end up the closest TWC wins, not you. ;)

SEA is up to 75 and will probably rise another degree or two.

I am rooting for them to get warmer today so they are closer to my forecast of 77 and farther from 71. :)

Looks like the high was 75. So that weird mini-cooldown on the models was for real.

Now you guys know my secret to winning so many of these contests...

Maybe I’m missing the joke, but can’t recall you ever winning a forecast contest.