Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

May 2018 Observations and Discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

jaster220

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

jaster220

St. Joseph Lighthouse January 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4593 posts
  • LocationKRMY (Marshall, MI) KBEH (work)

Alberto looking impressive on radar. Wtf...looks like an Hurricane. :lol: :huh:

Looks like a hurricane heading for Lake Michigan! An outer band developing toward Peoria wrapping into the system as we speak. Very cool.

Hope your bday was great Tom!
Yeah Alberto looks cool on radar.

:blink:

Attached File  20180530 Tropical Remnant Alberto.PNG   826.26KB   0 downloads

jaster220

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4593 posts

That "eye wall" on radar might swipe my area...as I write this, I just heard a clap of thunder as storms are starting to fire up in the seasons soupiest airmass to date.  I just mowed the lawn and I'm sweating big time.

I just cut the grass and boy it is very humid out there. Came in and took a shower. As for the temperature it is a reported 86 at GRR with a DP of 71° here at my house I have a  temperature of 91° and a DP of 70° It is partly cloudy here with broken dark clouds moving in from the SE the winds have also picked up and are SE a reported 15 MPH at the airport but more like 25 MPH plus here at my house.

Knowing I'd not have a chance to do mine in time today, I had to do it last evening just before dark. With the outflow breeze from some storms west of Kzoo and night setting in, it was actually reasonable and I barely sweated at all. I figured to be a sweat ball as it had been 92F about 5 pm. Pleasantly surprised how it turned out tbh

• Tom likes this

St Paul Storm

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

St Paul Storm

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN
Latest HRRR showing that line of storms west of Chicago falling apart before reaching downtown. That would be an amazing collapse.

BrianJK

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

BrianJK

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationElmhurst, IL

Latest HRRR showing that line of storms west of Chicago falling apart before reaching downtown. That would be an amazing collapse.

Was just looking at radar returns wondering if I’m actually going to get squeezed out in the middle. Pouring buckets on both sides of me. Very weird scenario

Tom

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:29 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16773 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

I can see the dark clouds just to my west.  These storms are crawling.  I really hope they hold together for 2 reasons...1) Break the record  2) Experience some tropical downpours

• OKwx2k4 likes this

BrianJK

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:50 PM

BrianJK

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationElmhurst, IL

I can see the dark clouds just to my west. These storms are crawling. I really hope they hold together for 2 reasons...1) Break the record 2) Experience some tropical downpours

It’s here

Tom

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16773 posts

It’s here

Made it here as well. It was pouring for about 10 min, let up a bit ago, but some heavier cells are creeping their way here.

Illinois_WX

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

Illinois_WX

Nebraskan Living In Chicago

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL (Uptown)

Made it here as well. It was pouring for about 10 min, let up a bit ago, but some heavier cells are creeping their way here.

Nada here! Lol what’re the odds eh? I think we’ll be fine but it’s muggy af so some rain cooled air would be nice.
  • Tom likes this

LINCOLN NEBRASKA SNOW TOTALS:

13-14 : 0"

14-15: 0"

15-16" : 0"

16-17 : 0"

17-18 : Probably 10", so in other words, 0" ​ 5.5"

# of times it was too warm and ended up being 33 and rain during these years : 20

# of times the storm essentially turned into dust: 25

# of times the storm looked at Nebraska and was like "yeah, good joke" , then ran to Chicago: 50

Tom

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16773 posts

Holy crap...

Deet0HsW4AAhDzi.jpg

• Hawkeye and jaster220 like this

BrianJK

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

BrianJK

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationElmhurst, IL
Very heavy cell hit. Yard flooded, power flickered, house shaking thunder.
  • jaster220 likes this

OKwx2k4

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:09 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Holy crap...

Deet0HsW4AAhDzi.jpg

Wow. Tropical indeed!
  • Tom and jaster220 like this

Tom

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:28 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16773 posts

We did it...Chicago just experienced it's wettest May on record with 8.21" of rain.  Yesterday's rainfall out in the western burbs was what you'd expect from a subtropical storm.  Meantime, I'm going to enjoy the dry and seasonal weather starting tomorrow...one more day of running the A/C today with temps approaching near 90F and humid.

Deg5Y9xW4AElk0J.jpg

Friday could be a bit chilly near the lake...interesting to note, that on the graphic below, the year ('78) had an ENSO neutral summer, which ended up having a weak Nino for the following Winter.  

featurenew053118.jpg?quality=85&strip=al

• OKwx2k4 likes this

Tom

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:57 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16773 posts

"Friday night Boomers"???  All the models are picking up on a long-lasting MCS Friday night that races across S NE.  Last nights 00z Euro crushes LNK, misses OMA....the high rez NAM is suggesting the southerly route as well....I think someone on here is going to get hit hard Friday night....

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_54.png

BrianJK

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:32 AM

BrianJK

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationElmhurst, IL
I knew we got hit pretty good here. Ended up with 3.00” and multiple roads and underpasses flooded. Crazy part is the majority of that rain fell in under an hour. Really hoping going forward we can get some “normal” rains instead of these deluges we’ve experienced this month.
  • Tom and jaster220 like this

Bryan1117

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:50 AM

Bryan1117

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

"Friday night Boomers"??? All the models are picking up on a long-lasting MCS Friday night that races across S NE. Last nights 00z Euro crushes LNK, misses OMA....the high rez NAM is suggesting the southerly route as well....I think someone on here is going to get hit hard Friday night....

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_54.png

Ouch! Even though I wouldn’t be surprised if we completely missed out on storms again here in Omaha, given how our Spring has trended around here.

Niko

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:54 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4717 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

No effects from Alberto for my area in terms of rainfall, but did experience its clouds and a few breezy conditions along w a surge of tropical airmass, which had dews in the 70s, ugh!

Niko

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:56 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4717 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Drier weather coming tomorrow as a CF will usher in some relief from this heat. Weekend looks splendid! :D

Some upper 40s are possible tomorrow nite and early next week IMBY, b4 80s return by mid week.

• jaster220 likes this

Niko

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:07 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4717 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

@ Jaster

You probably had a better shot w Alberto than I did. :unsure:

jaster220

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:15 AM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4593 posts

We did it...Chicago just experienced it's wettest May on record with 8.21" of rain.  Yesterday's rainfall out in the western burbs was what you'd expect from a subtropical storm.  Meantime, I'm going to enjoy the dry and seasonal weather starting tomorrow...one more day of running the A/C today with temps approaching near 90F and humid.

Deg5Y9xW4AElk0J.jpg

Friday could be a bit chilly near the lake...interesting to note, that on the graphic below, the year ('78) had an ENSO neutral summer, which ended up having a weak Nino for the following Winter.  

featurenew053118.jpg?quality=85&strip=al

tease, tease, tease..

@ Jaster

You probably had a better shot w Alberto than I did. :unsure:

Yep, around 1/2" fell in two rounds. Just perfect actually. Enough to water all the garden plants and flowers without compounding the saturated ground water and basement scenario. I think I can finally mop-n-dry it out this weekend. Started back on the 11th  :rolleyes:

Niko

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:54 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4717 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Yep, around 1/2" fell in two rounds. Just perfect actually. Enough to water all the garden plants and flowers without compounding the saturated ground water and basement scenario. I think I can finally mop-n-dry it out this weekend. Started back on the 11th  :rolleyes:

I figured you will benefit more from Alberto's rains then my area. Congrats buddy! :D

Glad your basement is drying out nicely. Have ya thought of any possible solutions that might help solve this issue you are having w it? :unsure:

westMJim

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

westMJim

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1090 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, mi

Grand Rapids official rain fall amount for Alberto was 1.32″ But here at my house I did not get that much as I only recorded 0.71″ of nice warm rain.

• jaster220 likes this

jaster220

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4593 posts

I figured you will benefit more from Alberto's rains then my area. Congrats buddy! :D

Glad your basement is drying out nicely. Have ya thought of any possible solutions that might help solve this issue you are having w it? :unsure:

Yeah, dry it out and sell during a drought. Seriously tho, I have thought on it ofc but not sure if there are any good options other than my first sentence, lol. A neighbor across the street told me a couple years ago that the school wasn't keeping their dry-well drain cleaned out and that was causing more water in my yard. Not sure 'bout that tho. They've since rounded him up due to mental instability issues. So, Idk if his theory held any water?  :lol:

westMJim

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

westMJim

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Almost gone!!!  Looks like there is just a small patch of snow left on Mt Ripley, The last two years a snow patch stayed into June not the case this year,

https://www.mtu.edu/...ill/motion.html

• jaster220 likes this

Niko

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4717 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Yeah, dry it out and sell during a drought. Seriously tho, I have thought on it ofc but not sure if there are any good options other than my first sentence, lol. A neighbor across the street told me a couple years ago that the school wasn't keeping their dry-well drain cleaned out and that was causing more water in my yard. Not sure 'bout that tho. They've since rounded him up due to mental instability issues. So, Idk if his theory held any water?  :lol:

That can be an option..... :unsure: Something to think about.

A dry well plays an important part. It most certainly needs to be freed from any debris. Otherwise, it will not dispose any unwanted water and then, you start having flood issues. :huh:

Or, hire a lawyer and sue the school for damages..... :lol: ;)

• jaster220 likes this

Niko

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

Niko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4717 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Currently, a blend of sun and clouds and quite warm and humid w temps well into the 80s.

Tom

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16773 posts

The CFSv2, which pretty much nailed the March/April temps across the CONUS, is going to do a pretty d**n good job for May.  The last several days of the month the model began to see the warmth coming and a trough over Hudson Bay/Greenland.

summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.201805.gif

With 1 more day to go, here is a nationwide temp departure map...

MonthTDeptUS.png

• jaster220 likes this

NEJeremy

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:33 PM

NEJeremy

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

today's highs outperformed the forecast by quite a bit. Forecast was "only" for 90, but we're at 95. Coming into today we were a whopping 8 degrees above normal for the month and we're almost 20 degrees above normal for the high again today. Also almost 3" below normal for rain and last I saw, we're already almost 6" below normal for the year.

Bryan1117

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

Bryan1117

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

today's highs outperformed the forecast by quite a bit. Forecast was "only" for 90, but we're at 95. Coming into today we were a whopping 8 degrees above normal for the month and we're almost 20 degrees above normal for the high again today. Also almost 3" below normal for rain and last I saw, we're already almost 6" below normal for the year.

What hurts the most about this is the month of May is by far our rainiest month climatology speaking... this spells some significant trouble down the line if June-August are even below or just slightly below normal precipation-wise and normal to above normal temperature-wise.

It’s even more ridiculous seeing areas in the Midwest that have gotten absolutely dumped on lately, while we are begging for any type of widespread moderate rain around Eastern Nebraska.
  • Hawkeye and NEJeremy like this

LNK_Weather

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:05 PM

LNK_Weather

Apparently my posts are garbage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3228 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE (The Shaft City)

What hurts the most about this is the month of May is by far our rainiest month climatology speaking... this spells some significant trouble down the line if June-August are even below or just slightly below normal precipation-wise and normal to above normal temperature-wise.

It’s even more ridiculous seeing areas in the Midwest that have gotten absolutely dumped on lately, while we are begging for any type of widespread moderate rain around Eastern Nebraska.

Even far Western Nebraska has gotten 5x as much rain as us this month. They're typically the drier climate. Only good that does for us is it keeps the Platte flowing.

2018 Severe Weather Season Statistics for my apartment:

Tornado Watches: 2 (Last: 6/11/2018)

Tornado Warnings: 0 (Last: 5/9/2016)

Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 4 (Last: 6/30/2018)

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: 3 (Last: 6/30/2018)

SPC Day 1 High Risks: 0 (Last: 6/5/2008)

SPC Day 1 Moderate Risks: 1 (Last: 6/1/2018)

SPC Day 1 Enhanced Risks: 3 (Last: 6/30/2018)

SPC Day 1 Slight Risks: 7 (Last: 7/25/2018)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2017-2018: 12/23-12/24 (3.6), 1/22 (1.8), 2/5 (1.6), 2/6 (2.0), 2/9-2/10 (2.8), 2/21-2/22 (1.9), 4/14-4/15 (2.0)

Total Snowfall for 2017-2018 @ KLNK: 21.4"               Coldest Low: -19*F (1/1/2018)

First flake of the season: 10/31/2017 @ 1:17 PM        Last flake of the season: 4/15/2018 @ 9:22 AM

OKwx2k4

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:05 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Yeah, dry it out and sell during a drought. Seriously tho, I have thought on it ofc but not sure if there are any good options other than my first sentence, lol. A neighbor across the street told me a couple years ago that the school wasn't keeping their dry-well drain cleaned out and that was causing more water in my yard. Not sure 'bout that tho. They've since rounded him up due to mental instability issues. So, Idk if his theory held any water? :lol:

Lol. "...if his theory held any water?" I see whatcha did there. :lol:
  • jaster220 likes this

OKwx2k4

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:12 PM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3058 posts
Well, this month is coming to a close tonight and also closes out one of the most bi-polar spring seasons I have ever remembered. Statistically, or blended as a season, it will be hard to look at and see what happened. From probably the coldest 6 weeks to open the season for lots of you folks to a blast-furnace/Michigan tropical cyclone finish with a Chicago rainfall record on top. Pretty neat. We're all in a far different world than we were just 30 days ago. Anyway, here's to summer! May it be short. Hehe. JK.
  • Tom, jaster220 and westMJim like this

westMJim

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:27 AM

westMJim

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

May wrap

With a mean temperature of 64.8° (+6.1°) May 2018 will be the 4th warmest May in Grand Rapids history 1977 is the warmest at 65.7° 1896 is the 2nd at 65.3° in 3rd place is 1982 at 65.0° and now 2018 with 64.8°. New record highs were of 93° were set on the 27th and 29th and 94° on the 28th that 94° is the 2nd warmest reading ever in the month of May at Grand Rapids. A new record warmest minimum was recorded on May 3rd with a low of only 62­  The High for the month was that 94° the coldest for the month was only 40° this is the first time it has not gotten below 40 at GR in May since 1998. There was 5.64” of pricip 6 clear days 17 partly cloudy days and 8 cloudy days.

At Muskegon the mean for May was 62.8 (+5.9°) Record highs were set on May 28, 29 and 30th A record all time May high of 95 was set on May 28th only to be broken the next day with a high of 96°

At Lansing the mean for the month was 64.7° (+7.0°) There were no record highs for May at Lansing, But a new record warmest minimum was recorded on May 3rd  All in All May 2018 was a very warm month and it came after a very cold April.

westMJim

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:30 AM

westMJim

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Well, this month is coming to a close tonight and also closes out one of the most bi-polar spring seasons I have ever remembered. Statistically, or blended as a season, it will be hard to look at and see what happened. From probably the coldest 6 weeks to open the season for lots of you folks to a blast-furnace/Michigan tropical cyclone finish with a Chicago rainfall record on top. Pretty neat. We're all in a far different world than we were just 30 days ago. Anyway, here's to summer! May it be short. Hehe. JK.

Here at Grand Rapids we went from a top ten coldest April's to May being the 4th warmest in GR history. I can not find any year with such a big flip from one month to another.

• jaster220 likes this

OKwx2k4

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Here at Grand Rapids we went from a top ten coldest April's to May being the 4th warmest in GR history. I can not find any year with such a big flip from one month to another.

I haven't found a year like this one anywhere either. It will be interesting, to say the least, to see where we go from here.
  • jaster220 likes this