May Weather in the Pacific Northwest

And the lows up.

I am sure other stations in the area were similar with warm lows thanks to so many nights with clouds and often with rain.

I am a little disappointed we didn’t get as many accolades as we could have last month.

And the lows up.

I am sure other stations in the area were similar with warm lows thanks to so many nights with clouds and often with rain.

Bellingham and Seattle WFO had average lows 1-2 degrees cooler than SEA.

Olympia had an average low of 39.

The same situation was true down here with all surrounding stations having average lows 2-4 degrees cooler than PDX’s. Might as well just make peace with the fact that lows at PDX and SEA are basically bad data these days. Or at least not historically representative thanks to extensive land use changes.

• Like 1

Bellingham and Seattle WFO had average lows 1-2 degrees cooler than SEA.

Olympia had an average low of 39.

The same situation was true down here with all surrounding stations having average lows 2-4 degrees cooler than PDX’s. Might as well just make peace with the fact that lows at PDX and SEA are basically bad data these days. Or at least not historically representative thanks to extensive land use changes.

Overall departures...

SEA +1.0

WFO SEA +0.1

OLM +0.4

BLI  +0.9

HQM  +1.6

UIL  +0.8

I think you overstating the case a little bit.

The average of the other stations combined is +0.8 and SEA was +1.0

That looks fairly representative to me.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Lots and lots of rain.   

3rd wettest April ever.    ;)

And yet, looking closer one finds that the vast majority of the rain fell on just 12 days last month. 

5.69" for the month...but those 18 other days only had .10" total precip.

A forum for the end of the world.

Leave it to Tim to go on about the rain on an evening like this...  :lol:

attachicon.gifScreenshot_1.png

Seriously?   We were talking about the temperature departures... and the rain definitely affected the highs and the lows.

Clearing has been very slow today... the I-5 corridor is mostly clear now.

sat_5_1.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Overall departures...

SEA +1.0

WFO SEA +0.1

OLM +0.4

BLI +0.9

HQM +1.6

UIL +0.8

I think you overstating the case a little bit.

The average of the other stations combined is +0.8 and SEA was +1.0

That looks fairly representative to me.

I was being a little hyperbolic.

Departure from average lows would probably be more representative of my point, though.

I was being a little hyperbolic.

Departure from average lows would probably be more representative of my point, though.

So then highs must have gone the other way? With SEA being colder compared to their normal... because the overall departure was right on par with the other stations in the region.

So then highs must have gone the other way? With SEA being colder compared to their normal... because the overall departure was right on par with the other stations in the region.

SEA lows are affected more than the rest of the day. The further below 72 the temp is the more it is affected by UHI.

SEA lows are affected more than the rest of the day. The further below 72 the temp is the more it is affected by UHI.

Not sure about that... but my point was purely mathematical.

The overall departure at SEA was right in line with the other stations in the region.   So if the lows had a larger positive departure than the other stations... logically then the highs must have had a larger negative departure to balance it out because it ended up with the same overall departure as the other stations.

This was really interesting. 1.8-5.4 degrees from UHI. Too bad for Tim, areas downwind of the city get more rain...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_heat_island

The wind is almost never from the west here.   During rain events its usually from the south or southwest (and many times the southeast).   We are actually downwind from miles of forest and Mt. Rainier.   

Everett and Monroe are more downwind from Seattle than here. 

The mountains do just fine producing more rain here anyways.  

Not sure about that... but my point was purely mathematical.

The overall departure at SEA was right in line with the other stations in the region. So if the lows had a larger positive departure than the other stations... logically then the highs must have had a larger negative departure to balance it out because it ended up with the same overall departure as the other stations.

I have noticed UHI comes into play much more when it's dry. Like when we get frosts here in the spring, it can be nearly 10 degrees warmer in Portland while when it rains there is hardly a difference.

I have noticed UHI comes into play much more when it's dry. Like when we get frosts here in the spring, it can be nearly 10 degrees warmer in Portland while when it rains there is hardly a difference.

I have noticed the same thing.

The wind is almost never from the west here. During rain events its usually from the south or southwest (and many times the southeast). We are actually downwind from miles of forest and Mt. Rainier.

Everett and Monroe are more downwind from Seattle than here.

The mountains do just fine producing more rain here anyways.

ya areas north east of seattle would be much more affected (if there is even much of an affect in reality). I doubt you are generally in the rain shadow of Rainier though. I could see sometimes you might be but that would be rare.

ya areas north east of seattle would be much more affected (if there is even much of an affect in reality). I doubt you are generally in the rain shadow of Rainier though. I could see sometimes you might be but that would be rare.

Not too often... I think its too narrow to really produce a traditional rain shadow anyways.

I have noticed the same thing.

. I have noticed that too. I really do think it happens much more within certain temperature ranges. Especially with lower temperatures. It is somewhat simple math. Typical UHI adds heat to the surrounding atmosphere. The general heat added is around 75-85deg so the colder the temperature the bigger increase in added temp. The closer to 75-85 the less UHI will affect.

Milk just came out of my nose!

And I'm not drinking milk!!!

Might want to see a doctor about that.  

It's been proven repeatedly that SEA runs warmer anomalies than most other stations during the warm season. Not as much during the cool season.

April is when it usually just starts to become more noticeable. 

0z GFS has one hell of a GOA trough at day 10. Heading straight for Mossman's new place.

I’m just thankful that it’s looking dry and pleasant for this weekends moving in festivities!
  • Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It's been proven repeatedly that SEA runs warmer anomalies than most other stations during the warm season. Not as much during the cool season.

April is when it usually just starts to become more noticeable.

. Really? Do you know what the reason is for that? Again it seems like it would have a larger effect on the colder temperatures.

End of the day turned out pretty nice. Reached 63 about dinner time. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

. Really? Do you know what the reason is for that? Again it seems like it would have a larger effect on the colder temperatures.

Days with sunshine and a N/NW wind tend maximize the warmth from land changes around the airport. That's the guess, at least.

Sideways rain and 45 degrees? I did not see that in the models.

Summer weather doesn’t get better than that. :wub:

0z GFS has one hell of a GOA trough at day 10. Heading straight for Mossman's new place.

That’s a terrifying pattern. Please no.