May Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Seems we have found ourselves in a typical rudderless May pattern... the marine layer might stay in place for the next 3 or 4 days.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Is it possible to have Tim and Jesse a spazzing out over the same pattern?

Would that be like crossing the streams?

I know right... we are locked in a cloudy and gloomy pattern while everyone is lamenting the heat.    :rolleyes:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I know right... we are locked in a cloudy and gloomy pattern while everyone is lamenting the heat. :rolleyes:

It’s been an historically warm and dry month so far, and it looks like it could continue that way after this little marine bump in the road.

The past few days have been a nice break.

In SoCal, they call it May Gray. May and June are the coldest months of the year for the beach locations.

Well aware.

Anybody remember this one?

GrayDay.jpg

Lovely lipstick

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

It’s early, but so far, May 2018 is the coldest ever recorded across the Baffin Bay in the JRA55 dataset.

Also the 2nd warmest across the lower-48, and 4th warmest across the high Arctic.

It’s early, but so far, May 2018 is the coldest ever recorded across the Baffin Bay in the JRA55 dataset.

Also the 2nd warmest across the lower-48, and 4th warmest across the high Arctic.

Any idea when that feature finally dissipates?

The Atlantic Hadley Cell has retracted way equatorward, almost back to the glory days now.

The JMA seasonal continues the trend into summer, while the Pacific Hadley Cell remains bloated and slow.

j34NX3h.jpg

Any idea when that feature finally dissipates?

For M/J/J, we need to reduce off-equator WPAC convection for a sustained reversal.

It’s less of an issue for the PNW in A/S/O, though. No correlation to PNW/PNA exists during that period.

And come winter the factors governing it are completely different and impossible to see this far in advance. In some winters, the NPAC dominates your wavetrain, and in other years (like last winter) the Siberia/NAO exchanges dominate your wavetrain.

For M/J/J, we need to reduce off-equator WPAC convection for a sustained reversal.

It’s less of an issue in A/S/O. And come winter the factors governing it are completely different and impossible to see this far in advance.

So you don’t know.

So you don’t know.

Correct, I don’t know when it will reverse as an early summer, low frequency background state.

I suspect it will likely reverse in August, as it has done this every year since the mid-1990s, before resuming again during the autumn.

However, if it doesn’t reverse in August (as some models are suggesting), and we maintain the -AMM/-AMO through the autumn, then that’s a huge break from the last 20+ years of climatology, and would indicate an imminent return to the tropical forcing of the 1960-1990 era, or at least a departure from the 1996-present seasonality of tropical forcing.

So in that respect, it could be a good sign if if continues, despite the short term pain it would cause you. ;)

Here’s what I mean. The S/O/N AMM regime has been positive since the mid-1990s.

Right now the AMM is very negative..almost -3. If this continues into S/O/N, we’re looking at a very different circulation from the last 20+ years, right when the cold season wavetrain would be developing.

K6fG807.png

The reason I’m skeptical right now is that there’s been no trend in the AMM during A/M/J. Plenty of negative regimes during the spring/early summer during the last 20yrs.

Starting during the second half of July, the 1995-present climate regime starts diverging to +AMM, and it’s well established by the second half of August.

So if we hold this -AMM through August - November..that would be huge.

Looking like a cloudy day for the kids at the zoo. Twin bros 3rd birthday.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

That mid-1990s shift in the late summer circulation is also evident in the EPO. Nice demonstration of the NPAC/NATL relationship on low frequency timescales.

FPWDeVR.png

ymNnnGC.png

Even though ESRL’s Warm Pool index stops in 2008, you can easily see the connection. WPAC warm pool convective exhaust resonates with and/or amplified a crapload of non-linear feedbacks in the extratropics.

8foujMt.png

FWIW, the reconstructed extrapolations of these indices reveals the well-known sine wave tendency of ocean/atmosphere variability.

The amplitudes vary, but the periodicity is usually similar from a spatial perspective. The current wave happens to be very high in amplitude..probably the highest in several centuries.

FWIW, the reconstructed extrapolations of these indices reveals the well-known sine wave tendency of ocean/atmosphere variability.

The amplitudes vary, but the periodicity is usually similar from a spatial perspective. The current wave happens to be very high in amplitude..probably the highest in several centuries.

I don’t think anyone knows what you’re talking about right now, brosef.

I don’t think anyone knows what you’re talking about right now, brosef.

You know what the EPO and warm pool are, correct? I’m also 100% certain you’re familiar with the concept of a simple sine wave.

I’m describing the variability of the ocean/atmosphere circulation system, and how said variability emulates a quasi-invariant sine wave structure across time.

• Like 1

Raining fairly hard here.

Those are some pretty heavy returns just over the pass.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"