May Weather in the Pacific Northwest

I doubt anyone here has claimed dewpoints in the 40s are humid. And the vast majority of this forum would not consider a 61*F dewpoint to be humid, either.

You have not been paying attention here.

Numerous people have complained about the high humidity here since April when dewpoints were in the 40s across the region.     :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You have not been paying attention here.

Numerous people have complained about the high humidity here since April when dewpoints were in the 40s across the region. :lol:

BTW, you can stop complaining about rain now.

That number one analog, though. #2011ing

Omr0YC9.jpg

Send some our way!

But what about Tim? Why doesn’t anyone consider Tim’s wants, needs, and opinions when openly rooting for rainy weather?

• Like 1

But what about Tim? Why doesn’t anyone consider Tim’s wants, needs, and opinions when openly rooting for rainy weather?

Tim needs a swift kick in the pants. And a colonoscopy. He's got to be approaching that magical age...

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

7 days?     :lol:

We manage that by MLK Day most years.

And you had 3 days in the 80s during your streak.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Tim needs a swift kick in the pants. And a colonoscopy. He's got to be approaching that magical age...

Uggghhhhh.

We'll have to see what the EURO says but the 00z UKMET is slower with the arrival of the cut-off low compared to the GFS and CMC at day 6.

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gfs_amer_00/GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemglb_amer_00/GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_amer_00/GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

Let me make this clear for the millionth time... I don't need to cheer for rain in my area.     Dewey might need rain there.   I don't live there.   

We'll have to see what the EURO says but the 00z UKMET is slower with the arrival of the cut-off low compared to the GFS and CMC at day 6.

Its going to come fast and probably speed up more.   Bad timing.   

7 days? :lol:

We manage that by MLK Day most years.

And you had 3 days in the 80s during your streak.

Seven days in a row with at least 0.25”? You told me last week that it was just drizzle there all the time, and that you would enjoy heavier rains. So I was trying to troll you..but I guess I failed. :lol:

I’m loving this weather, BTW. We’re racking up rainfall totals that look more like snowfall totals, and I couldn’t be happier. Might end up with a foot of rain in 3 weeks.

Seven days in a row with at least 0.25”? You told me last week that it was just drizzle there all the time, and that you would enjoy heavier rains. So I was trying to troll you..but I guess I failed. :lol:

I’m loving this weather, BTW. We’re racking up rainfall totals that look more like snowfall totals, and I couldn’t be happier. Might end up with a foot of rain in 3 weeks.

Yes... 7 days with .25 or more.    We average around .40 per day in January.    

When I talk about liking heavier rain... I mean like 2 or 3 inches in a day.   That might get us a few dry days to average it out.  

And I would not mind a pattern with sun and warmth that also came with a quarter inch of rain each day.  That sounds like Minnesota in the summer.

This week also confirms to me that cloudy, stormy, rainy weather is a million times more enjoyable than 90*F+ highs with blazing sunshine and haze.

I’d prefer 45*F and drizzle all summer over that s**t.

• Like 1

Yes... 7 days with .25 or more. We average around .40 per day in January.

When I talk about liking heavier rain... I mean like 2 or 3 inches in a day. That might get us a few dry days to average it out.

And I would not mind a pattern with sun and warmth that also came with a quarter inch of rain each day. That sounds like Minnesota in the summer.

Then you would have loved this weather. Four days with at least 1”, one day with 3-5” area-wide, and only two days with drizzle.

The type of rain that even Tim can support!

This week also confirms to me that cloudy, stormy, rainy weather is a million times more enjoyable than 90*F+ highs with blazing sunshine and haze.

I’d prefer 45*F and drizzle all summer over that s**t.

Sure you would.   :rolleyes:

Until the reality sinks in that 45 and drizzle was ALL you get and that is your normal summer weather.     And then fall, winter, and spring come and its colder than summer.     You MIGHT start craving some sun and warmth pretty fast when you know that it will never come.

Even this spring... knowing full well that you will have lots of warm weather... you were getting very anxious for warm weather. 

Imagine that it never gets above 45 and it drizzles every day all summer.    That is it.    Forever.    Enjoy!   

Even people in Anchorage would go insane with that crap.   Even Jesse would be in hell.    :lol:  

Sure you would. :rolleyes:

Until the reality sinks in that 45 and drizzle was ALL you get and that is your normal summer weather. And then fall, winter, and spring come and its colder than summer. You MIGHT start craving some sun and warmth pretty fast when you know that it will never come.

Even this spring... knowing full well that you will have lots of warm weather... you were getting very anxious for warm weather.

Imagine that you never get above 45 and it drizzles every day all summer. That is it. Forever. Enjoy!

Even people in Anchorage would go insane with that crap. :lol:

I never said that I preferred 45*F and drizzle to 70*F and sunny with low humidity.

But I would take an entire summer of 45*F and drizzle over an entire summer of 90*F and swamp. Heck, I’d prefer cloudy weather all year long if it meant no swamp. I’m not trolling on this one. Everyone here agrees with me.

I never said that I preferred 45*F and drizzle to 70*F and sunny with low humidity.

But I would take an entire summer of 45*F and drizzle over an entire summer of 90*F and swamp. Heck, I’d prefer cloudy weather all year long if it meant no swamp. And everyone here agrees with me.

Everyone agree with you!  I will need to do some checking.    

So no sunshine EVER. 

Everyone in DC agrees that no sunshine EVER is better than the normal weather there.   :lol:

I have some clients in that area.  I will ask them if they would like to NEVER see the sun again if it meant that it would be cooler in the summer.   Something tells me that human beings are not going to agree with that statement either.  

Everyone agree with you!  I will need to do some checking.    

So no sunshine EVER. 

Everyone in DC agrees that no sunshine EVER is better than the normal weather there.   :lol:

I have some clients in that area.  I will ask them if they would like to NEVER see the sun again if it meant that it would be cooler in the summer.  

Am I really this bad Matt?

Everyone agree with you! I will need to do some checking.

So no sunshine EVER.

Everyone in DC agrees that no sunshine EVER is better than the normal weather there. :lol:

I have some clients in that area. I will ask them if they would like to NEVER see the sun again if it meant that it would be cooler in the summer.

I meant everyone on the forum (except you, I think).

However, it’s true that most of my friends and neighbors

share my perspective on the crappiness that is summer weather. It’s the worst season of the year according to just about everyone I know.

Hot, sweaty, smelly, swampy, and even deadly at times. Almost all of our weather related deaths happen in the summer. Lightning, flooding, falling trees, drowning, heat stroke. And it’s the most expensive season. AC bills through the roof. And it’s the season that requires the most landscape maintenance. And the mosquitos. And the stupid tourists clogging the freeways.

Am I really this bad Matt?

That is what he said.   Just challenging his silly statements.

I will ask the people I know there if they would like 45 degrees and drizzle and dark all summer or normal DC summer weather.   

The choice is:

1) The worst winter weather possible for the entire summer.

2) Normal DC summer.  

People in Charleston seemed very excited about summer finally arriving when we were there.   I did not ask... but I would assume very few of them would prefer 45 degrees and drizzle all summer long.    Even people in Barrow don't want 45 degrees and drizzle all summer long.  

However, it’s true that most of my friends and neighbors

share my perspective on the crappiness that is summer weather. It’s the worst season of the year according to just about everyone I know.

Hot, sweaty, smelly, swampy, and even deadly at times. Almost all of our weather related deaths happen in the summer. Lightning, flooding, falling trees, drowning, heat stroke.

Might well be the worst season there in terms of comfort.

But I doubt any of them would prefer dark, and cold, and drizzling all summer long.      I imagine the complaints would start up after about 3 days of bone-chilling, damp 45-degree drizzle in the summer.     ;)

No way.   

There are many people on here who like summer warmth.    Even if its really warm... its still better than our typical January weather all summer.  

That is what he said. Just challenging his silly statements.

I will ask the people I know there if they would like 45 degrees and drizzle and dark all summer or normal DC summer weather.

The choice is:

1) The worst winter weather possible for the entire summer.

2) Normal DC summer.

People in Charleston seemed very excited about summer finally arriving when we were there. I did not ask... but I would assume very few of them would prefer 45 degrees and drizzle all summer long. Even people in Barrow don't want 45 degrees and drizzle all summer long.

Charleston is a city of depressed old people. Sort of like Palm Beach, FL. So that doesn’t shock me.

Charleston is a city of depressed old people. Sort of like Palm Beach, FL. Old people are always cold, so yeah that doesn’t surprise one bit.

It seems like a very young city to me.    Very hip and progressive... not at all like what you think of South Carolina or the deep south. 

Numerous young, cheerful people told us that it was a chilly winter and early spring and they were so happy that summer was starting and how lucky we were to be there.

Hot, sweaty, smelly, swampy, and even deadly at times. Almost all of our weather related deaths happen in the summer. Lightning, flooding, falling trees, drowning, heat stroke. And it’s the most expensive season. AC bills through the roof. And it’s the season that requires the most landscape maintenance. And the mosquitos. And the stupid tourists clogging the freeways.

Oh, not to mention the millions of cicadas and katydids screaming all night long. We need to keep a fan running to drown out the noise. And restaurant prices spike way up with all the tourists in town.

Summer sucks.

Oh, not to mention the millions of cicadas and katydids screaming all night long. We need to keep a fan running to drown out the noise.

Summer sucks.

Move!

There.  Just solved all of your problems.   ;)

Move!

There. Just solved all of your problems. ;)

Touché. Not happening until my significant other and I finish our schooling, though. Then maybe we can game plan.

Touché. Not happening until my significant other and I finish our schooling, though. Then maybe we can game plan.

No place is perfect.  

Low cloud cover tomorrow at 5 p.m. per the 00Z ECMWF.

Jealous of those in SW WA and the Portland area... going to be gloomy here all day.    

Unlike the MM5 models... the ECMWF low cloud maps are very accurate.   

Untitled.png

Might well be the worst season there in terms of comfort.

But I doubt any of them would prefer dark, and cold, and drizzling all summer long. I imagine the complaints would start up after about 3 days of bone-chilling, damp 45-degree drizzle in the summer. ;)

I might complain too..but would still take 45 degree drizzle all year in return for no swamp season.

Dude, it gets so nasty here even the flowing, non-tidal waters of the Potomac River soar to 90-95*F. Down to the bottom of the river, water temperatures approach 90*F every summer.

This is last year, which was an average summer. I’m not sure you appreciate the sheer amount of energy required to heat a flowing river to 90*F Fahrenheit.

0JJju6f.png

I might complain too..but would still take 45 degree drizzle all year in return for no swamp season.

45 degrees and drizzle all year?

Every day all year.   Every year.  

That is the ONLY weather you get.   You would take that over your normal weather there?    Sure Phil.   

All of your trees would die... you could not grow anything.    

Not sure a place like that exists but I assure you it would be virtually uninhabited... for a very good reason.    :lol:

Some improvements on the 00Z ECMWF.

ULL is slower... Saturday is warm and Sunday is still decent with some mountain convection.   Monday does not look too good but its not a total washout and not as troughy as the 12Z run for that day.   And warm again by Tuesday.  

45 degrees and drizzle all year?

Every day all year.   Every year.  

That is the ONLY weather you get.   You would take that over your normal weather there?    Sure Phil.   

All of your trees would die... you could not grow anything.    

Not sure a place like that exists but I assure you it would be virtually uninhabited... for a very good reason.    :lol:

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Georgia_and_the_South_Sandwich_Islands), get pretty close. Never have to worry about drought there.

Sunshine, as with many South Atlantic Islands, is low, at a maximum of just 21.5%. This amounts to around 1,000 hours of sunshine annually. The local topography, however, also contributes significantly to the low insolation. A study published during the early 1960s[22] indicated that sunshine recording instruments remained significantly obscured throughout the year and entirely obscured during June. It was estimated that the theoretical sunshine exposure minus obstructions would be around 14% at Bird Island and 35% at King Edward Point – or, in hourly terms, ranging from around 650 hours in the west to 1,500 hours in the east.

http://itap-world.com/uploads/countries/1/1448/1275.jpg

Some improvements on the 00Z ECMWF.

ULL is slower... Saturday is warm and Sunday is still decent with some mountain convection. Monday does not look too good but its not a total washout and not as troughy as the 12Z run for that day. And warm again by Tuesday.

Troughy pattern takes hold d8-10. Would continue when extrapolated, as well.

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Georgia_and_the_South_Sandwich_Islands), get pretty close. Never have to worry about drought there.

No trees there!   Phil wants all of his trees to die.  

And that place still has way more sunshine than the zero that Phil is proposing for his wonderful new DC climate.   And its not drizzling in that picture.   

45 degrees and drizzling every day... all year... every year.    And all the trees die.    Talk about some nice weather variety!   That sounds infinitely better than the existing DC climate.  :)

No trees!

Phil wants all of his trees to die.

And that place still has way more sunshine than the zero that Phil is proposing for his wonderful new DC climate.

45 degrees and drizzling every day... all year... every year. And all the trees die. Talk about some nice weather variety! That sounds infinitely better than the existing DC climate. :)

I don’t want 45 degree drizzle all year, but if if lasted from May to September, I would have no problem with it whatsoever. The alternative is swamp. Clear choice.