May Weather in the Pacific Northwest

There's rain on the 00z at times and that is rather depressing. Especially when one considers how wet December 2015 and November 2006 were.

Or April 2018.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The ULL that was originally supposed to crash in here with heavy rain over the weekend just a few days ago in the models is now passing by to the south and will not bring rain other than to southern and eastern OR.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It's been a washout this spring, that's for sure.

No... but the first 2/3rds of April was sure wet.

I said at the time that a dry spell was VERY likely coming for my area which usually means dry for everyone.   It was an idea that was dismissed at the time.   ;)

The ULL that was originally supposed to crash in here with heavy rain over the weekend just a few days ago in the models is now passing by to the south and will not bring rain other than to southern and eastern OR.

Hoping the rain later on in this run meets the same fate!

#ilovedust

No... but the first 2/3rds of April was sure wet.

I said at the time that a dry spell was VERY likely coming for my area which usually means dry for everyone.   It was an idea that was dismissed at the time.   ;)

Whoever dismissed it is a genius in microclimates then cause that dry spell has yet to reach your home.
  • Like 1

Hoping the rain later on in this run meets the same fate!

#ilovedust

The rains always return in force.    Never a worry here.

Whoever dismissed it is a genius in microclimates then cause that dry spell has yet to reach your home.

Its been much drier here.   Dry spells are never totally dry in this area.    Its about what I expected.    

Nice aspect of cold troughs at this time of year is that the stratus is broken up more easily.  

Just looked at Tuesday on the WRF and it shows lots of afternoon sun... GFS MOS has 67 at SEA that day.    Not too different than today.

Would be pretty bad news if the whole region dried out for the summer in late April.

Not your backyard, but the region.

Not even a concern.   There will probably be more summer rain to balance out this dry spell.   Very common.   Even in 2015... we started dry and then had several big rain events up here starting in late July and August.    It always comes.   

Tim hasn’t posted the 00z GFS maps like usual.

Must be a troughy run.

I don't post GFS maps too often.   Usually ECMWF.    

It is a troughy run though.   

You seem very anxious to troll!  

Not even a concern. There will probably be more summer rain to balance out this dry spell. Very common. Even in 2015... we started dry and then had several big rain events up here starting in late July and August. It always comes.

Yes, for your very wet backyard. Not the region.

You live in a wet enough microclimate that in order for things to be suffciently dry for your tastes the rest of the region must experience crippling drought.

• Like 1

Yes, for your very wet backyard. Not the region.

You live in a wet enough microclimate that in order for things to be suffciently dry for your tastes the rest of the region must experience crippling drought.

We are not in a crippling drought.

And news flash... my preferences don't control the weather.

Obviously.

Would be very bad news if we stayed this dry for another month or two.

Not here.    And I know it will not happen anyways.     

I would prefer a good rain event every week all summer... only during the week and at night.    :)

But my preferences are meaningless to nature.   Same with your preferences.

Not here. And I know it will not happen anyways.

I would prefer a good rain event every week all summer... only during the week and at night. :)

But my preferences are meaningless to nature. Same with your preferences.

You will probably get some rogue rain showers as always, since your area is basically a cloud and precip magnet.

As usual that wouldn’t mean much for the region as a whole though. Take the Kalmoops area which is currently suffering through one of the earliest starts to the fire season on record.

You will probably get some rogue rain showers as always, since your area is basically a cloud and precip magnet.

As usual that wouldn’t mean much for the region as a whole though. Take the Kalmoops area which is currently suffering through one of the earliest starts to the fire season on record.

Great.

Let me know how I can change it.    :rolleyes:

That trough on the 00Z ECMWF next week is so broad and diffuse that its just totally dry.   Even in my area.   

The tangible weather is really similar to today on the surface maps.   Partly to mostly sunny with highs around 70 up here.

Cools down a little more next Thursday on the 00Z run... maybe mid 60s with more clouds but still totally dry.

You should move to Florida or Arizona if you want summers full of 80s and 90s. Tim should probably consider doing so, as well.

That would be more like mid-upper 90's and 100's w/ humidity.  I said 80's.  I love that when it's warm here, there's usually no humidity. :)

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Not even a week of 90s yet. How can I possibly plan a backpacking trip? <_>

When planning your outdoor activities, you should probably wait until mid-November at the earliest to get the optimum weather you're seeking....

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Cool morning all the way down to 46 at 5:30. 

Clouds are pretty thin with breaks, so looks like this marine will beat it soon.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

A little rain on day 9 finally on the 00Z ECMWF...

ecmwf_precip_06_nw_37.png

Better than nothing. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Subtropical storm Alberto has formed. FWIW, previous Mays (non-noñ) w/ names Atlantic storms/-QBO50 are:

And 1959/1970 are the only solar maximum years. Seems like a solar minimum tendency.

• Like 1