Kilauea Major Major 2018 Eruption

Kilauea volcano: earthquakes follow eruption as Hawaii orders evacuations

Lava spurts through cracks in roads and flows in residential areas on Big Island before earthquakes with magnitudes of 5.4 and 6.9 reported

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3100.JPG

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

This site has a lot of excellent pictures.

Toxic gasses are spewing from Kilauea volcano on Hawaii's Big Island, as new fissures form and thousands are forced to flee.

The Hawaii Fire Department reports extremely dangerous air quality conditions due to high levels of sulfur dioxide gas in the evacuation area of Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens.

Elderly, young, and people with compromised respiratory systems are especially vulnerable, officials say.

Hawaii County spokeswoman Kanani Aton says two of the eight vents that have formed since Thursday are actively spattering lava. A few others are releasing steam and gas while the oldest of the vents aren't doing anything.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5695425/Hawaiis-Kilauea-volcano-spews-toxic-gasses-new-fissures-form-thousands-flee.html#ixzz5EgXRtggY

Hawaii is preparing for a long haul.

The eruption could go on for a month. Homes, roads, utilities are being destroyed.

That's earth renewal for you.

2 more fissures have opened up and that spreads the risk for deadly gas.

https://apnews.com/f35e6c21b31e49e3be47880b67e406a1/Hawaii-braces-for-long-upheaval-as-erupting-Kilauea-boils

Video and images

• Like 1

Kilauea may be about to enter a new phase as the lava lake is sinking some and ground water is combining to potentially create explosions of large boulders. Gaseous fogs are becoming a breathing issue.

-with video

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hawaii-volcano/hawaii-volcano-could-start-spewing-big-rocks-smog-ash-idUSKBN1IA1E4

“This is the first of perhaps more events like that to come,” Tina Neal, the scientist in charge of the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, said of Wednesday’s blast which shot projectiles from the crater.

Kilauea may be about to enter a new phase as the lava lake is sinking some and ground water is combining to potentially create explosions of large boulders. Gaseous fogs are becoming a breathing issue.

-with video

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hawaii-volcano/hawaii-volcano-could-start-spewing-big-rocks-smog-ash-idUSKBN1IA1E4

“This is the first of perhaps more events like that to come,” Tina Neal, the scientist in charge of the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, said of Wednesday’s blast which shot projectiles from the crater.

This is not good at all, right?

This is not good at all, right?

Well, according to history this isn't unusual. It erupts for several months, some explosive activity if groundwater is mixed in, some foul gases, loss of property, then it calms down. This is Madam Pele' doing her thing.

Idk about increased seismic activity. The suns quiet, but we have had some weird Quakes, like the 4.+ off shore from La.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good briefing by the USGS on the current eruption.

The last 3 or 4 minutes really explain how this thing is operating.

No end in sight.

• Like 1

VIDEO: USGS Details Fissures, Lava Flows In Conference Call

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/05/24/video-usgs-details-fissures-lava-flows-in-conference-call/

Nice image at the end when they are talking about methane seeping up through small fissures on the road, burning with a blue flame.

Highly explosive situation.

VIDEO: USGS Details Fissures, Lava Flows In Conference Call

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/05/24/video-usgs-details-fissures-lava-flows-in-conference-call/

Nice image at the end when they are talking about methane seeping up through small fissures on the road, burning with a blue flame.

Highly explosive situation.

Seems like this just keeps getting worse and worse. What happens if this thing really goes off?

Seems like this just keeps getting worse and worse. What happens if this thing really goes off?

Kilauea is a Shield volcano. They are characterized by their lava flows and wide shield like coverage of the landscape.

Cinder cone and Strato volcanos will give you the Big Bang we are all familiar with. A shield can eject large pieces of rock the size of buses, but they're aren't like Mt.St. Helens.

Kilauea is doing what it's always done, build land.

Kilauea is a Shield volcano. They are characterized by their lava flows and wide shield like coverage of the landscape.

Cinder cone and Strato volcanos will give you the Big Bang we are all familiar with. A shield can eject large pieces of rock the size of buses, but they're aren't like Mt.St. Helens.

Kilauea is doing what it's always done, build land.

Aah. Got it. I'm admittedly not very knowledgeable about geology at all. Kinda cool to learn from someone who is. Thanks! Living near a volcano would pretty much scare the living crap out of me.

I'm a chicken about it myself.

They're too unpredictable especially this one. You never know if it will be a little active or a lot.

I could bear to see my home go like that.

The eruption is growing to be quite dangerous. Not only are lava flows increasing in speed and volume, but the crater is collapsing and racing new dangers of a volatile explosion.

-with drone video.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/968525/Hawaii-volcano-eruption-drone-aerial-footage-cracks-Kilauea-lava-magma

There are new alarming cracks and fault seen in a collapsed crater, some of which are spewing with intense steam.

Scientists are concerned that an "expanding collapsed crater" and the debris blocking the vent could trigger a massive explosion.

Gif that demonstrates how much the summit vent has expanded. This thing has a good ways to go.

Mandatory evacuations at Leilani Estates. If you don't leave, you'll be responsible for rescue costs or risk not being rescued due to danger to responders.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/multimedia_uploads/multimediaFile-2153.gif

A 5.5 quake struck near Kiluea yesterday sending an 8000 foot ash cloud in to the air.

No tsunami was expected. Clearly, there's a lot of shifting going on deep below the summit. Lava continues to flow and fissures expand.

Kiluea does this every 30 yrs or so, but this one will be intensely studied as population grows ont he island. This is the nature of earth building. There is a mandatory evacuation heart he Volcano.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38310826/45-magnitude-quake-rattles-big-island-no-tsunami-generated

• Like 1

Good images and video.

They're evacuating Puna Easter now. The geothermal energy plant is gone. Lava has taken it.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38101099/photos-big-island-braces-for-possible-kilauea-eruption-as-quakes-continue

IMG_3195.JPG

"Honey, just doing a little landscaping...."

• Like 1

http://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/agencies-prepare-for-possible-eruption-from-kilauea-volcano/1155831630

Last night a large explosion and 5.6 earthquake occurred. Residents were evacuated as Vent 8 began to pour lava out at an alarming rate.

About 500 homes were destroyed in a matter of hours, including the Mayor. The majority of the lava flowed from Vent 8.

"PUNA (KHON2) - Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that vigorous lava eruptions continue in the lower East Rift Zone Tuesday.

Fissure 8 is very active and producing a large channelized flow that has completely filled Kapoho Bay and extends 0.7 miles from the former coastline.

To the south, lava is entering the water at the Vacationland tidepools, having inundated most of that subdivision.

To the north, lava has covered all but the northern part of Kapoho Beach Lots."

lavaflow.jpg

• Like 1

The collapse of the central crater is evident in this video.

The debris falling into the crater risks the possibility that the vent will become clogged and result in an explosion. That hasn't occurred as yet.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/multimedia_uploads/multimediaFile-2189.gif

Had some trouble getting this to run but it's a great image of the current crater.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/multimedia_uploads/multimediaFile-2189.gif

• Like 1

5.4 earthquake at a depth of 1.1 mi. struck the summit sending ash 10,000' into the air. Scientists say another eruption is imminent.

Kiluea Volcano Summit

Seismic activity at the summit was subdued overnight -- a natural consequence of yesterday afternoon's small explosion. Earthquake activity is on the rise, however, and we anticipate an additional small explosion probably in about 24 hours. Inward slumping of the rim and walls of Halema`uma`u continues in response to ongoing subsidence of the summit.

Over the last week, sulfur dioxide emissions from the volcano's summit have decreased, but emission rates remain high enough to impact air quality in downwind regions. Additional bursts of gas released with intermittent explosive activity are also transported downwind and may temporarily affect air quality as well.

Kīlauea Volcano Lower East Rift Zone

Vigorous eruption of lava continues from the lower East Rift Zone (LERZ) fissure system in the area of Leilani Estates.

Overnight, lava fountaining at Fissure 8 fluctuated, reaching heights of 230 feet. This activity is feeding a lava channel flowing east to the Kapoho Bay area. Observations by HVO geologists and the University of Hawaii at Hilo UAS crew during the night indicated that the northern lobe of the Fissure 8 flow is not receiving significant lava, and the lobe that was active on the west side of the Four Corners cinder pit is inactive. The morning overflight confirmed these observations and revealed minor overflows from the channel. Lava is entering the ocean along a broad front in the general area of Kapoho Bay and Vacationland. Lava also continues to creep north through what remains of Kapoho Beach Lots.

• Like 1

Map of Kiluea Quakes. Pretty active along that rift zone. Darker red/larger quakes are Vent 8.

IMG_3207.PNG

5.3 Quake in the Caldera this morning. 1.1 deep.

Yesterday saw a 5.2 at 1.0 deep.

5.4 at 1.0 deep on 6-7

This is repeating the previous pattern prior to a major eruption and increase of lava flow. We'll see.

Kiluea remain a dangerous volcano. Land building is a messy business.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/#%7B%22autoUpdate%22%3A%5B%22autoUpdate%22%5D%2C%22basemap%22%3A%22grayscale%22%2C%22feed%22%3A%2230day_m45%22%2C%22listFormat%22%3A%22default%22%2C%22mapposition%22%3A%5B%5B19.35390658527471%2C-155.3514862060547%5D%2C%5B19.454614999341054%2C-155.2306365966797%5D%5D%2C%22overlays%22%3A%5B%22plates%22%5D%2C%22restrictListToMap%22%3A%5B%22restrictListToMap%22%5D%2C%22search%22%3Anull%2C%22sort%22%3A%22newest%22%2C%22timezone%22%3A%22utc%22%2C%22viewModes%22%3A%5B%22map%22%2C%22settings%22%5D%2C%22event%22%3A%22us1000ej12%22%7D

Gonna be pretty bumpy on Hawaii for a good while it seems. If there is a massive explosion, it would be pretty devastating.

Kīlauea Volcano Lower East Rift Zone

Vigorous eruption of lava continues from the lower East Rift Zone (LERZ) fissure system in the area of Leilani Estates.

Overnight, lava fountaining from Fissure 8 reached 130-180 feet. This morning's overflight reported no significant changes in the fountaining and the channels carrying lava to the ocean; however, the ocean entry plumes were much smaller and the areas of upwelling offshore were less distinct. The diminished plumes are probably due to a change in atmospheric conditions rather than a change in Fissure 8 output.

Fissure 22 was incandescent and there was minor lava activity at Fissures 16/18 this morning while the fuming from Fissures 24, 9 and 10 was less than observed yesterday.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/status.html

From my understanding any explosive eruption will be due to the collapse within the Caldera and it becoming clogged. So the vent would build up enough pressure to essentially clear its throat. As the area is evacuated, people should be safe. To date 600 homes and farms have been destroyed.

So far I haven't read of anyone of expertise saying when they thought the eruption would settle down. Some said in the beginning it would last 4-6 weeks, based on history.

5-10-18 USGS. Hawaii Volcano Observation

Overnight, lava fountains from Fissure 8 reached heights of 130-180 feet, feeding a strong channel to the northeast and then east that experienced minor small levee overflows. Near the Four Corners region the channel was incandescent and flowing. Yesterday's measurements show that gas emissions have nearly doubled, possibly indicating an increase in eruption rate from Fissure 8. The morning overflight revealed that the fountains and channels continue to erupt and transport lava to the ocean entry which was one large plume. Offshore of this ocean entry, there is an upwelling of ocean water heated by lava flowing on the ocean floor.

Minor lava activity at Fissures 16/18 continued.

Fissure 8

Fissure 8 continues to erupt vigorously, with lava streaming through a channel that reaches the ocean at Kapoho Bay. The width of the active part of the lava channel varies along its length, but ranges from about 100 to 300 meters (yards) wide. A clear view of the cinder-and-spatter cone that's building around the vent from ongoing lava fountains can be seen here.

Fissure 8 longview.png

Fissure 8.jpg

Green Lake, the largest freshwater lake on Hawaii's Big Island, has completely disappeared, another victim of the Kilauea volcano, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Lava from Fissure 8 begin pouring into the lake on June 2, turning it into a roiling cauldron. A thick, white plume of water vapor billowed hundreds of feet over the lake. It took only an hour and half for the molten rock to evaporate the entire body of water, which was about 200 feet deep.

Hawaii County Civil Defense report above.

Fissure 8 is flowing like a river. Amazing volume moving into Kapoho Bay.

There was a sizable steam explosion this morning at the caldera.

Air quality is dangerous around the entry into the ocean. 

No indications of slowing down for now. Quite an opportunity to observe island building.

This guy comes up with some interesting finds.  He can be a little extreme, but this is a good catch.

He jumps around but its an interesting find by the USGS.

There may be a deep (500'+) vent active a quarter mile off shore from Fissure 8.

• Like 1

It's amazing meteorologists as the steam is creating winter weather above 12,000 ft. On the Big Island
This is the largest eruption recorded and it continues to create surprises.

Mysterious freezing rain STUNS scientists after lava explosion
with Video

The Hawaii volcano eruption has triggered a shock event that has left experts baffled, with one meteorologist admitting he has "never seen this before," after the explosive lava caused a winter freeze blast.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/971913/Hawaii-volcano-eruption-freezing-rain-Kilauea

• Like 1

I listened to one scientist today wonder if Kiluea's magma Chamber is actually a plume directly down to the mantle? Think of it. The volcano has been erupting at some level for like 35 yrs. it may never be proven, but it's an interesting question.

I listened to one scientist today wonder if Kiluea's magma Chamber is actually a plume directly down to the mantle? Think of it. The volcano has been erupting at some level for like 35 yrs. it may never be proven, but it's an interesting question.

I half wonder this myself. Either way, quite an event.

Little change to date. Lava continues to flow into the sea and gas emissions high.

Lava flow hits 45 days. Massive lava river.

Hawaii Army National Guard took video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_UlXOptsdJw&time_continue=8

The eruption in the lower East Rift Zone (LERZ) continues with little change.

Lava fountains from the Fissure 8 spatter cone continue to feed the established channel that transports lava to the ocean at the Kapoho coastline. One main ocean entry on the south edge of the flow front at the coast is producing a laze plume that is being blown onshore. No overflows from the channel were observed this morning. Fissure 6 was weakly active overnight with at least one short flow active visible in the PGcam. Fissure 16/18 and 22 displayed some incandescence early this morning.

Kīlauea Volcano Summit

Seismicity at the summit increased overnight with 30 to 35 events per hour by daybreak. Several earthquakes were felt in the Volcano area. Inward slumping of the rim and walls of Halemaʻumaʻu continues in response to ongoing subsidence at the summit.

Sulfur dioxide emissions from the volcano's summit have dropped to levels that are about half those measured prior to the onset of the current episode of eruptive activity. This gas and minor amounts of ash are being transported downwind, with small bursts of ash and gas accompanying intermittent explosive activity.

USGS.