Kilauea Major Major 2018 Eruption

I've been noticing from the lava flow map the flow entry into the ocean keeps moving south.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_maps.html

Taking more and more homes with it on its journey.

Today marks 7 weeks since lava broke through in Leilani Estates. 

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

This has been a big one for time and for volume. Fissure 8 has really been pumping out the lava.

The fact that Kapoho Bay is no more is reason enough to put this one in the record books.

But I do wonder what the Caldera has in store. If the magma volume drops below the water table, we could still see some real trouble.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

This has been a big one for time and for volume. Fissure 8 has really been pumping out the lava.

The fact that Kapoho Bay is no more is reason enough to put this one in the record books.

But I do wonder what the Caldera has in store. If the magma volume drops below the water table, we could still see some real trouble.

Doesn't show many signs of letting up yet. I still half wonder if there's not a lot more substance to this eruption that they thought. Clearly above average already.

The eruption in the lower East Rift Zone (LERZ) continues with no significant change during the past 24 hours.

Fountains from Fissure 8 spatter cone continue to supply lava to the open channel with only small, short-lived overflows. During an overflight early this morning, geologists observed incandescence from Fissure 22, but no associated spattering or flow. Lava is entering the sea this morning on the southern side of the entry area primarily through the open channel, but also along a 1-kilometer (0.6 mi) wide area. The entry areas are marked by billowing laze plumes.

USGS HVO

Lava flowing out a part of the Kilauea volcano in Hawaii is creating rapids as it joins a larger river of lava.

A video published by the United States Geological Survey shows lava leaving a vent, traveling at about 15 miles per hour and traveling over "cascades" or "rapids."

The video was taken on Sunday at the 8th of 24 fissures, which is located in the lower east rift zone near Leilani Estates.

Rapids aren't the only jarring result of the eruption, which has lasted longer than a month.

Lava "bergs" as big as vehicles have been reported, according to Hawaii News Now.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/06/22/hawaii-volcano-lava-rivers-rapids/724375002/

IMG_3244.PNG

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

I'm not sure I understand all the religious comments in the comment section, but there's some interesting observations here. The Hilina Slump has moved about 2' during this eruption.

The Hilina Slump hasn't broken off in 110,000 yrs. So it's anyone's guess when it will. But conditions are worse than the 1924 eruption and many people can't get a straight answer from the USGS.

It's possible, they're just operating a day at a time, by the seat of their pants.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BT7fZjoHHVM

It's the gift that just keeps on keepin' on.

Kīlauea Volcano Lower East Rift Zone

The eruption in the lower East Rift Zone (LERZ) continues with no significant change during the past 24 hours.

Fountains from Fissure 8 spatter cone continue to supply lava to the open channel with only small, short-lived overflows. Small overflows on both sides of the upslope portion of the channel occurred shortly after midnight, June 27. None of these overflows extended past the existing flow field. The spatter cone is now 180 ft tall at its highest point, and fountains only occasionally rise above that point. Lava is entering the sea this morning on the southern side of the entry area primarily through the open channel, but also along a 1-kilometer (0.6 mi) wide area. The morning overflight revealed that the northern margin of the flow field at the coast is oozing fresh lava at several points in the area of Kapoho Beach Lots.

USGS HVO

I haven't read any disaster scenarios. Who knows what these will do.

It may just keep pumping out lava until the chamber is relieved. It always amazes me when these things come to life and pour out new land.

I'm waiting for someone with real geo-phys expertise to weigh in on the Hilina Slump. It's slipped 2 feet. I'd like to know what they think in terms of how this has weakened the rift and added weight on to the Slump. Quakes add to the activity, so it's probably keeping people busy right now.

No dramatic changes to report, but Kiluea is the gift that just keeps giving.

Here is a graph of a week's earthquakes and an image of the rift zone with Fissure 8 still cooking.

Note how active the rift is along the Hilina Slump.

Click here for a gorgeous short night aerial video of the lava flow. Stunning images of living rock.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/multimedia_uploads/multimediaFile-2337.mp4

IMG_3265.PNG

IMG_3266.JPG

USGS HVO

Nice blog post by Erik Klemetti. Puts the Kiluea into perspective.
While certainly not the biggest or longest eruption, it's quite big for Kiluea and anyone living nearby.
Volcano nerds are enjoying the learning experience as well.

https://t.co/U5I8VEiHbi?ssr=true

The cinder cone of fissure 8 is now at 160'.  Some have been known to reach over 200'.

Fissure 22 is showing some flow now as well. 

• Like 1

It's been a week and little change. Quite an extraordinary eruption. Scientists are likely in heaven studying this one.

KILAUEA VOLCANO (VNUM #332010)

19°25'16" N 155°17'13" W, Summit Elevation 4091 ft (1247 m)

Current Volcano Alert Level: WARNING

Current Aviation Color Code: ORANGE

Fountains from Fissure 8 spatter cone continue to supply lava to the open channel with only small, short-lived overflows. The spatter cone is now about 55 m (180 ft) tall at its highest point, and fountains rarely rise above that point. As shown by the July 06 thermal map of the flow field, the main lava channel no longer directly enters the ocean—the open channel flow ends about 2 km (1.2 mi) inland of the coast. Lava continues to enter the ocean, however, from multiple points along the entire ocean entry area, primarily along the northern section. In addition, multiple ooze-outs fed flows on the north and the southwest edge of the main 'a'ā flow field but neither had lava actively entering the ocean.

Fissure 22 was weakly spattering overnight.

USGS HVO

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/hawaii/kilauea/current-activity.html

Lengthy article beginning June 29 on the eruption. But many photos, graphs and information.

The info. on the slumping of the Caldera is very interesting.

Lots of changes with this eruption and I'm sure it will be analyzed for a long time.

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3274.JPG

• Like 1

The 2018 eruption of Kiluea hit 2 months today. USGS scientists say they can't see any end in sight as of today.

The Caldera continues to collapse periodically and experiences earthquakes daily from the 2's to 5.0.

Fissure 8 has added 550 new acres to the big island as of today. The lava flow from Fissure 8 has reached 15 mph at times and a few overspills occur when lava boulders dislodge and temporarily block the flow. The edge of the new lava field is dificult to analyze due to the laze that blocks the view where the lava enters the ocean.

IMG_3279.JPG

New coastline off of vacationland

As of today 4.2% of the Island of Hawaii is covered with active lava.

The new lava field sticks out into the ocean 1 mile.

Here is a link for live data and images.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIEnMyl-6Qo

Other current images

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_webcams.html

• Like 1

There was a large explosion on the summit early this morning equal to a 5.3 quake.

Lava flow picked up temporarily with some overflow, then returned to its channel.

Scientists are expecting another explosion as the summit collapses.

They continue to have no idea when the flow from Fissure 8 will slow. While all eruptions of Kiluea have changed the map to one degree or another, this one has exceeded 1924 and may prove to be the most significant in modern history.

What amazes me personally is the volume of lava that has been evacuating the magma Chamber.

While Kiluea has been erupting we have seen the Galapagos, Krakatau, Shiveluch, Fuego, and Nishinoshima all erupt on the Ring of Fire.

Entirely possible Fred.

It's amazing it is occurring however. I have read comments that it may be more connected to the quiet sun.

Not being a solar scientist I can't say, but I've been catching comments throughout this eruption that the sun is in the equation.

Id be interested in someone with solar expertise weighing in.

Current flow map as of July 16, 2018

Note the red area on the flow which it the current direction of the flow.

Fissure 18 flow continues. Other smaller fissures have periods of activity and quieting.

IMG_3284.JPG

The lava flow entry is creeping closer and closer to Pohoiki. The only harbor and boat launch in the area is located there. 

Last I heard almost 750 homes have been lost and that's not including other buildings belonging to businesses.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Lava plume entry point hasn't changed too much since Tuesday. 

image-515.jpg

image-517.jpg

• Like 2

Mercer Island, 350 ft

On Saturday July 21st, Kilauea seems to settled in for the duration

Fissure 8 continues to erupt lava into the channel leading northeastward from the vent. Overnight UAV flights were grounded due to weather. The most vigorous ocean entry is located a few hundred meters northeast of the southern flow margin with a few tiny pahoehoe toes were entering the ocean from the Kapoho Bay lobe to the north. The southern margin of the flow remains about 500 m (0.3 mi) from the boat ramp at Isaac Hale Park.

No other fissures are active this morning.

USGS HVO

Video shows lava engulfing road as experts say eruption could last 'YEARS'

Yes, years.

5.2 Quake measured with crater collapse.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/992310/Hawaii-volcano-update-latest-news-Kilauea-video-lava

The fast moving lava has already added about 1.25 square miles to the island.

• 2 weeks later...

Kiluea seems to in it for the long haul.

Fissure 8 continues to erupt lava into the channel leading northeastward from the vent. No overflows were reported this morning and lava levels in the more distant portions of the channel system appear low. At the coast, the south edge of the lava flow has not advanced westward in the past day, and remains less than 175 m (0.1 mi) from the Pohoiki boat ramp in Isaac Hale Park. Lava is actively entering the ocean along a broad 2 km (1.2 mi) flow front centered near the former Ahalanui Beach Park.

No other fissures are active this morning.

Yesterday afternoon, a brush fire started near the PGV access road at the south edge of the fissure 8 channel that burned much of the vegetation around the road as well as the west side of Pu`u Honua`ula. The fire also damaged one of our telemetry hubs that relayed data from several geophysical instruments in the area as well as the PGcam. We will try to get this repaired as soon as possible but the public should be aware that these operations may not be restored for some time.

What's worse than 1 disaster? ...2

Hurricane Hector is on course to strike Hawaii. It's 1300 miles away and could change course, but reall, this is over the top.

Meanwhile Fissure 8 has slowed down in its volume output. And quakes have lessened for now.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hurricane-hector-could-worsen-problems-194500834.html

Major Hurricane Hector may track close enough to unleash rain, gusty winds and swells in Hawaii later this week

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/hurricane-hector-may-track-close-enough-to-hawaii-to-bring-some-effects-next-week/70005680

IMG_3300.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone's holding their breath........

Kīlauea summit and lower East Rift Zone

"The lull in activity at Kīlauea Volcano continues. No summit collapse events have occurred since August 2, and, with the exception of a small, crusted-over pond of lava deep inside the fissure 8 cone and a few scattered ocean entries, lava stopped flowing in the lower East Rift Zone (LERZ) on August 6. Sulfur dioxide emission rates at both the summit and LERZ are drastically reduced; the combined rate is lower than at any time since late 2007.

Earthquake and deformation data show no net accumulation, withdrawal, or significant movement of subsurface magma or pressurization as would be expected if the system was building toward a resumption of activity.

It is too soon to tell if this change represents a temporary lull or the end of the LERZ eruption and/or summit collapse activity. In 1955, similar pauses of 5 and 16 days occurred during an 88-day-long LERZ eruption. During the Mauna Ulu eruption (1969-1974), a 3.5 month pause occurred in late 1971."

USGS HVO

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kīlauea summit and lower East Rift Zone

( note Tiltmeters)

On Kīlauea Volcano's lower East Rift Zone (LERZ), no incandescence was visible at fissure 8 from helicopter overflight or UAS (drone) views this morning. Small lava flows have been observed within the fissure 8 cone, however none extend outside the walls of the cone. There is no change in overall activity from observations over the past several days.

Seismicity and ground deformation remain low at the summit of Kīlauea Volcano. Earthquake activity continues on faults located on Kīlauea's South Flank; these are aftershocks of the magnitude-6.9 earthquake in early May.

Tiltmeters in Kīlauea's middle East Rift Zone are recording small amounts of inflationary tilt, which may be a sign of refilling of the rift zone. The current rates are much smaller than those measured during the period of major eruptive activity and are not changing rapidly.

Sulfur dioxide emission rates at the summit, Puʻu ʻŌʻō, and LERZ are drastically reduced; the combined rate (

IMG_3347.JPG

My guess is we'll see a large increase in seismic activity worldwide. Very not good.

Hey, you were right. Ring of Fire, quite busy this late summer.

• Like 1

Could get very weird then.

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

This is a good general video (5 mins) that summarizes the first half of the eruption.

It briefly demonstrates the opening of the 20 fissures that ravaged the eastern rift zone and homes.

Below is a good map of the fault zone surrounding the volcano. It's amazing that the area has been even okay' for building homes. It remains to be seen if this eruption is over. Activity continues alone the rift zone with Fissure 8 continuing to push lava to the surface, though it is a calm and small flow.

IMG_3349.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Kiluea is currently at a Yellow Alert Status.

It has been 30 days since lava has been active at the surface of Kīlauea Volcano. HVO monitoring shows low rates of seismicity, steady, relatively low rates of deformation across the volcano, and only minor gas emission at the summit and East Rift Zone (ERZ). These observations indicate that resumption of eruption or summit collapse is unlikely in the near-term.

USGS HVO