June 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

GEFS are trending towards great bonfire weather by Sun thru early next week as a Canadian HP settles across the GL's.  Models seem to be trending cooler for Week 2.  Nice trend to dry out and enjoy some cooler weather around these parts.  Last week of June looking like ideal summer conditions and no heat in sight.

gfs-ens_T2ma_us_28.png

• Like 1

My extended looks less humid from what I saw from TWC. Refreshing air from Canada looks to hang out all of this week. :D

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Some of the heavier cells missed me, but I managed a decent 0.54" overnight.  The euro has another 4 inches falling here through Friday, with double that in a few spots in central/western Iowa.  If it pans out, Thursday looks to be the big day as the upper lows crawls through Iowa.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I had an additional 2.22" of rain overnight so that makes 4.27" of rain since yesterday afternoon. Looks like a break most of the day before the next heavy wave comes tonight and tomorrow. Could see those totals doubled.

Some flooding in west Omaha near Elkhorn.

I saw the PW from the ovenight sounding was 2.16" which is believed to be a record for the date. Normally you get all this rain and it clears out the atmosphere. Not this morning, the air is still THICK with moisture so storms will be very efficient with heavy rainfall.

• Like 1

I had an additional 2.22" of rain overnight so that makes 4.27" of rain since yesterday afternoon. Looks like a break most of the day before the next heavy wave comes tonight and tomorrow. Could see those totals doubled.

Some flooding in west Omaha near Elkhorn.

I saw the PW from the ovenight sounding was 2.16" which is believed to be a record for the date. Normally you get all this rain and it clears out the atmosphere. Not this morning, the air is still THICK with moisture so storms will be very efficient with heavy rainfall.

Wow your area got pummeled with rain, not as much on the southwest side of Omaha where I live, just under two inches between yesterday and today so far.

The storms that rolled in last night around midnight were some of the most energetic and electric thunderstorms I have seen in quite a while. We had nearly a dozen close lightning strikes in a 5 minute timeframe, I was just waiting for one to hit our house. Ridiculous amount of thunder and lightning, and picked up over an inch of rain in 20-25 minutes... quite a storm.

Looks like a nice break for the CWS today as well, they have three games scheduled and it looks like they should get in at least two... if storms fire earlier than expected this afternoon/evening, the event schedule is going to be a mess.

• Like 2

0.0 here. Been missed from every direction. We really need this rain to materialize tonight. Had several days of 80% chances turn into nothing. Flood watches around me, but NWS Hastings says other areas not included because they are so dry and could take a lot of rain. That is so true.

Same here man, I have nothing for rain and was missed in all directions last night. Hopefully we get a nice soaking for the rest of us who missed out last night....

Been getting some scattered showers for the past hour or so. I picked up about 1.2 inches since last night. Seems like HRRR is showing the storms out in central Iowa moving in here this afternoon and could bring some more heavy rainfall here. 

My extended looks less humid from what I saw from TWC. Refreshing air from Canada looks to hang out all of this week. :D

:) Yep, and not. a. drop. of rain in mby. Perfect outcome now that my basement is dry again.

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Been getting some scattered showers for the past hour or so. I picked up about 1.2 inches since last night. Seems like HRRR is showing the storms out in central Iowa moving in here this afternoon and could bring some more heavy rainfall here. 

The latest batch of rain hit me perfectly, dropping 0.75".  My 24 hr total is now 1.29".  I'd like to see another couple inches through Friday.

The current storms are moving out of the area.  The HRRR and HRRR upgrade are showing nothing else until tomorrow.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Okay, now it's 90% sun. Yeah, we'll shatter the cap. Thinking we're looking at a damaging wind and large hail threat with a nonexistent tornado threat. I don't care as much about the severe weather as I do the rain, though. As long as we get at least an inch of rain I'm a happy camper. I'm thinking OAX will issue a flash flood watch as they tend to issue those as a kneejerk reaction.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Hope you score big brudda! The cap always screws Lincoln so that’s awesome you guys are gunna break it. Smell a flood of May 2015 coming??

Nah. The bigger totals will come in a thin band of 5" amounts. If Lincoln gets lucky enough to get those 5" amounts, then yes it may be possible that we see another 2015 scenario.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Nah. The bigger totals will come in a thin band of 5" amounts. If Lincoln gets lucky enough to get those 5" amounts, then yes it may be possible that we see another 2015 scenario.

For sure. That storm in 2015 was insane, west side of LNK got 8-10” that one night I think which is almost impossible to top. Anyways, that storm to your SW just went severe, so if you get any good pics you should post em! I miss storms in the plains already :(

EDIT: this is probably just my shiddy radar, but is that a hook echo?!

A78CDE30-34D1-4F09-A321-E8F718CF1BD5.png

Looks like this first cluster of storms will indeed just miss us to the northwest again, surprise surprise. Have to hope the storms in Western Kansas keep blossoming as they move north. First shower give me .02 of an inch. Whoa!

Heck of a hook echo and Tornado warning just to your Southwest. Wont have to go far to chase that!

Severe cell headed towards here. Therefore it will weaken to nothing or suddenly turn before getting here.

Lol freakin' called it. It went from a Northeasterly direction to a straight Easterly direction. The dome is staying in effect.

:) Yep, and not. a. drop. of rain in mby. Perfect outcome now that my basement is dry again.

Glad that your basement is dry. :D

• Like 1

Comfortable afternoon IMBY w sun and clouds and temps in the 70s. Not too shabby for this time of the year.

• Like 1

Yet another cell is turning and moving away from me. Western and Northern parts of Lincoln (aka areas that got the cell yesterday) will see heavy rain but ill be lucky if I get moderate rain here. This sucks. For how hyped today was I expected more than 2 minutes of heavy rain.

• Like 1

Not much going on around the Omaha metro right now weather-wise. Just some light rain and a few rumbles of thunder. Another game in the College World Series fell victim to the weather tonight, as the NCAA postponed tonight's game to tomorrow morning at 11am. 

Looks like a lot of rain is heading our way, even though right now all the action is to our south and west. Going to be interesting to see how the area streams and rivers handle the 1 to 3 inches of rain that is predicted overnight. 

CentralnebWx, the tornado warned storm had a confirmed funnel cloud near Wilcox. Did you see anything?! Like Gabel said, that thing had a well pronounced hook to it.

That is about 10 miles southeast of me. A few pictures on Twitter show some rotation but nothing confirmed as I search for more information. I was actually put in a Tornado Warning but nothing was too close and our town’s sirens never went off. I got 1.50 of rain from that storm, had a break, now new batches of storms moving back in. Just looks like some heavy rain. Very appreciative of the rainfall and I know that local agricultural would call this a multimillion dollar rain as they will be able to turn off irrigation systems for awhile.

My county, Phelps, has just been placed in a Flash Flood Warning until 3:30 AM. Not sure it is warranted for all locations. My house is a little over 2 inches as of 9:40 pm, but western parts of the county look like they are over 5” There is more rain coming, but with our dryness of late, it might mitigate some issues that might have occurred if the soil was already saturated imo.

My county, Phelps, has just been placed in a Flash Flood Warning until 3:30 AM. Not sure it is warranted for all locations. My house is a little over 2 inches as of 9:40 pm, but western parts of the county look like they are over 5” There is more rain coming, but with our dryness of late, it might mitigate some issues that might have occurred if the soil was already saturated imo.

That line coming towards you looks pretty nice. Should pick up a couple inches out of that with how slow it's moving.

That line coming towards you looks pretty nice. Should pick up a couple inches out of that with how slow it's moving.

Just had the heaviest rain of the spring/summer come through. Looked like a hurricane. Will post rain totals in the morning, but radar estimates are 3-6” in the county right now, highest in the western part and rain continues. I average 25” of precipitation a year, this could possibly give us 20% of our yearly rainfall if we reach 5 inches here by morning. The unpredictability of weather is fascinating.

• Like 1

Fairbury man. First they got under every snow squall last Winter and now they're at 6" of rain from this system. Even more to their West with isolated 8" amounts. Not good to travel in but definitely helps the drought down there.