June 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

While some areas have received a lot of rain the past few days here in the Grand Rapids MI that has not been the case. In the last 10 days GRR has only recorded 0.3" of rain and here at my house it has been even less at just 0.19". Today it is cloudy and cool with the current temperature here at my house of only 67°

Received 2.3” last night pushing my June rain total to 4.4”. You wouldn’t think it by looking at the lawns as the heat wave we had before this storm rolled through browned up the grass. I’m glad I didn’t see the flooding rains and this was much needed!

• Like 1

Received 2.3” last night pushing my June rain total to 4.4”. You wouldn’t think it by looking at the lawns as the heat wave we had before this storm rolled through browned up the grass. I’m glad I didn’t see the flooding rains and this was much needed!

Amazing what a rain can do. You can water all you want with sprinklers, but it just quite do the trick. Standing water at the ends of fields as I was just driving around. Our city lake is so high they are having to pump water out of it. Been awhile since I could say that.

• Like 3

We got heavy rain, too, but only 0.80" here because every one of those initial slow-moving cells in the Cedar Rapids area missed me.  The north and east sides got those cells, so they doubled my total.

The morning cells mostly skipped over me, so my daily total is 0.90".

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

We got heavy rain, too, but only 0.80" here because every one of those initial slow-moving cells in the Cedar Rapids area missed me. The north and east sides got those cells, so they doubled my total.

The morning cells mostly skipped over me, so my daily total is 0.90".

Yes those cells were very intense and those dropped about 0.8 here before the big round moved in. I’m now at 2.15 inches since 3:15PM. Light to moderate rain is still falling. More storms are forming to the southwest and could move in to the Cedar Rapids area this evening.

My afternoon/evening rainfall total is 0.92".... total for day 1.02".

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Another storm just moved through the Cedar Rapids area. I picked up another 0.33 inches from the storm. This brings my total since 3:15PM to 2.65 inches. 

HRRR suggests rain should become more widespread tonight and rotate across the area tomorrow. 

We welcome the Summer Solstice with an unusual spinning ULL across the MW.  Flash Flood Watches hoisted for N IL where up to 4" of rain may fall.  Higher Rez models painting 4"+ IMBY.  It's going to be a wet and dreary couple of days around here.

namconus_apcpn_ncus_28.png

nam3km_apcpn_ncus_20.png

One of the unusual items this year (and in the last 3 years) is the lack of thunderstorms and of course the lack of severe weather. The Grand Rapids National Weather Service has issued only 10 warnings total in 2018.  The G.R. Office covers 23 counties from Mason Co. down to Van Buren Co. east to Clare Co. and Jackson Co.  That is almost one third of lower Michigan. Here in Kent county’s 872 square miles there has only been one report of any severe weather events and that was of a tree limb falling. I think I have only seen lightning on two night this year and there were not that many last year either. I work at for a local minor league baseball team and during all of last season and the first half of this season there has not been one game that I have seen lightning or thunder remember that is 72 days last year (we played 2 home playoff games last year) and around 35 dates this year. On top of that we had 1 concert this year and 3 last year and last year there was 3 soccer games and 3 high school football games. That is a lot of days without seeing any lighting. In working there for the past 12 years I do not recall any period that long with out that happing. Of course this year we had 7 games postponed and 3 of those were because of snow.

Rain coming w t'stms on Friday into Saturday for mby. We need a good soaking here.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

JMA Weeklies are coming in Hot for the 4th of July weekend and other long range guidance is suggesting this period to be a warm one as well. Take a look at the mean ridge over the GL's Week 2 which would suggest a very warm pattern to open July.  Is this the last "real" heat wave of the season for those near the GL's???  I think it's on the table, esp if I consider how the evolution of this summer was supposed to be...hot start and a trend towards a cooler mid/late July.  If you are to believe the JMA Weeklies, the second half of July isn't all to warm and widespread average temps overall with lots of precip chances.

Week 2 temps...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R07_2/Y201806.D2012_gl2.png

Week 3-4 temps...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R14_3/Y201806.D2012_gl2.png

Another storm just moved through the Cedar Rapids area. I picked up another 0.33 inches from the storm. This brings my total since 3:15PM to 2.65 inches. 

HRRR suggests rain should become more widespread tonight and rotate across the area tomorrow. 

I also picked up another 0.31".

The models are now suggesting Cedar Rapids may remain dry all day as one band of rain sets up from northern Illinois to northeast Iowa and another along I-80 from the QC to Iowa City.

A few days ago, models had Wednesday dry, with Thursday/Friday being the big rain.  The inverse happened.

I picked up another 0.51 inches of rain last night. This brings my total since yesterday afternoon to 3.16 inches. Now waiting for today's rain.

Jeez, you live about 3 miles away from me and you got nearly 2 inches more than I did.

Just in the last hour, more cells popped up and dropped another 0.30" on the east and north sides of CR, and now the main show is hitting North Liberty to the CR aiport hard.  Radar suggests it will get no farther north, so it appears I will see nothing today.  I've had good rain this month, but more often than not I'm getting less than other parts of the metro area.

Jeez, you live about 3 miles away from me and you got nearly 2 inches more than I did.

Just in the last hour, more cells popped up and dropped another 0.30" on the east and north sides of CR, and now the main show is hitting North Liberty to the CR aiport hard.  Radar suggests it will get no farther north, so it appears I will see nothing today.  I've had good rain this month, but more often than not I'm getting less than other parts of the metro area.

HRRR still suggests it may fill in and so we may get more rain today. I got another 0.04 from a brief downpour. Now at 3.20 inches since yesterday.

Torrential flooding rain happening in my town of North Liberty.  Wow.  Streets are flooding.  Just a small band of rain is spinning into the area and barely moving.  I wish I had bought a new rain gauge.  

Really?  How can a weather geek not have a rain gauge?  I'd go crazy if I didn't know exactly how much I got every time it rained.

One station is up to 4 inches now in North Liberty.

Really?  How can a weather geek not have a rain gauge?  I'd go crazy if I didn't know exactly how much I got every time it rained.

One station is up to 4 inches now in North Liberty.

Looks like west side of CR is now under a thunderstorm.

Looks like west side of CR is now under a thunderstorm.

Yeah, a little kink in the line bumped north just enough to put a heavy downpour over me.  I picked up a quick 0.31".  It looks like that'll  be it.

I can't believe DVN has not issued a flash flood warning yet for part of Johnson county.  North Liberty has received 3 1/2 to 5 inches already and now the torrential rain is trying to drift back west into town.  Radar continues to show a fire hose pointed right at Johnson county.

I don't understand why this band of rain is so narrow, and is just barely missing CR. I am still hopeful that it can expand as it rotates. Most areas that the DVN issued the flash flood watch for have not even seen any rain today.