Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

A taste of Autumn here this morning with a temp of 60F, raw NE wind off the lake, periods of very heavy rainfall, flooded backyard (for the 4th or 5th time since April)...happy Friday!!!  This system has packed quite the punch and produced a variety of weather over the past few days for a lot of us on here.  I'm glad to hear that most of you across the I-80 corridor got much needed rainfall to green things up a bit where it was needed most out west.  I'd imagine the wetter soils will mitigate the potential for big time heat to build later next week into the long 4th of July holiday week.  

With that being said, I'm looking forward to a very long holiday week.  How many of you like the fact that the 4th of July falls on a Wednesday???  I actually don't mind it and makes it seem like we have 2 full weekends to enjoy an extended holiday vacation.

I just ran out to take the garbage out and my backyard, including my neighbors, looks like a huge pond.  This is the most water I've seen all season long that has pooled up from all the combined runoff.  Mosquito season is in high gear.

Cloudy and coolish w temps in the low 60s. 

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

I just ran out to take the garbage out and my backyard, including my neighbors, looks like a huge pond. This is the most water I've seen all season long that has pooled up from all the combined runoff. Mosquito season is in high gear.

The flooded backyards is getting real old. I would like to see how many precipitation events in total we’ve had since April, and of those, how many were over an inch. Seems like every time it rains, it’s been a deluge. Yesterday/today’s event obviously no different.

• Like 1

The flooded backyards is getting real old. I would like to see how many precipitation events in total we’ve had since April, and of those, how many were over an inch. Seems like every time it rains, it’s been a deluge. Yesterday/today’s event obviously no different.

I agree!  My pond continues to grow by the hour.  Non stop rain, embedded heavy downpours like you see from a tropical system.  I read on WGN that ORD has had a total of 6 significant rain events since April.

My mind always seems to find patterns and this one that I'm about to show you is about as inverse as you can find.  I just looked at the North American snow cover extent and compared it to the Eurasian snow cover extent.  North America is running at decadal highs, while Eurasia at decadal lows.

N.A.

multisensor_4km_na_snow_extent_by_year_g

Eurasia...

multisensor_4km_ea_snow_extent_by_year_g

Last year, N.A. was at decadal lows and vise versa, Eurasia was a decadal highs....with that in mind, what happened last Autumn across Eurasia was important.  Not one climate model saw the build up of brutal cold leading up to their harsh Winter.  On the other side of the globe, in North America, while Canada had been cold, the U.S. did not necessarily have the cold start to December, will this year be the polar opposite as nature is laying the ground work for something like we saw in 2013??

I agree!  My pond continues to grow by the hour.  Non stop rain, embedded heavy downpours like you see from a tropical system.  I read on WGN that ORD has had a total of 6 significant rain events since April.

While your areas are getting a lot of rain here in parts of Michigan there has not been much rain at all as it has stayed just to our south. Officially at GRR there has only been 0.31" of rain in the last 12 days and here at my house about 25 miles NW of the airport I have only received 0.22"

This has been a very cloudy June here in west Michigan. So far Grand Rapids has only had 48.2% of possible sunshine and today it is cloudy and the rest of the weekend looks very cloudy. In looking at some recent past cloudy June’s 2001, 1989 were the only June’s that had less that 50% sunshine. The cloudiest June in Grand Rapids was in 1982 with only 36% At the current time it is cloudy here and a cool 68°

It's still cloudy and cool here, but the rain is finally done.  I love heavy rain, but now the garden needs more warm, dry weather.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Here locally we have picked up close to 8 inches of rain this week! Looking forward to more storms and heavy rain this weekend.

That’s very impressive! The heaviest rains were very localized, I don’t even live that far from you and my rain gauge gave me a total of right around 2.75 inches for the event.

Not complaining at all, this was just what my yard and garden needed... and puts a huge dent into any potential drought conditions around here, plus the cool and cloudy June weather has been wonderful.

Still cloudy w intervals of sun and clouds, but more clouds and temps remain relatively cool w readings holding in the low 70s. Wet weather hopefully arrives tanite.

This has been a very cloudy June here in west Michigan. So far Grand Rapids has only had 48.2% of possible sunshine and today it is cloudy and the rest of the weekend looks very cloudy. In looking at some recent past cloudy June’s 2001, 1989 were the only June’s that had less that 50% sunshine. The cloudiest June in Grand Rapids was in 1982 with only 36% At the current time it is cloudy here and a cool 68°

The weather has been lovely here in SEMI.

This is why I don't miss my old home of Houston. Air temp is 91°F, dew point is 77°F, heat index is 105°F. That's disgusting. I'm going back there in a couple days and I am not excited.

UGH!

Some light rain currently. Temp @ 66F.

Boy, have things turned around for parts of KS as the drought continues to get beaten down.  Last night C KS received about 1-2" of rain from the line of storms that traversed the region.  Forecasts for Sun-Mon indicate a big ticket severe wx threat and widespread heavy rain.  I'm waiting for the updated NWS precip analysis graphics but I think by mid next week, there will be a lot of improvement across the drought regions of KS.

Nearly all the global and higher rez models are spitting out some impressive 2-3"+ totals...some places will come close to ending the drought across KS.  We still need to nature to work on those in MO and parts of IA/IL.

nam3km_apcpn_ncus_18.png

With that being said, this is how much is needed to put an end to the drought...

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/regional_monitoring/addpcp.gif

Just as I type this, the sun has finally made an appearance behind some mid-level clouds.  Looking forward to seeing more sunshine later in the afternoon and temps rising into the upper 70's.  Today, it's my brother-in laws 40th B Day party and the weather is clearing up just in time for outdoor festivities.  I love making a bonfire and sticking potatoes in the coals and roasting some good sausage on a stick over a fire.  Have a splendid day everyone!

• Like 2

I had a quick 1/2” last evening. Forecast for Sunday into Monday is several more inches. We will take all we can get as the extended is for hot and humid for many days starting Tuesday. With the moisture in the ground and corn growing taller by the day, the dew point should be very uncomfortable. Imo, this will feel worse than the previous heat wave. Nothing out of the ordinary, however, as July is usually hot and humid around here.

Just as I type this, the sun has finally made an appearance behind some mid-level clouds. Looking forward to seeing more sunshine later in the afternoon and temps rising into the upper 70's. Today, it's my brother-in laws 40th B Day party and the weather is clearing up just in time for outdoor festivities. I love making a bonfire and sticking potatoes in the coals and roasting some good sausage on a stick over a fire. Have a splendid day everyone!

Could you send some out this way? Boy that sounds good.

• Like 1

Today will be the 5 day in a row with pleasantly cool daytime temperatures. Since the quick break from our “heat wave” of last weekend the temperatures have only been in the 70’s during the day and still mild for the over night lows. Here in Grand Rapids despite all of the clouds there has not been much rain in the past 4 days as only 0.02” has fallen and for the past 13 days only 0.32” has fallen.

Could you send some out this way? Boy that sounds good.

Duuuude the weather here is friggin perfect right now. Bout to go for a run on the lakeshore and I can’t wait. I can’t remember having this great of weather in June back in Neb. Loving it!

• Like 1

Not much rain here overnight just 0.07″ Grand Rapids has had 10 days this month with less than 25% of possible sunshine. Broken down there have been 3 days with 0% 1 day with 5% 1 day with 10% 1 day with 16% 1 day with 17% 2 days with 20% and 1 day with 22% so far this June at Grand Rapids has only had just 45.7% of possible sunshine and at this time it is very cloudy here with a temperature of just 64°

Wowzers, if the models are right, it's going to get down right humid across the ag belt in the MW....I mean, low 80's DP's starting Thu???

gfs_Td2m_ncus_19.png

One of the reasons many Nebraskans head west for vacations. Look at those low dews in Western Nebraska, Wyoming, and Colorado. I am only 4 1/2 hours from Denver. We try to head to the mountains once a summer. Refreshing air for sure.

• Like 1

One of the reasons many Nebraskans head west for vacations. Look at those low dews in Western Nebraska, Wyoming, and Colorado. I am only 4 1/2 hours from Denver. We try to head to the mountains once a summer. Refreshing air for sure.

I love the mountains of CO with beauty of the peaks, forests, creeks and of course the snow in the winter months.  If I ever lived that close, I'd be there as much as possible.  Given the opportunity, I would already have a place near the ski resorts of CO.  Hope your able to head out there this summer and enjoy the fresh air.  Time to watch some World Cup soccer...Go Polska!