June Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Some nice thunderstorm action across NE Oklahoma this morning. Pretty typical stuff for this area. Would be legendary by PNW standards.

This was in Nebraska yesterday watching the live storm chaser feeds. He had some awesome vantage points. Quite a show but no official tornado while I was watching. I am just amazed at how the storm twist and circulates!

0261E531-AA11-4C5B-9206-BBAF18BEF982.jpeg

• Like 1

The 00Z GFS seems to have stopped the trend to the north and west with the ULL over the weekend.

The 00Z run is pretty much in line with the 12Z run.    That would make for a lovely weekend in the upper 70s to maybe the mid 80s in the Seattle area with plenty of sun and some mountain convection to the east for decoration.  

12Z GFS is just slightly to the south and east of its 00Z run with the ULL over the weekend.

I believe the trend north and west has stopped now on all the models... just barely leaving us a warm, sunny weekend with some rain east of the mountains.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12Z GFS is just slightly to the south and east of its 00Z run with the ULL over the weekend.

I believe the trend north and west has stopped now on all the models... just barely leaving us a warm, sunny weekend with some rain east of the mountains.

Baby steps.  Now maybe it will continue that south and east shift and weaken.  Maybe the incoming ridge will strengthen and assert itself over our area for longer than modeled.  I'm dreaming.

• Like 1

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

About 107 for Portland on the latest GFS sounding for 0z Wednesday!

gfs_T2m_nwus_35.png

• Like 3

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Euro looks about perfect. Never really moves the ULL east and out of the area. Then it eventually it drifts back over us and re-phases with the jet, which opens the door for another trough at day 10.

Still a few warm days (maybe low 90s next Wednesday or Thursday) but nothing too terrible.

Of course, all of this is sill subject to change with a ULL drifting around. But the trends continue to be good.

Euro looks about perfect. Never really moves the ULL east and out of the area. Then it eventually it drifts back over us and re-phases with the jet, which opens the door for another trough at day 10.

Still a few warm days (maybe low 90s next Wednesday or Thursday) but nothing too terrible.

Of course, all of this is sill subject to change with a ULL drifting around. But the trends continue to be good.

12Z ECMWF for PDX:

Sun - 81

Mon - 85

Tues - 90

Wed - 95

Thur - 87

I suspect that Tuesday and Wednesday will eventually be cooler as well... similar to what happened with Saturday - Monday.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Anne Murray was the steady Eddie genius on this.

Once again.   So many times when the GEM is doing its own thing it ends up right.

If it were up to Tim, every day would be 115*F with a dewpoint of -50*F. A little desert snow on Christmas to shake things up, then back to torching.

• Like 2

So perfect you didn’t even include it. ;)

I did not include Wed-Fri either. Thought the topic was on the extent of the heat.

The 00Z ECMWF had 75 at PDX for Saturday.

That could be said about any of the big three at some point. Seems to be a roll of the dice.

You just don't expect it from the GEM.

In a break from recent years, it looks like surface temperatures have finally cooperated with the upper levels. So many troughs in 2016 and 2017 were mysteriously warm at the surface, lol.

Over the last 2 weeks:

14dTDeptNWSWR.png

• Like 1

If it were up to Tim, every day would be 115*F with a dewpoint of -50*F. A little desert snow on Christmas to shake things up, then back to torching.

Every summer day would be sunny and between 75-85 with a dewpoint of 55 and 1 inch of rain every Wednesday night. ;)

In a break from recent years, it looks like surface temperatures have finally cooperated with the upper levels. So many troughs in 2016 and 2017 were mysteriously warm at the surface, lol.

Over the last 2 weeks:

14dTDeptNWSWR.png

Hot and dusty.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

That said, it should still be a (generally) warmer than average pattern from the third week of June into the second week of July. Or so I suspect. But it certainly doesn’t look like a blast furnace pattern anymore..and there should be breaks too, just like with the current troughy pattern.

I think the “heatwave” risk is limited to a couple of windows..the first from 6/19-6/25, and then the second from 7/5-7/12, with the first one focused more in northern regions like BC/WA, while the second one looks focused farther south, towards CA/OR.

Then uncertainty grows, as there could be an increase in EHEM/Indo-Pacific convection again, which might build an Aleutian ridge/western trough, and push the 4-corners high eastward into the plains.

Just imagine water world but with dead trees instead of water.

Red sand, palm trees, and cacti > lakes, snow-capped mountains, and beautiful, evergreen-blanketed hillsides.

Anyone who disagrees should move to Baffin Island or the Greenland ice sheet.

• Like 1

Every summer day would be sunny and between 75-85 with a dewpoint of 55 and 1 inch of rain every Wednesday night. ;)

I could go for that, actually.

But why Wednesday night? Why not Tuesday night or maybe Thursday morning?

I could go for that, actually.

But why Wednesday night? Why not Tuesday night or maybe Thursday morning?

Tuesday night is also a good option.