June Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Pleasant with the occasional light breeze. 59 in Springfield.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Thank god lol... you should know me enough by now, let it ride brother, let it ride!

Shhhh!! Don't mention Let it Ride. He lost a lot of money playing it one time and on that wet and rainy night, Tim's spirit was broken.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Stop taking that post out of context. I said **IF MODELS ARE CORRECT**. Which they weren’t.

That was based ECMWF meteograms for Seattle running out 10 days. I never predicted anything like that. The model solutions change quite a bit once out that far.

I hope you enjoy getting rained out on the 4th of July.

Two weeks of troughing coming, Tim. By the time it finishes up, it will be a month past the solstice. Days will be rapidly shortening. ;)

Then 2 weeks later it will be August, which will have troughy periods much like this month. Then the leaves will start turning, and summer will be history.

Then you have 9 months of rain to look forward to. Lol.

• Like 1

Petty!

And he’s taking it completely out of context as well.

I didn’t actually predict that. I was just reading the model output for Seattle, which ended up being incorrect.

MSU's long term average is 7.5/year. PDX's is 11.5. There you go. 

In addition, PDX has greater top end heat capability. Bozeman MSU has never measured temps over 100 degrees (1892 had some obviously wonky issues and can be thrown out).

I actually checked the numbers. The running 30 year average is about 13 days for MSU and 14 days for PDX. So yeah, virtually identical although PDX is higher. With the caveat that MSU has a higher average high in July and August and as soon as you venture literally a couple miles away from that station the 90+ numbers jump dramatically, whereas no such phenomenon exists around Portland.

So yeah, it's kinda silly to act like Portland really beats out Bozeman on heat. There are a large number of summers where it's actually quite noticeably hotter out in Montana.

Two weeks of troughing coming, Tim. By the time it finishes up, it will be a month past the solstice. Days will be rapidly shortening. ;)

Then 2 weeks later it will be August, which will have troughy periods much like this month. Then the leaves will start turning, and summer will be history.

Then you have 9 months of rain to look forward to. Lol.

And then we die!   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

And he’s taking it completely out of context as well.

I didn’t actually predict that. I was just reading the model output for Seattle, which ended up being incorrect.

Just saying it spoke volumes of your lack of local knowledge. I remember this pretty well and nothing on those runs had anything remotely close to showing a -10 depature over the course of 240 hours. It was sensational Phil at his best (worst).

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Stop taking that post out of context. I said **IF MODELS ARE CORRECT**. Which they weren’t.

That was based ECMWF meteograms for Seattle running out 10 days. I never predicted anything like that. The model solutions change quite a bit once out that far.

I hope you enjoy getting rained out on the 4th of July.

The models don't show rain for the 4th of July.    ;)

And if they do show rain... we will be on the sunny, warm side of the state anyways!  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Did I say scary?

I said it ironic that it meanders up there for days looking like nothing and then suddenly comes to life and springs into action on cue just in time for the 4th of July. It's sort of comical.

Who cares? The weather looks to remain pleasant and completely inconsequential.

Who cares? The weather looks to remain pleasant and completely inconsequential.

Easy down there... its always nice and never rains.   More complicated up here in the Seattle area.  

Just saying it spoke volumes of your lack of local knowledge. I remember this pretty well and nothing on those runs had anything remotely close to showing a -10 depature over the course of 240 hours. It was sensational Phil at his best (worst).

Well then you’re remembering it wrong, because I was reading right from the modeled surface temperature anomalies on WxBell. That much I remember clearly.

I never predicted it would happen. That would be silly.

Well then you’re remembering it wrong, because I was reading right from the modeled surface temperature anomalies on WxBell. That much I remember clearly.

I never predicted it would happen. That would be silly.

:lol:

Easy down there... its always nice and never rains.   More complicated up here in the Seattle area.  

SEA has had less rain this month than PDX or VUO.

OLM, BFI, TCM, and RNT are all under an inch as well. Renton is actually the driest spot at 0.48", after a May which featured less than a tenth of an inch there.

Even the "wet" stations like the NWS Office at Sandpoint and Everett's airport have had less than 2" of rain this month. So basically at their average.

The places where the majority of people actually live haven't had much to write home about in the rain department.

• Like 2

Easy down there... its always nice and never rains. More complicated up here in the Seattle area.

Living in a wet microclimate in the drizzle capital of the country = your choice. Don’t expect anyone to modify their wx-desires to appease your mildewy, rain-soaked psyche.

OLM, BFI, TCM, and RNT are all under an inch as well. Renton is actually the driest spot at 0.48", after a May which featured less than a tenth of an inch there.

Even the "wet" stations like the NWS Office at Sandpoint and Everett's airport have had less than 2" of rain this month. So basically at their average.

The places where the majority of people actually live haven't had much to write home about in the rain department.

TRUTH BOMB.

Much easier to get nice weather down there in marginal troughy situations than in the Seattle area... being farther north and in the c-zone being the reasons why of course.

Living in a wet microclimate in the drizzle capital of the country = your choice. Don’t expect anyone to modify their wx-desires to appease your mildewy, rain-soaked psyche.

And you apparently live in hell... by choice!

There are lots of us up here cheering for nice weather. Probably millions of us actually. ;)

Ambien.

And the nightly hot-box right? What kind of car(s) do you have?

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

And you apparently live in hell... by choice!

There are lots of us up here cheering for nice weather. Probably millions of us actually. ;)

All everyone I have talked to about the weather has said is how amazed they are that the wildfire season is already starting and how badly we need rain.

• Like 1

Much easier to get nice weather down there in marginal troughy situations than in the Seattle area... being farther north and in the c-zone being the reasons why of course.

Seattle, the biggest city in the region, is usually going to do just fine in those, hence their low rain numbers. They can't help the fact that some people choose to live in the foothills immediately down wind of the convergence zone.

• Like 1

All everyone I have talked to about the weather has said is how amazed they are that the wildfire season is already starting and how badly we need rain.

Anecdotal evidence!

No fires up here... way too wet.

And everyone I talked to about the weather up here says they want warmth and sun.   Nobody is talking about fires or wanting rain.  

Anecdotal evidence!

No fires up here... way too wet.

And everyone I talked to about the weather up here says they want warmth and sun. Nobody is talking about fires or wanting rain.

Already several fires burning in both Oregon and Washington. Just crazy to see start it so early.

You and moldman live in pretty wet microclimates.

And despite that it has even been a very dry month for you two as well.

3F4B1865-A9B8-469D-AAC5-C830597BF42C.png

• Like 1

Seattle, the biggest city in the region, is usually going to do just fine in those, hence their low rain numbers. They can't help the fact that some people choose to live in the foothills immediately down wind of the convergence zone.

No... there is big difference.   Portland is just nicer in troughy summer patterns overall.

This evening was good example.   The Seattle area was cloudy and a little windy with a c-zone signature while Portland was sunny and pleasant.

sat_6-25.png

We are talking from different perspectives.    

No... there is big difference.   Portland is just nicer in troughy summer patterns overall.

This evening was good example.   The Seattle area was very cloudy and a little windy with a c-zone signature while Portland was sunny and pleasant.

sat_6-25.png

We are talking from different perspectives.    

PDX's weather today: 72/59 with 0.02" of quick morning rain and partial cloudiness most of the day

SEA's weather today: 71/55 with 0.13" of quick morning rain and partial cloudiness most of the day

Pretty unremarkable differences. Foothill microclimates notwithstanding.

• Like 1

PDX's weather today: 72/59 with 0.02" of quick morning rain and partial cloudiness most of the day

SEA's weather today: 71/55 with 0.13" of quick morning rain and partial cloudiness most of the day

Pretty unremarkable differences.

I watch this all the time... there is a difference and its obviously reflected in the averages.   The c-zone is clearly the main culprit in the Central Sound because Vancouver Island is also very sunny.  

I would not even follow it that closely if I lived in Victoria or Portland because its almost always nice in the summer regardless of the pattern.

I watch this all the time... there is a difference and its obviously reflected in the averages. The c-zone is clearly the main culprit in the Central Sound because Vancouver Island is also very sunny.

I would not even follow it that closely if I lived in Victoria or Portland because its almost always nice in the summer regardless of the pattern.

The difference in sunshine between Seattle and Portland in the summer is negligible.

The only season that Portland is a bit sunnier than Seattle is fall.

With deep troughs in general, Seattle tends to benefit from the Olympic shadow and actually probably sees more sun in those patterns than Portland.

A forum for the end of the world.

You and moldman live in pretty wet microclimates.

And despite that it has even been a very dry month for you two as well.

3F4B1865-A9B8-469D-AAC5-C830597BF42C.png

Moldman. :lol:

• Like 1

And the nightly hot-box right? What kind of car(s) do you have?

More like every other night, but yeah.

I drive a dinosaur..1999 Acura RL and also a Silverado for work.

Newfoundland/Labrador is getting blasted right now. ECMWF has about 18” falling there over the next 18hrs. Right down to sea level.

Crazy to see at 50N. Through tomorrow evening:

oNLQUsL.png

I will say Tim. You have posted enough pictures of your ridge here than I immediately recognized it coming down I-90 westbound early this evening.

It’s a nice area. We had a chance to stop at both Snoqualmie Falls and downtown North Bend.