July 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Sunny and hot w dp's in the upper 50s and temps @ near 90F. HI holding at 90F. Fairly comfortable outside.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

@ Hawkeye, you getting a good storm?

Nope.  The heavy cells are only allowed to pass north of me this summer.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Nope. The heavy cells are only allowed to pass north of me this summer.

I got 0.62 inches of rain in 25 minutes. Winds were easily 40-50mph for at least 5 minutes, almost all of the rain fell sideways.

@hawkeye there are storms to the southwest of Linn county moving NE so those should bring rain to all of CR area.

• Like 1

I swear, Iowawx, you are going to end up with 10" of rain more than me this summer, and you only live 5-6 miles north.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

I swear, Iowawx, you are going to end up with 10" of rain more than me this summer, and you only live 5-6 miles north.

Did you get any rain from the storm that just moved through? I'm still watching those cells to the SW and they do seem to be moving ENE. 

Did you get any rain from the storm that just moved through? I'm still watching those cells to the SW and they do seem to be moving ENE. 

Only enough to wet the pavement.

Well this system was a mild disappointment here in the Omaha metro, the early afternoon storms around here appeared to push the cold front south much earlier than expected and cut off the heavy rain and storms that were forecast for this evening and tonight.

Only picked up .20 of rain, when the forecast called for 1 to 3 inches across the I-80 corridor. The Flash Flood Watch that went in effect at 4pm was cancelled by the NWS Omaha Valley about 30 minutes in, oops.

• Like 1

Current conditions, clear and still comfortable w dew holding at 60F. :D

@ Jaster: hang in there bud, t'stms in the forecast for Monday 100%. Lets see how that verifies. They cant even forecast tomorrow correctly! :lol:

• Like 1

Lawns/gardens in the area about to get a nice drink this morning as a good batch of heavier rains move in.  Might get some decent storm action to pop later this afternoon but not expecting anything severe.

I saw some footage of the wind damage caused by the severe storms that hit portions of E IA yesterday.  Lot's of wind damage in IA/S WI.

• Like 1

Additional development overnight filled in some of the dry gaps around here.  I picked up a total of 0.66".

• Like 1

Lawns/gardens in the area about to get a nice drink this morning as a good batch of heavier rains move in.  Might get some decent storm action to pop later this afternoon but not expecting anything severe.

I saw some footage of the wind damage caused by the severe storms that hit portions of E IA yesterday.  Lot's of wind damage in IA/S WI.

Still waiting for anything promising. Per radar attm, KBEH should be reporting at least some qpf, yet nada per 9:53 Obs?? West of Kzoo to the lake is still fine, but you get just about 5 miles east and the (once very green) grass at the I-94 rest area looks like one massive carpet of dried up deadness. Ran my sprinkler this morn to at least keep the garden going and my fairly small front lawn from total toast, and to keep the dust down. Dust in the wind and I don't get along, lol

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

I was lucky and got .76” of rain from the early storms, but disappointed to see everything pushed off to the south. Looks like nothing now until mid week

Well this system was a mild disappointment here in the Omaha metro, the early afternoon storms around here appeared to push the cold front south much earlier than expected and cut off the heavy rain and storms that were forecast for this evening and tonight.

Only picked up .20 of rain, when the forecast called for 1 to 3 inches across the I-80 corridor. The Flash Flood Watch that went in effect at 4pm was cancelled by the NWS Omaha Valley about 30 minutes in, oops.

We are closing in on the first half of meteorological summer and what a nice warm summer the first half has been. So far Grand Rapids has 13 days of 90 or better. The last 18 days have been 80 or better and of the last 52 days only one did not reach 70 or better. The coldest low so far in June and July has only been 48 and the hottest has been 94 on 4 days. It has been on the dry side with only 0.14″ of rain in July and 2.50″ in June. For June and July there have only been 4 days when thunder was reported at GRR.

• Like 1

Still waiting for anything promising. Per radar attm, KBEH should be reporting at least some qpf, yet nada per 9:53 Obs?? West of Kzoo to the lake is still fine, but you get just about 5 miles east and the (once very green) grass at the I-94 rest area looks like one massive carpet of dried up deadness. Ran my sprinkler this morn to at least keep the garden going and my fairly small front lawn from total toast, and to keep the dust down. Dust in the wind and I don't get along, lol

So far here in GR only 0.14" of rain in July. Going back to June 10th Grand Rapids has only had 0.89" of rain, There has only been 2 days with thunder in that time. So it has been warm to hot with little rain and only 2 days with thunder (note I did not say thunderstorms as they have just not happened yet this summer) 

• Like 1

Total rainfall since yesterday afternoon is 0.98 inches for me in Cedar Rapids. I saw there was a report of 60mph winds with the storms yesterday near my location. A couple of small trees in my area were blown to the ground, but in my yard, only a few small branches came off. Winds yesterday were likely 50-60mph for at least 5 minutes, it was one of the strongest storms I've seen here in awhile. 

Hoping for some more rain today and tomorrow as front sits around the area. 

• Like 1

Cloudy and muggy w temps in the upper 70s. A few light spotty showers earlier was hitting my front deck, otherwise, a mainly cloudy to mostly cloudy day.

Cloudy and muggy w temps in the upper 70s. A few light spotty showers earlier was hitting my front deck, otherwise, a mainly cloudy to mostly cloudy day.

How about them 90's??  Same here, cloudy all day long with a bit of rain have kept temps at bay in the upper 70's.

A good test coming up to see if the arctic temps hit 32F, or lower, sometime next week as a strong Polar storm is forecast to develop in the arctic.  Current temps are trending lower and close to touching the freezing mark.

http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/plots/meanTarchive/meanT_2018.png

Thick and green yard in the middle of July. It resembles conditions of May. Usually by this time of year, yards are stressed even with sprinkler systems. I am a little fearful that grubs might be pretty significant in the next couple of months. I have a service that sprays my yard 5 different times a season. I know grub control is included but it is never 100% effective.

Looks like mainly low 80s here next week. Not a major cool down but the humidity will be a lot less. Wednesday into Thursday could be quite wet.

This, x100...I can deal with warmth, but the humidity gets annoying.  Another couple more days of uncomfortable DP's before a drier Canadian airmass ushers in.  Are you going to spark up a bon fire this week?  Perfect wx for it coming up.

It's a beautiful summery morning over here, albeit a bit humid and damp, with a touch of fog in the air.  The sun should burn off any residual moisture in the lower levels by mid morning.  I can't believe how fast this summer has been flying by.  It feels like it was just yesterday we were baking in the late May heat and looking forward to Memorial Day.  Before you know it, it will be Labor Day weekend and the local beaches/pools will be closing!

We made it.  The 1st half of summer is in the books.  How would you rate it?  I would give it prob 8 or 9 stars out of 10.  We've practically had all that mother nature can deliver thus far this summer.  Severe storms, heat/humidity, some cool spells mixed in and a lot of precip to help keep things green around here.

While it won't be terribly cool to start this week, the transition week towards cooler wx is upon us when looking at the entire scope of the pattern moving forward.  There is an interesting storm system showing up on all the models for later in the week that has potential to bring a widespread soaker for posters near the MW/GL's region.  An unusual, almost clipper-like storm system slowly traverses the region.  How many times have we seen these unusual summer systems this summer?  Not the last, as you all know, it was on my mind long ago and the Solar Min has a lot to do with it. 

The 00z Euro creeps this cut-off system and dumps a ton of rain across S MI where the moisture is desperately needed.  I hope this system delivers, bc I know we are going to be dealing with dryness as we head into Aug around these parts.  Let's see how much precip we can get before this month is finished.

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_24.png

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNorm_us_7.png

• Like 1

This, x100...I can deal with warmth, but the humidity gets annoying. Another couple more days of uncomfortable DP's before a drier Canadian airmass ushers in. Are you going to spark up a bon fire this week? Perfect wx for it coming up.

It's a beautiful summery morning over here, albeit a bit humid and damp, with a touch of fog in the air. The sun should burn off any residual moisture in the lower levels by mid morning. I can't believe how fast this summer has been flying by. It feels like it was just yesterday we were baking in the late May heat and looking forward to Memorial Day. Before you know it, it will be Labor Day weekend and the local beaches/pools will be closing!

Yup i most likely will have atleast 1 bonfire! Ive been trimming up the trees on my property so i have a lot of brush. A lot of it will be taken to the brush pile outside of town but ill keep the smaller, dead stuff for burning.
  • Like 1

Current conditions, clear and still comfortable w dew holding at 60F. :D

@ Jaster: hang in there bud, t'stms in the forecast for Monday 100%. Lets see how that verifies. They cant even forecast tomorrow correctly! :lol:

So far here in GR only 0.14" of rain in July. Going back to June 10th Grand Rapids has only had 0.89" of rain, There has only been 2 days with thunder in that time. So it has been warm to hot with little rain and only 2 days with thunder (note I did not say thunderstorms as they have just not happened yet this summer)

Marshall scored another whopping .01" from Saturday's "event". What. A. Joke! Ma Nature, can we get some balance around here for once?? Past two years have been horrid in this bi-polar regard. Summer part 1 not scoring very high with too much swelter and ongoing drought. Another week til maybe that crawler busts this pattern

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

I give the first half of Summer a 4/10. It's been wet, but at the same time it's been consistently hot with very few breaks. That drives me crazy.

Unfortunately, the coming cool down not looking as good as forecasted several days ago when it had highs in the 70’s and lows in the upper 50’s here. Bump those temps upward some and keeping the humidity is the current forecast. Boo.

The system showing up late this week into the following weekend reminds me a lot of the bowling ball systems we saw back in March.  The amount of blocking showing up across most of Canada is plentiful to allow the system to crawl its way east into the GL's.  MI peeps, this is your system that finally brings the summer "goods".  12z Euro still painting widespread 1-2" of precip across MI and the GL's.

• Like 1