Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

July 2018 Observations and Discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

james1976

Posted Yesterday, 09:21 AM

james1976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4052 posts
  • LocationAplington, IA
I mentioned it a couple times and it might not mean anything but the locust have been goin crazy since around the 1st of the month. Few friends and coworkers mentioned it too. Usually its close to August when they start buzzin. Coworker also said he has a bush thats already turning red. Maybe the vegitation and wildlife is trying to telling us something. Haha. Regardless, it definitely makes me think of fall!

james1976

Posted Yesterday, 09:23 AM

james1976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4052 posts
  • LocationAplington, IA
Today is the most comfortable of the week so far. Comfy temps and humidity. Starting to cloud up a bit. The neighbor next to my work is burning wood. Gettin me in that fall mood!

Tom

Posted Yesterday, 09:54 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 16633 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

Today is the most comfortable of the week so far. Comfy temps and humidity. Starting to cloud up a bit. The neighbor next to my work is burning wood. Gettin me in that fall mood!

I had thought the same thing this morning when the sun was coming up and the feeling of the cool, crisp, Canadian air gave me goose bumps.  The next couple weeks look ideal for more of this refreshing air.

james1976

Posted Yesterday, 10:37 AM

james1976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4052 posts
  • LocationAplington, IA
Still pretty warm. 83 with 84 heat index. Doesnt feel like it though.

LNK_Weather

Posted Yesterday, 10:56 AM

LNK_Weather

Apparently my posts are garbage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3173 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE (The Shaft City)
Today's actually tolerable. 85°F with a dew point in the upper 60s. Summer-like but it doesn't feel like I'm in an armpit.

2018 Severe Weather Season Statistics for my apartment:

Tornado Watches: 2 (Last: 6/11/2018)

Tornado Warnings: 0 (Last: 5/9/2016)

Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 4 (Last: 6/30/2018)

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: 3 (Last: 6/30/2018)

SPC Day 1 High Risks: 0 (Last: 6/5/2008)

SPC Day 1 Moderate Risks: 1 (Last: 6/1/2018)

SPC Day 1 Enhanced Risks: 3 (Last: 6/30/2018)

SPC Day 1 Slight Risks: 6 (Last: 7/18/2018)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2017-2018: 12/23-12/24 (3.6), 1/22 (1.8), 2/5 (1.6), 2/6 (2.0), 2/9-2/10 (2.8), 2/21-2/22 (1.9), 4/14-4/15 (2.0)

Total Snowfall for 2017-2018 @ KLNK: 21.4"               Coldest Low: -19*F (1/1/2018)

First flake of the season: 10/31/2017 @ 1:17 PM        Last flake of the season: 4/15/2018 @ 9:22 AM

gabel23

Posted Yesterday, 12:58 PM

gabel23

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts
  • LocationShelby, NE

Definitely not the first Enhanced Risk in Eastern Nebraska this spring/summer, but we haven’t had too many of them either. Maybe the 4th one of the season, even though it doesn’t “technically” include Omaha today.

I agree with Gabel, it has been an interesting late spring/summer around here weather-wise to say the least. We started with plenty of heat and very dry (drought like weather) conditions that was even leading to dust storms when the May winds hit... giving us fears of another Dust Bowl on the Plains after an abnormally cold and dry Winter (at least over most of Eastern, Central and Southern Nebraska).

Then June followed with abundant moisture which caused plenty of flooding on the Missouri River, and very warm and humid to boot. The College World Series schedule was absolutely wrecked by the rain and storms like never before this year, however amazingly the event still was a mild success attendance wise despite Mother Nature not cooperating at all.

July has been very different from normal Julys, starting off with plenty of heat and the July 4th severe storms with the crazy outflow winds. It appears that we will be transitioning to another wet and cooler pattern to finish the month around here- which I will take!

Well said man, that dust storm in May was crazy!! 

gabel23

Posted Yesterday, 01:04 PM

gabel23

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts
  • LocationShelby, NE

Not the first picking of cucumbers but man they are going crazy! Got a lot of jalapeno's today and my first couple tomatoes. My wife is getting itchy to get some salsa made; as am I because she sold our supply from last year at the farmers market!! My potatoes are also flowering like crazy; as mentioned before we have been blessed with some timely rains this summer. 

Attached Files

• Tom, OKwx2k4 and St Paul Storm like this

St Paul Storm

Posted Yesterday, 05:25 PM

St Paul Storm

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1605 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Not the first picking of cucumbers but man they are going crazy! Got a lot of jalapeno's today and my first couple tomatoes. My wife is getting itchy to get some salsa made; as am I because she sold our supply from last year at the farmers market!! My potatoes are also flowering like crazy; as mentioned before we have been blessed with some timely rains this summer.

Awesome! My garden is popping too, but nothing like yours. I have my first cucumbers, tomatoes, and jalapeños coming in now. That d**n 18” snowstorm in mid April really set me back this season.
  • gabel23 likes this

St Paul Storm

Posted Yesterday, 05:27 PM

St Paul Storm

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1605 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

I mentioned it a couple times and it might not mean anything but the locust have been goin crazy since around the 1st of the month. Few friends and coworkers mentioned it too. Usually its close to August when they start buzzin. Coworker also said he has a bush thats already turning red. Maybe the vegitation and wildlife is trying to telling us something. Haha. Regardless, it definitely makes me think of fall!

I was thinking the same thing about Fall this evening when I came home and found acorns falling from a few of my oak trees. That’s about a month early. Not sure what it means, if anything, but it made me go ‘hmmmm’.
  • james1976 likes this