July 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

I don't doubt it's been a bit cloudier than normal summer so far for much of western WA.

Still...the regional dryness going on 3 months now is very real, highly unusual, and not changing because of a few areas getting drizzle. I suspect much of the PNW will be officially in a higher level of drought soon.

In answer to your question, I think it's mostly just bad luck for areas south of Seattle. Northern CA had a wet spring overall. So early on the systems were focused south of much of the region, and since late May they've been focused north.

I think areas just south of Seattle have been in more rain shadows this year. Have had a lot of W to NW flow events that sparked off the CZ from the city northward. (which is normal) Just not enough moisture hit the sound Sound region.

Was drizzly and even had a shower this morning. 0.02" recorded. Clouds have been trying to break up since.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Not really much of a debate. Just some people pointing out objective reality and other denying it in favor of backyard-centric anecdotes.

I am not denying the dry weather elsewhere.    But its not only wet here... its wetter than normal this summer.    Which serves to exaggerate the normal differences.  

Having it wet and green is nice compared to being a tinder box.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not really much of a debate. Just some people pointing out objective reality and other denying it in favor of backyard-centric anecdotes.

Much more area than just my back yard. Goes to show you how broad those maps are and do not reflect how wet it’s actually been around the region up here.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Much more area than just my back yard. Goes to show you how broad those maps are and do not reflect how wet it’s actually been around the region up here.

They reflect what actual stations show. The vast majority of the stations in western WA were drier than normal in June, after an extremely dry May.

Funny how all of the sudden the WRCC maps are crap, after people have been using them on here for years...

A forum for the end of the world.

Crazy how much cooler the Euro is than the GFS for early next week.

You mean late next week? 12Z ECMWF still shows low to mid 90s down there early next week. Not exactly cool. ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

They reflect what actual stations show. The vast majority of the stations in western WA were drier than normal in June, after an extremely dry May.

Funny how all of the sudden the WRCC maps are crap, after people have been using them on here for years...

Those maps seem to accurately depict where it's been wet this year and also over the last month. It's a small area in the big picture... but it feels much bigger when you live in the wet area. It would take me 2-3 hours of driving back roads to get to Randy... all spent in the wet and lush green zone. :)

I know the edge of the drier areas isn't too far away if you're traveling south. I've noticed on trips to Bellevue the grass starts looking a lot more burned up along side the roads as you travel further into the city from the north. I'm sure it's similar while traveling from north Seattle towards the south end.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Looks like thicker clouds banked up against the Issaquah Alps over Renton and Maple Valley right now.

Vancouver looks socked in.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Those maps seem to accurately depict where it's been wet this year and also over the last month. It's a small area in the big picture... but it feels much bigger when you live in the wet area. It would take me 2-3 hours of driving back roads to get to Randy... all spent in the wet and lush green zone. :)

Not subjective or anecdotal in the least.

Not subjective or anecdotal in the least.

I said it FEELS big....explaining the subjective nature.

We live in a 5,000 square mile bubble of wet, lush green happiness in the middle of a drought stricken region. How is that? :)

(roughly 100 miles long by 50 miles wide)

With the sun coming out, I would expect to see a steamy mist rising off the road any minute

Happened last night when it rained. It probably happened earlier today as well, but I was not out there after taking the pic.

Now the roads are all dry.   Summer is about to really start up here now.   ;)

He makes a great point. Driving the back roads makes ANY area seem bigger.

It is certainly a bigger area than just the property that Randy owns.    :lol:

Looks much cooler than the GFS Sunday-Tuesday to me.

I guess... still in the 90s.   No doubt that the more moderate ECMWF will be correct.

About 50/50 for sun to cloud ratio right now. So far seeing low 80s for Sunday and Monday. Will probably rise in the days to come a bit.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

About 50/50 for sun to cloud ratio right now. So far seeing low 80s for Sunday and Monday. Will probably rise in the days to come a bit.

Same here... lots of blue sky now.

For once King County has more sun than most places:

7-10_sat.png

70 degrees here with a dewpoint of 55 and completely calm. Really nice out there.

You’re usually b*tchinh endlessly about weather like that.

Hopefully you’re finally adapting to what should (and will) be climo in your area.

Pretty hard to beat your low to mid 80s with low humidity and lush green landscape. You are living the dream right now!

Aaaand 24hrs later it’s 97 degrees.

We do it effortlessly.

You’re usually b*tchinh endlessly about weather like that.

Hopefully you’re finally adapting to what should (and will) be climo in your area.

Straw man!   

I almost never complain if the sun is shining... regardless of the temperature.     I praise sunny days in the low 70s all the time.  

Side note... the normal high is in the mid to upper 70s around here in July and August.     So this is a little below climo... but still perfect.

Straw man!

I almost never complain if the sun is shining... regardless of the temperature. I praise sunny days in the low 70s all the time.

Side note... the normal high is in the mid to upper 70s around here in July and August. So this is a little below climo... but still perfect.

Your climo is not upper 70s. Sorry.

You can pimp out that 78 degree number all you want, but that doesn’t make it accurate. ;)

Your climo is not upper 70s. Sorry.

You can pimp out that 78 degree number all you want, but that doesn’t make it accurate. ;)

Whatever Phil.    Not getting into this again.    

Normal high here is 52 in July.   I live at 8,000 feet in elevation.     :lol:

As we exhaustively discussed last summer... 1,000 feet in elevation away from the water has almost no effect on temperature in the summer and many days its warmer here than in Seattle. 

Was nice to have a high in the mid-60s yesterday during the 2nd week in July. Not may places in the US can pull that off, especially with no rain. Did pick up 0.01" overnight. Boosting my monthly total to 0.04".

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

This was from the discussion last summer...

The South Sound sees fairly warm summers.

Then as soon as you get a little east of the water, you're looking at a few degrees of warming. Tim's area has a much more continental profile than somewhere right near the water. In a warm offshore flow pattern he can easily be 4-8 degrees hotter in the afternoon than somewhere like SEA.

The ECMWF and CMC both have a nice trough moving in on the 18th, right when I arrive.

Yeah baby. Let’s keep that trend going.

This was from the discussion last summer...

And the opposite is true in onshore flow patterns. In the end, your average maximum peaks around 75-76 for a few weeks, then starts declining again.

Highs in the 80s would be several degrees above climo for you.

The ECMWF and CMC both have a nice trough moving in on the 18th, right when I arrive.

Yeah baby. Let’s keep that trend going.

Yeah... the 12Z ECMWF is frigid on the 18th!  

ecmwf_t2max_washington_35_1.png

The 19th is cooler... right around normal.    But then its warming up again on the 20th.   :)

And the opposite is true in onshore flow patterns. In the end, your average maximum peaks around 75-76 for a few weeks, then starts declining again.

Highs in the 80s would be several degrees above climo for you.

A high in the 80s would be above climo on any given day... that is true.   

But highs in the 80s are quite common here in the summer so it is also climo for it to happen... offset by some days in the upper 60s and low 70s when onshore flow is stronger and marine layer hangs around most of the day.   Normal ebb and flow here.  

Yeah... the 12Z ECMWF is frigid on the 18th!

ecmwf_t2max_washington_35_1.png

The 19th is cooler... right around normal. But then its warming up again on the 20th. :)

Looks like a potential retrogression window to me.

And I’d be cool with this. Hopefully it trends colder and highs stay in the 60’s. Perfection would be mid-60s and scattered showers with some sunshine mixed in.

N5AU1II.png

TfMTy2m.png