July 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

The eleven 80+ days SEA has already recorded didn't actually happen.

They were scattered... now we have consistent nice weather.     ;)

Take it up with the SEA NWS folks.   I get what they are saying... it feels like we have really switched to a true summer pattern now.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

If 5-10 degrees above average is truly summer...

Apparently.   Certainly makes it feel like summer.  

And for the first time this year... I will likely be turning on the sprinklers here.   Everything looks so good with the consistent rain we have been getting.    The window for having to use the sprinklers will be pretty short this year... we are already half way through July and I am sure there will be a few soaking rains here by mid to late August as usual.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

They were scattered... now we have consistent nice weather. ;)

Take it up with the SEA NWS folks. I get what they are saying... it feels like we have really switched to a true summer pattern now.

You were already in a summer pattern.

This is not a normal summer pattern. Seattle isn’t Sacramento.

• Like 1

Yeah, long unbroken stretches of 85+ degree weather might be the normal summer pattern looking at the last 5-6 years. But what the region experienced the last few weeks is much more normal compared to long term averages.

• Like 1

You have to live here to understand.

We typically spend June and the first few days of July dealing with systems that bring rain and lots of clouds and that feels like a muted continuation of spring even though its perfectly normal "summer" weather here.   Then usually around the first or second week of July we get into a longer stretch of completely dry and sunny weather and that is why locals always joke that summer really starts around here on July 5th.  Cliff Mass says it statistically starts around July 12th.   Which is why the SEA NWS said its right on time this year.  

You have to live here to understand.

We typically spend June and the first few days of July dealing with systems that bring rain and lots of clouds and that feels like a muted continuation of spring even though its perfectly normal "summer" weather here. Then usually around the first or second week of July we get into a longer stretch of completely dry and sunny weather and that is why locals always joke that summer really starts around here on July 5th. Cliff Mass says it statistically starts around July 12th. Which is why the SEA NWS said its right on time this year.

By “here” do you mean the region. Or at 1,200’ in the temperate rainforest foothills above North Bend? I think the latter would be more applicable in this case.

By “here” do you mean the region. Or at 1,200’ in the temperate rainforest foothills above North Bend? I think the latter would be more applicable in this case.

I know that the running joke in the Seattle area is that summer really starts on July 5th around here.   Cliff Mass and the SEA NWS have done post on how it really statistically starts around July 12th.    They are referencing the driest and sunniest part of the year... from mid-July to mid-August.

This has nothing to do with my location.   This is a Seattle thing.

http://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/seattle-summers-have-been-getting-a-head-start-lately

"Forget the summer solstice, summer doesn't really begin until July 5th in Seattle."

It's an old saying around here that's about half tongue-in-cheek and half based in meteorological truth.

Here is another post about how its really July 12th:

http://mynorthwest.com/20581/why-summer-doesnt-really-start-in-western-washington-until-july-12/?

But our weather tends to lag what the calendar says. For much of western Washington, climatology (history of weather) shows summer usually begins in Seattle around July 12. Some years are earlier, others later, but generally the season appears to change on the 12th.

The start of western Washington’s summer weather is dependent on the position of the eastern Pacific high pressure area. By mid-July, the high usually establishes itself far enough north off the coast to deflect most wet weather systems north of Washington, meaning more sunshine, and the warmest and driest times of the year. That tends to last into September for the region.

I know that the running joke in the Seattle area is that summer really starts on July 5th around here. Cliff Mass and the SEA NWS have done post on how it really statistically starts around July 12th. They are referencing the driest and sunniest part of the year... from mid-July to mid-August.

This has nothing to do with my location. This is a Seattle thing.

http://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/seattle-summers-have-been-getting-a-head-start-lately

"Forget the summer solstice, summer doesn't really begin until July 5th in Seattle."

It's an old saying around here that's about half tongue-in-cheek and half based in meteorological truth.

The same phrase exists down here. Been years since it’s actually been applicable though.

The same phrase exists down here. Been years since it’s actually been applicable though.

Well... the professionals at the SEA NWS office said yesterday that summer was arriving right on time this year.   They were not referencing my backyard.   They were... of course... talking about the entire Seattle area.    ;)    

Maybe some hot sunshine for Phil up on Hippa Island!   Maybe they can get some offshore flow and set all time record highs.   :lol:

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_45.png

Well... the professionals at the SEA NWS office said yesterday that summer was arriving right on time this year. They were not referencing my backyard. They were... of course... talking about the entire Seattle area. ;)

Is there something in your eye?

I wonder how many times the exact same thing can be repeated...This forum is answering that question: INFINITE!

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

It’s just OCD. Plus he agrees with my preferences this time of year. Free pass. Stop PMSing.

Definitely OCD with you concerning Matt's opinions!   

It’s just OCD. Plus he agrees with my preferences this time of year. Free pass. Stop PMSing.

He will be up to 50,000 posts by the end of summer.

I

That is one way to achieve your goals.

The professionals at the NWS told Cliff Mass to tell your neighbors to tell your sons to tell their friends to tell Matt that the weather has been awful lately and you are wrong.

So far in July... its been a pretty decent mix of warm, sunny days and rain events to keep it green.    

So far in July... its been a pretty decent mix of warm, sunny days and rain events to keep it green.    

Not so sure about that. I've heard more than a few people use some downright salty language to describe this first ten days of Julyuary!

Not so sure about that. I've heard more than a few people use some downright salty language to describe this first ten days of Julyuary!

Not from me.  

First 2 days were sort of crappy for July... but its been decent since.   

Well it's a good thing summer's finally arriving. Somebody let it know it's a week late! LOL.

Actually a day early per Cliff Mass.