July 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

91 for the high at SEA... 1 degree warmer than yesterday.

I’m a little surprised considering there seemed to be a little marine air around this morning. Foggy near the sound on some webcams. I thought it might have been a degree or 2 cooler today. Ended up close to 90 here as well. Though I haven’t been home to see what we ended up at for the max.

Been driving through the entire state of Montana twice each summer for 15 years. Brown and smoky is the most common conditions we have observed.

That is rather extreme. Eastern Montana browns up in August but isn't always smokey. It's definitely not brown nor smokey here right now. Even Billings is still quite green right now. It wasn't even brown here this time last year either. In fact, it's raining and storming here right now!

http://i65.tinypic.com/2eq6ff8.jpg

• Like 4

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

It's crazy enough to me how even Minnesota and North Dakota have rivers that flow north to the Hudson Bay so all the way from Glacier NP is indeed a fascinating aspect of North American topography.

I think it is pretty cool to that the headwaters of the Fraser and Columbia are very close together. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I think it is pretty cool to that the headwaters of the Fraser and Columbia are very close together.

Like less than a mile right?

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Like less than a mile right?

You might be thinking of the Kootenay River. Major tributary of the upper Columbia that flows within a mile or so of the river’s source at Canal Flats. It then swings south through NW Montana and the Idaho panhandle before finally entering the Columbia near the US/Canada border, a couple hundred river miles later.

30EB0C21-372B-41E4-A6E6-B2A94B2F9BB8.png

Friday still looks cooler on the ECMWF than the GFS.

I'd side with the latter.

Models seem to be coming around to some sort of shallow marine push in that time frame as the ridge reconfigures offshore. It likely won’t be enough to keep PDX below 90, but it should do the trick for SEA.

My family and I are going to Leavenworth the weekend of August 6th.

I’m hoping and praying we don’t use up all the sun and warmth before then and get stuck with cloudy and upper 60s.

Even in a cool regional pattern you will still likely see 70s and sunshine at worst over there in early August. I would be more concerned about the entire area being engulfed in wildfire at that point.

Got a portable AC unit (Della) which is made to cool an area 1000 sq ft. House is bigger than that but if we shut the doors to non necessary rooms it does a pretty good job. Can get the living room where the unit is; in combination of opening windows at around 8pm, down to the upper 60s in the early morning hours.

I just had central air installed.  Sooooooo nice!  68 in my room.  Vs. the 80+ it would be normally in this weather.

Hefty price tag, but seems to be more and more worth it.  First bill with the new AC shows a $5 increase...well worth it.

We had A/C installed in our new home just in case but we’ve never used it. Cools off way too quickly in the evenings to ever have a need for it out here.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

We had A/C installed in our new home just in case but we’ve never used it. Cools off way too quickly in the evenings to ever have a need for it out here.

You’ll probably be glad you have it at some point. Another couple decades of global baffinislanding and you could be the new Portland!

I have seen AC units in windows here in Whitefish. A lot of unusually consistent warmth even out here in recent years. Some of the warmest summers on record in the last 10+ years (2017 and 2007).

We put two units in this place when we moved in eight years ago. With another 20 or so years of -PDO coming up and in the midst of a summer of repeated low cloud shockers, it seemed like a ridiculous upgrade.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Are you in the Cariboo region now? I saw there was a special weather statement about smoke up around Smithers. So far I haven't noticed any hint of smoke in the sky here in Victoria.

No I’m in Shawnigan. You could see a bit of haze creeping in from the north this afternoon but it was pretty thin.

I have a nice AC unit for the master bedroom. Rest of the house gets up into the mid-80s during the day and then drops to about 70 at night. I am up in the living room right now and it is fairly pleasant. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Looks like 20-30kt northerlies in the forecast for the waters off Hippa Island starting Thursday. Will be arriving there tomorrow afternoon..spending the night here in Vancouver, BC.

Nothing like last year’s cyclone this time, but definitely much better than calm weather and flat seas under a boring ridge.

• Like 1

Looks like 20-30kt northerlies in the forecast for the waters off Hippa Island starting Thursday. Will be arriving there tomorrow afternoon..spending the night here in Vancouver, BC.

Nothing like last year’s cyclone this time, but definitely much better than calm weather and flat seas under a boring ridge.

Taking a duck boat tour?

Yes Jesse, I know. Poor taste.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

You’ll probably be glad you have it at some point. Another couple decades of global baffinislanding and you could be the new Portland!

I have seen AC units in windows here in Whitefish. A lot of unusually consistent warmth even out here in recent years. Some of the warmest summers on record in the last 10+ years (2017 and 2007).

Yeah 2007 and 2017 were hot ones out here as well. After seeing the warming of the Portland area climate first hand it was an easy call to put in an A/C unit here in our inevitable warming climate. I'd be happy to take the financial hit and be wrong though!

Cold Season 2023/24:

All the models now seem to point to a significant cool down and zonal flow during the first week of August.

EPS has been very consistent for several days.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

At the south terminal in Vancouver this morning, getting ready to take off for Sandspit.

Noticing a pretty nasty smell in the air this morning..thought it was smelly garbage at first, but it’s literally everywhere. Maybe some mixture of wildfire smoke or local pesticides/farming? Either way, it’s not pleasing.

At the south terminal in Vancouver this morning, getting ready to take off for Sandspit.

Noticing a pretty nasty smell in the air this morning..thought it was smelly garbage at first, but it’s literally everywhere. Maybe some mixture of wildfire smoke or local pesticides/farming? Either way, it’s not pleasing.

Haida Gwaii? Wow that's gotta be beautiful up there.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised at the awesomeness of the weather over the last few days despite a pretty stout ridge. I was expecting heat, but it never really got uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Haida Gwaii? Wow that's gotta be beautiful up there.

Yeah, it’s really something.

Then have to chopper to the west coast of the Island. No other way to get there.

Could be farming. Could be low tide.

Yeah, it’s really something.

Then have to chopper to the west coast of the Island. No other way to get there.

Kayak too XD

Personal Stats:

Venmo

I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised at the awesomeness of the weather over the last few days despite a pretty stout ridge. I was expecting heat, but it never really got uncomfortable.

Well... then it never really gets hot here!

SEA has been at or above 90 the last 2 days.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Still pretty green along our road... more exposed areas are showing signs of drying out though.   

20180725_091513.jpg

Good news... the GFS actually show what looks like convection next Monday.    We will be out of town so we are hoping it rains while we are gone since we can't be watering.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_23.png