July 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Getting dark...storms a brewing.

Brewing was a bust in Federal Way so far.....spit a few drops and now sun is shining through the clouds

Currently 64*

Had a high of 71, went to wildwaves today and we froze! Lasted three hours before Grandson chattering teeth said go home!

• Like 1

http://oi67.tinypic.com/1675b9d.jpg

Rod Hill just updated his 7 day forecast.

TUESDAY: Early clouds and light shower chance, then clearing skies, northwest winds 5-15 mph.

WEDNESDAY: Sunny, a hot afternoon with northeast breezes.

THURSDAY: Sunny skies, extreme heat with temperatures in the 90s.

FRIDAY: Sunny skies, extreme heat with temperatures in the 90s.

SATURDAY: Sunny and very hot.

SUNDAY: Sunny and very hot.

MONDAY: Sunny and very hot.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/idhz77.jpg

http://portlandweather.com/ios-1.2-portland-7-day.html

Brewing was a bust in Federal Way so far.....spit a few drops and now sun is shining through the clouds

Currently 64*

Had a high of 71, went to wildwaves today and we froze! Lasted three hours before Grandson chattering teeth said go home!

We had a good nearly two hours of rain. Everything got a good soaking!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Most of it has to do with weather cycles and you guys up north have been stuck in the one week cycle centered on Saturday at the moment. Don't worry you should break out of it soon and this Saturday looks dry with some sun up there.

Rod Hill just updated his 7 day forecast.

TUESDAY: Early clouds and light shower chance, then clearing skies, northwest winds 5-15 mph.

WEDNESDAY: Sunny, a hot afternoon with northeast breezes.

THURSDAY: Sunny skies, extreme heat with temperatures in the 90s.

FRIDAY: Sunny skies, extreme heat with temperatures in the 90s.

SATURDAY: Sunny and very hot.

SUNDAY: Sunny and very hot.

MONDAY: Sunny and very hot.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/idhz77.jpg

http://portlandweather.com/ios-1.2-portland-7-day.html

EXTREME HEAT

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Had a few light sprinkles today.  Might be the last we get for a very long time.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

PDX managed a trace last night.

Only 8 days with more than .02" precip there since April 16...almost three months. Pretty remarkable.

SEA only got a trace as well.   

This was a fairly organized system offshore yesterday and looked impressive on satellite when it can ashore.    There have been numerous organized systems like like this in June and now July.   The system last Friday look impressive as well.    Its not like its been wall-to-wall ridging all summer.   There have been more cloudy days here this meteorological summer since probably 2012.   And its still very green which is indication that the weather has been active.   It has rained on 18 out of 40 days here this summer.

Serious question... why has it been impossible to buy a raindrop from Seattle southward?   I am not sure if this is just bad luck or some kind of new reality.   But it normally rains there in the summer and it rains even more out here.   Now... it seemingly never rains there but has been a fairly normal (maybe cloudier than normal) summer here to the north and east of Seattle.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Drizzled all night. Still drizzling. Everything is so extremely lush and my grass is growing at quite the rate. That’s okay Oregon, you will make up for it in the form of snow this winter.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Drizzled all night. Still drizzling. Everything is so extremely lush and my grass is growing at quite the rate. That’s okay Oregon, you will make up for it in the form of snow this winter.

There are parts of the valley that haven't had a single snowfall of more than 4" since 2014 so it seems to be going in a bad direction in that respect as well.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

This was a fairly organized system offshore yesterday and looked impressive on satellite when it can ashore.    There have been numerous organized systems like like this in June and now July.   The system last Friday look impressive as well.    Its not like its been wall-to-wall ridging all summer.   There have been more cloudy days here this meteorological summer since probably 2012.   And its still very green which is indication that the weather has been active.   It has rained on 18 out of 40 days here this summer.

Serious question... why has it been impossible to buy a raindrop from Seattle southward?   I am not sure if this is just bad luck or some kind of new reality.   But it normally rains there in the summer and it rains even more out here.   Now... it seemingly never rains there but has been a fairly normal (maybe cloudier than normal) summer here to the north and east of Seattle.

Got me curious how many days of measurable rain I've seen here this summer so far as well. Looks like 22 out of 40 days if you include todays storms. Yet you haven't heard me complain one bit (except maybe a little in mid June during the flooding!)  :P

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Got me curious how many days of measurable rain I've seen here this summer so far as well. Looks like 22 out of 40 days if you include todays storms. Yet you haven't heard me complain one bit (except maybe a little in mid June during the flooding!)  :P

Reporting is not always complaining.

The long stretches of cloudy days are far more annoying than some summer rain.   I love the heavy drizzle and dark skies this morning here because I know it will be sunny for the rest of the week.  

And I have heard you sarcastically mocking the crappy weather and yearning for warmth and sun.    ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Reporting is not always complaining.

The long stretches of cloudy days are far more annoying than some summer rain.   I love the heavy drizzle and dark skies this morning here because I know it will be sunny for the rest of the week.  

And I have heard you sarcastically mocking the crappy weather and yearning for warmth and sun.    ;)

7 days of measurable rain for me in Battle Ground since June 1st.

Yard is happy... can't keep up with the grass though.   Its growing so fast that I really should be mowing every 3 or 4 days.    That has been very rare in July here since 2012.  

Initial front was nothing much but we always make it up on the back end with these summer fronts.   

Play with the sound up... love the sound of free watering from nature.  :)

https://vimeo.com/279289651

I don't doubt it's been a bit cloudier than normal summer so far for much of western WA.

Still...the regional dryness going on 3 months now is very real, highly unusual, and not changing because of a few areas getting drizzle. I suspect much of the PNW will be officially in a higher level of drought soon.

In answer to your question, I think it's mostly just bad luck for areas south of Seattle. Northern CA had a wet spring overall. So early on the systems were focused south of much of the region, and since late May they've been focused north.

A forum for the end of the world.

I don't doubt it's been a bit cloudier than normal summer so far for much of western WA.

Still...the regional dryness going on 3 months now is very real, highly unusual, and not changing because of a few areas getting drizzle. I suspect much of the PNW will be officially in a higher level of drought soon.

In answer to your question, I think it's mostly just bad luck for areas south of Seattle. Northern CA had a wet spring overall. So early on the systems were focused south of much of the region, and since late May they've been focused north.

But since 2013... its been way drier even here at this point in the year (except 2016 which was about the same).

There have been organized systems and lots of troughing this summer.   And it shows here... as its still lush green almost half way through July.   This very different than 4 of the last 5 years in my area.   Its not always this wet and green in the middle of July here. 

So it must be bad luck that from Seattle southward its been so much worse.     

Zero drought concerns for much of western Wa. Been cool and wet...even though I’m sure the color coded map showing sweltering temps and bone dry conditions will be posted by you any minute now. Lake Goodwin water temp was only 71 degrees on the 4th...coldest it’s been this time of the year for many years. Currently at work looking out at a wet I-5 with very lush vegetation everywhere.

But since 2013... its been way drier even here at this point in the year (except 2016 which was about the same).

There have been organized systems and lots of troughing this summer.   And it shows here... as its still lush green almost half way through July.   This very different than 4 of the last 5 years in my area.   Its not always this wet and green in the middle of July here. 

So it must be bad luck that from Seattle southward its been so much worse.     

Not disputing how it's been in your area. But it's clearly been very dry across most of western WA over the past 3 months. Despite a somewhat cloudy start to summer and more troughing than some recent summers.

Zero drought concerns for much of western Wa. Been cool and wet...even though I’m sure the color coded map showing sweltering temps and bone dry conditions will be posted by you any minute now. Lake Goodwin water temp was only 71 degrees on the 4th...coldest it’s been this time of the year for many years. Currently at work looking out at a wet I-5 with very lush vegetation everywhere.

That is the strange thing... from Seattle north and eastward its been so much wetter and cloudier than in recent summers but south of that line its actually been worse.   And it does not seem to change.   Its been like this for most of 2018.

So is the line of drought moving northward or heading back south now?     

Just because it's green in your area does not make this true. Those maps present a better perspective of what's going on across the region than just what you see. 

Or maybe the WRCC and U.S. Drought Monitor are totally clueless about what's really going on.  :rolleyes:  

71 seems surprisingly warm considering how bad the weather has been there.

I really think the last few years have skewed people’s expectations for late spring and early summer.

• Like 1

That is the strange thing... from Seattle north and eastward its been so much wetter and cloudier than in recent summers but south of that line its actually been worse.   And it does not seem to change.   Its been like this for most of 2018.

So is the line of drought moving northward or heading back south now?     

If you are only talking about the past 30 days (ignoring the 60 and 90 day periods that reflect when the dryness began), there is a wetter area to the northeast of Seattle in the foothills/mountains. But the I-5 corridor overall north of Seattle has not been much wetter than areas to the south. It's really just a small area that you and Mossman happen to inhabit that's been wetter than recent summers. A relative blip in relation to what's occurring regionally.

30dPNormWRCC-NW.png

60dPNormWRCC-NW (1).png

71 seems surprisingly warm considering how bad the weather has been there.

I really think the last few years have skewed people’s expectations for late spring and early summer.

It is a shallow lake that warms quickly in the summer. Even in the 1980’s and 90’s it would average at least at 75 around the first of July.

May and June of 2018 have been much drier than 2017 here. In fact, we’ve seen less than 50% of what we saw last year during that period.

OLM saw about 25% of May/June 2017.

SEA about 20%.

BLI about 50%.

Even Everett only saw about 40%.

But it's lush and green in the foothills!!

If you are only talking about the past 30 days (ignoring the 60 and 90 day periods that reflect when the dryness began), there is a wetter area to the northeast of Seattle in the foothills/mountains. But the I-5 corridor overall north of Seattle has not been much wetter than areas to the south. It's really just a small area that you and Mossman happen to inhabit that's been wetter than recent summers. A relative blip in relation to what's occurring regionally.

attachicon.gif30dPNormWRCC-NW.png

Again... that is what is so strange.    Its actually been wetter than normal out here and to the north of my area over the last month despite being so completely bone dry elsewhere.   Its the story of 2018... the same area keeps getting all the anomalous rain.  

anomimage.gif

May was technically drier than normal but also featured many cloudy days and there was rain on 14 days in the month in my area so it did not feel hot and dry.    It started drying out around Memorial Day here and since then it has gone back to lush green with no watering required at all. 

I realize you will say it does not matter what happened in April... but the same places have been wet over the last month as well.  Its strangely persistent. 

OLM saw about 25% of May/June 2017.

SEA about 20%.

BLI about 50%.

Even Everett only saw about 40%.

But it's lush and green in the foothills!!

Again... its been significantly wetter than normal just east of the I-5 corridor almost the entire year.   Only May was drier than normal and you keep playing it up like it was such a big deal here.   But it wasn't.     

Its very strange for one area to be consistently wetter than normal while serious drought develops all around that area.

Again... that is what is so strange.    Its actually been wetter than normal out here and to the north of my area over the last month despite being so completely bone dry elsewhere.   Its the story of 2018... the same area keeps getting all the anomalous rain.  

anomimage.gif

May was technically drier than normal but also featured many cloudy days and there was rain on 14 days in the month in my area so it did not feel hot and dry.    It started drying out around Memorial Day here and since then it has gone back to lush green with no watering required at all. 

I realize you will say it does not matter what happened in April... but the same places have been wet over the last month as well.  Its strangely persistent. 

It's not that early April doesn't matter at all, it's just that the past 3 months are more relevant to the current situation.

The area of above normal precip north of Seattle was much more widespread earlier in the year. And the anomalies were much wetter.

It's not that early April doesn't matter at all, it's just that the past 3 months are more relevant to the current situation.

The area of above normal precip north of Seattle was much more widespread earlier in the year. And the anomalies were much wetter.

If it turned very dry out here (relative to normal) and stayed that way then I would agree with you.  

But now May looks like a blip in the overall theme for 2018.   Its still wetter than normal in the same area.    And its crazy lush green around here for mid July.    Around Memorial Day... I figured it would be a tinder box here by July.   Just the opposite.    Totally different than the last 5 years except for 2016.  

I have had almost 6 inches of rain since June 1st... while SEA has had .68 

Its not normal for my area to have almost 10 times as much rain as SEA.   The same thing is true for all the areas east of the I-5 corridor to the north.   The usual difference has been so exaggerated and it does not seem to change. 

One area area continues to be wetter than normal... surrounded by developing drought on all sides.      Its strange... you have to agree.    Maybe its more apparent to Randy and myself because we see it firsthand.  

Side note - I am not complaining about the rain.   A mix of rain and sunny, warm days is awesome in the summer.   I wish it had been more sunny so far... but the rain has been a good thing.    

If it turned very dry out here (relative to normal) and stayed that way then I would agree with you.  

But now May looks like a blip in the overall theme for 2018.   Its still wetter than normal in the same area.    And its crazy lush green around here for mid July.    Around Memorial Day... I figured it would be a tinder box here by July.   Just the opposite.    Totally different than the last 5 years except for 2016.  

I have had almost 6 inches of rain since June 1st... while SEA has had .68 

Its not normal for my area to have almost 10 times as much rain as SEA.   The same thing is true for all the areas east of the I-5 corridor to the north.   The usual difference has been so exaggerated and it does not seem to change. 

One area area continues to be wetter than normal... surrounded by developing drought on all sides.      Its strange... you have to agree.    Maybe its more apparent to Randy and myself because we see it firsthand.  

Again, I don't doubt your area has been a lot wetter than most of the region. It is somewhat strange. But the bolded is what I disagree with. Jan-Apr featured well above normal precip everywhere from Seattle north.

Since then, however, there's only been a much smaller area of the foothills that has been wetter than normal - and that's only for about the last month. Overall, the last 3 months have been much drier than normal for most areas of the I-5 corridor north of Seattle. A big departure from earlier in the year.

Again, I don't doubt your area has been a lot wetter than most of the region. It is somewhat strange. But the bolded is what I disagree with. Jan-Apr featured well above normal precip everywhere from Seattle north.

Since then, however, there's only been a much smaller area of the foothills that has been wetter than normal - and that's only for about the last month. Overall, the last 3 months have been much drier than normal for most areas of the I-5 corridor north of Seattle. A big departure from earlier in the year.

True... but its still wetter than normal out here and to the north.   That is the strange part.   Drought conditions expand northward all around us and yet it continues to be wetter than normal to the north and east of Seattle in the same area that has been so wet overall in 2018.     

I expect it to be wetter than Seattle here.    I don't expect Seattle to be so anomalously dry while its anomalously wet out here.   That is greatly exaggerating the normal difference.