July 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

We will be heading to Montana just over week from today, FWIW. So expect the clipper system out there to fall apart and be replaced by triple digits. Sorry Kayla.

I'll know who to blame then!

Headed to Kalispell?  

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

PDX hasn't had a 70 degree low in what feels like forever...

Three years. Probably reasonable to expect about a once a decade return rate looking at long term climo. 2006, 2009 and 2015 blew through our quota until the 2040s.

Or in other words, we’re Dew!!!

Three years. Probably reasonable to expect about a once a decade return rate looking at long term climo. 2006, 2009 and 2015 blew through our quota until the 2040s.

Or in other words, we’re Dew!!!

Feels like 300 years! We haven't even come close since then!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

August is easily our hottest and driest month these days. This mid-July stuff is probably just the appetizer

That's the direction I leaned in the forecast contest.  :ph34r:

Ironically, August is the one summer month even UHI-afflicted SEA has been unable to set a new warm record in recent years.

A forum for the end of the world.

Feels like 300 years! We haven't even come close since then!

Downtown Portland had a 70 degree low early last September. New warm benchmark for the month, records since 1870.

Easy to think we are always dew for more warmth when you conveniently forget about all of the warmth we have seen lately. ;)

Downtown Portland had a 70 degree low early last September. New warm benchmark for the month, records since 1870.

Easy to think we are always dew for more warmth when you conveniently forget about all of the warmth we have seen lately. ;)

Only airports matter. Sorry!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

96F in Springfield. Central and South Valley are nice and toasty.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Yuppers, thunderstorms have been occurring here for sure. Went shopping and there is a nearly stationary t'storm that has been parked a bit to my WNW just about the whole time we were out of the house. Rumbles every minute or so. No loud booms, I guess because these might be a bit elevated.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Yeah my grass is already fried.  I've had lots of stuff going on the past 2 months and haven't been able to stay on top of watering.  There are 2 sections of my back yard that get lots of shade, and they are green and healthy but the rest is brown (or at least 90% brown).  The front and side yards are pretty much done in as well.  Trying to decide if I should try to bring it back, or if I just let it go until the rains pick up again in the fall....it will probably take a lot of resources to try to get it back, but I like having a nice green lawn in the summer....

A nice green lawn is really nice to have. Forget about walking barefoot on a dry crunchy lawn - ouch!

I have chickens and they love the green grass. They were stuck eating the weeds mid to late last summer. All the grass was toast.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

A nice green lawn is really nice to have. Forget about walking barefoot on a dry crunchy lawn - ouch!

I have chickens and they love the green grass. They were stuck eating the weeds mid to late last summer. All the grass was toast.

I’m no chicken expert but I would imagine they’d prefer toast to grass.

I don't know if this has already been posted but FWIW, here are the latest EURO Seasonals for August and September. Only posting these 2 months because the longer it goes out the less accurate it becomes. Also take these with a grain of salt but it shows a western ridge pretty much through September as the general pattern. us_season-en-087-0_modezseason_2018070100_1_5436_528.pngus_season-en-087-0_modezseason_2018070100_2_5436_528.png

I’m no chicken expert but I would imagine they’d prefer toast to grass.

Depends on the type of grass.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Shot of cool, dry Canadian air into the PNW and northern Rockies. Midsummer frost east of the Cascades and some outlying upper 30s even on the west side if I recall.

models seems to be leaning towards a long term ridge position in the gulf so potential is there.

• Like 1

Shot of cool, dry Canadian air into the PNW and northern Rockies. Midsummer frost east of the Cascades and some outlying upper 30s even on the west side if I recall.

We have frost coming this weekend??  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We have frost coming this weekend??  

Never once said that.

Matt and I were just noting that the pattern has similarities. Even if it did verify the west side would only see upper 30s in wind sheltered cold pockets. Probably around 50 at best in your well-mixed location.

Hopefully it trends warmer regardless!

I don't know if this has already been posted but FWIW, here are the latest EURO Seasonals for August and September. Only posting these 2 months because the longer it goes out the less accurate it becomes. Also take these with a grain of salt but it shows a western ridge pretty much through September as the general pattern. us_season-en-087-0_modezseason_2018070100_1_5436_528.png us_season-en-087-0_modezseason_2018070100_2_5436_528.png

You had no problem posting all of the the summer maps back in April. Hmm..I wonder why.

FWIW, that August projection will probably bust. Too much faux coupling to SSTs. I think September might verify decently, though.

Never once said that.

Matt and I were just noting that the pattern has similarities. Even if it did verify the west side would only see upper 30s in wind sheltered cold pockets. Probably around 50 at best in your well-mixed location.

Hopefully it trends warmer regardless!

Whew... was heading out to cover up the garden now just to be safe!  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Signs of the #augusticebox on the 18z!

I'm curious what your guys' definitions of #IceBox is. If it's #no90's then maybe. Still, can be a warm month if there's a bunch of mid upper 80's.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Waters off of our coast look much warmer.

Hard to imagine you guys have much left in the warm anomaly fuel tanks. Been an impressive half-decade in that regard.