Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Discussion For The 2018-19 Autumn & Winter Seasons

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply

jaster220

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:45 PM

jaster220

"Torch-fest" '18-19

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6182 posts
  • LocationKRMY (Marshall, MI) KJXN (work)

Nothing wrong with those who enjoy trying to take a shot at long term guessing/forecasting, but it really shouldn't be accompanied with all the extra hyperbole as it has frequently shown to be so incredibly  inaccurate.  There are simply too many changing variables to get overly excited about what at the time looks to be a... historic, epic, record shattering, unforgettable, one for the ages, etc   upcoming winter season.  Think the data suggests that any forecast beyond 10 days is a coin flip at best, so it's definitely hard to justify putting much of any stock into a long range winter guess/forecast.  Nature will take its course and we are just along for the ride.

Good post. I do believe most of those hyperbolic terms mainly focused on S. Plains/Dixie over to the East Coast. Just today, OKC got hit pretty good and traditionally winter would start there later than the northern tier. I wasn't taking your post as directed towards myself so I'm not offended by any means. Actually, since I made my seasonal call for this sub-forum so dang early I thought it worthwhile to look at just how "historic" I expected it to be. This table shows that my region of south central Mich would finish above avg (my call is for first to last flake to be clear, not DJF) but only by 10-20%. Nothing close to the 100% above normal of our '08-09 & '13-14 historic season totals. My map also did not specify amounts (not even a percentage like WxBell's for example), but merely amount vs average for your particular location. Currently, mby sits at 34.7% of normal on Jan 4th. It's certainly not impossible if things do flip that I come in at or even above avg. Actually, if we can just get that Iowa snow hole caught-up, my early call may yet turn out ok. Let's see how things play out..

For SMI based solely on analogs:

Attached File  Table of El Nino types and regional snowfall.JPG   74.35KB   0 downloads

For sub-forum in general. Actually it's Zone 2 that I had as above avg, so places like IND and a lot of the OHV are currently running behind. N Iowa I had a Zone 3 thus below avg. I doubt they go all winter with bad luck tho.

Attached File  MW&GLs sub map with 2018-19 snowfall zones.jpg   64.43KB   0 downloads

• iFred, Niko, Tom and 1 other like this

Winter 2018-19 Snow Total = 47.7"  Largest Storm: 2x 7" (1/28-29 & 1/18-19)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 15.2 Dec: 2.0 Jan: 21.7 Feb: 8.8 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0 

Annual avg for mby = 49.9"  Avg for last 10 seasons = 67.4" (135% of normal)

2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

Notable Blizzards/Snowstorms in SWMI: Nov 2015, Feb 2015, Jan 2014Feb 2011, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Jan 1982, Jan 1979, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, March 1973, Jan 1967, March 1947, Jan 1918

"Long range winter forecasting - it's like tossing darts in a hurricane.."  "In my day, they didn't name 'em, they just called 'em blizzards! *Shakes fist in air and ambles away mumbling to himself" and to think kids nowadays get day's off school because the wind blew. I think in '78 we only got 1 day off”  "..It's the U.P. where there are two seasons. Winter, and three months of bad skiing.."

Sparky

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:49 AM

Sparky

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationKalona (Southeast IA.)

Nothing wrong with those who enjoy trying to take a shot at long term guessing/forecasting, but it really shouldn't be accompanied with all the extra hyperbole as it has frequently shown to be so incredibly inaccurate. There are simply too many changing variables to get overly excited about what at the time looks to be a... historic, epic, record shattering, unforgettable, one for the ages, etc upcoming winter season. Think the data suggests that any forecast beyond 10 days is a coin flip at best, so it's definitely hard to justify putting much of any stock into a long range winter guess/forecast. Nature will take its course and we are just along for the ride.

Agree 100%! This is so true and I couldn't have worded it any better! Nobody really knows what the weather will be like beyond about 2 weeks or so. But still it's fun to look at models, though I don't pay to much attention beyond 7-10 days except to see what a general trend might be. Also still like when people try & forecast the weather, be it long or short term, & see what they are seeing/thinking. Model forecasts are generated by the world's most powerful supercomputers and still have issues. Last fall I was a little worried how I was going to make it through this epic late 70's style winter and still keep my livestock comfortable. Needn't have worried as it was mostly opposite so far! Now I'm worried (not really lol) that it will change (patterns often don't continue the same all season long) and be bitterly cold right when I don't want it. So long as it happens before February 20 I'll be okay with it!
  • Niko and jaster220 like this

Niko

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:46 PM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6325 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Agree 100%! This is so true and I couldn't have worded it any better! Nobody really knows what the weather will be like beyond about 2 weeks or so. But still it's fun to look at models, though I don't pay to much attention beyond 7-10 days except to see what a general trend might be. Also still like when people try & forecast the weather, be it long or short term, & see what they are seeing/thinking. Model forecasts are generated by the world's most powerful supercomputers and still have issues. Last fall I was a little worried how I was going to make it through this epic late 70's style winter and still keep my livestock comfortable. Needn't have worried as it was mostly opposite so far! Now I'm worried (not really lol) that it will change (patterns often don't continue the same all season long) and be bitterly cold right when I don't want it. So long as it happens before February 20 I'll be okay with it!

Very well said and I agree 100%.

• Sparky likes this

Tom

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:48 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 18301 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

As if there is nothing to discuss, I thought I'd comment on the UKMET and EURO seasonal which both agree that this Winter is locking and is poised to have Legs.  Here was the 500mb map for Feb/Mar/Apr...I can't post the Euro, but it is also showing a very cold Feb/Mar for the eastern CONUS.

DwtHmNAU8AA2gcw.jpg

• jaster220 likes this

hlcater

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:33 AM

hlcater

Awesome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1647 posts
  • LocationHiawatha, Eastern IA

As if there is nothing to discuss, I thought I'd comment on the UKMET and EURO seasonal which both agree that this Winter is locking and is poised to have Legs.  Here was the 500mb map for Feb/Mar/Apr...I can't post the Euro, but it is also showing a very cold Feb/Mar for the eastern CONUS.

DwtHmNAU8AA2gcw.jpg

Not a good look for April severe... 

• Sparky likes this

2018-19 Snowfall:

TOTAL: 44.0"

(Nov. 9: 0.6") (Nov. 17: 2.9") (Dec. 31: 0.5") (Jan. 12: 4.7") (Jan. 19: 5.7") (Jan. 22: 5.0") (Jan. 26: 1.5") (Jan. 28: 3.0") (Jan. 31: 3.1") (Feb. 10: 1.2") (Feb. 12: 8.2") (Feb. 17: 7.8")

Formerly NWLinn

OKwx2k4

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:29 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3658 posts
This winter is all but over for me if the models are correct.

Extrapolating out to the period past the "cold shot" that may or may not happen, winter looks to largely cease for anyone who isn't the great lakes or the OV. This one had all the potential. It's a shame. Going to be hard to squeeze much winter into the last 15-20 days of February if the cycle is locked. I think it is.

If there is severe cold, it will be nothing more than an annoyance to me. I hate that.
  • Niko, jaster220 and Andie like this

gosaints

Posted 02 February 2019 - 07:44 AM

gosaints

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4871 posts
  • LocationWhitewater state park

Bad news for this forum

https://www.foxnews....an-early-spring

I am shivering in fear
  • LNK_Weather likes this

East Dubzz

Posted 02 February 2019 - 07:51 AM

East Dubzz

Advanced Member

• Mods
  • 2764 posts
  • LocationDubuque, IA
Also, plenty of us enjoy spring weather as well, so I don’t see the issue.

OKwx2k4

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:47 AM

OKwx2k4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3658 posts
I haven't had a winter (with exception of almost having a winter in October and November, VERY VERY cold) so if it's going to be spring, may as well. College baseball and NASCAR start soon.

I'm going to stick with the established seasonal pattern, though and go with more alternating extremes with the SW jet finally waking up as we go -PNA for a bit. Still looks like hard cold into the spring months for almost everyone but me and Andie.

gimmesnow

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:52 AM

gimmesnow

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Great, maybe this summer will be warm so you can talk about how people are dying from the heat! But I think your university's safe space will be nice and cold with puppies and candy and soothing music for you :)

• buzzman289, VMB443 and LNK_Weather like this

VMB443

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:04 PM

VMB443

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee West

You see, unlike all of you evil people who wish extremes on folks just for your silly hobby — I am just fine with a normal winter day or a normal summer day.

A few inches of snow to pretty things up? No problem for me.

78 degrees and sunny? Can’t wait to take a lap around the lake and drink a few beers.

What I don’t need? Ice, record-low temps, feet of snow, humidity and tornadoes wiping out entire towns. You know - the things ya’ll hope for and cherry pick, post and root home any/every model that suggests it might happen.

I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties...
  • FV-Mike, Sparky and LNK_Weather like this

buzzman289

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:16 PM

buzzman289

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids,Ia

living in Mom and Dads basement must be so safe

• gimmesnow and LNK_Weather like this

Madtown

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:14 AM

Madtown

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1395 posts

You see, unlike all of you evil people who wish extremes on folks just for your silly hobby — I am just fine with a normal winter day or a normal summer day.

78 degrees and sunny? Can’t wait to take a lap around the lake and drink a few beers.

What I don’t need? Ice, record-low temps, feet of snow, humidity and tornadoes wiping out entire towns. You know - the things ya’ll hope for and cherry pick, post and root home any/every model that suggests it might happen.

You drink and boat....my gosh man how do you live with yourself! Decisions that put others lives and yours at risk!

lol
  • jaster220 and gimmesnow like this

Money

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:20 AM

Money

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8545 posts

lollll
  • jaster220 and Sparky like this

Andie

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:55 AM

Andie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2597 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Texas

You drink and boat....my gosh man how do you live with yourself! Decisions that put others lives and yours at risk!
lol

Happens all over the south. I've sailed and had a beer or two. We're not talking about getting bombed. Just a beer.

We're heading for 72*
15-20 mph winds
Mostly cloudy.

Nice lake sailing. :). Y'all come.
  • Sparky likes this
Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

2018 Rainfall - 62.65"
High Temp. - 110.03*
Low Temp. - 8.4*

Andie

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:01 AM

Andie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2597 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Texas

I haven't had a winter (with exception of almost having a winter in October and November, VERY VERY cold) so if it's going to be spring, may as well. College baseball and NASCAR start soon.
I'm going to stick with the established seasonal pattern, though and go with more alternating extremes with the SW jet finally waking up as we go -PNA for a bit. Still looks like hard cold into the spring months for almost everyone but me and Andie.

Yeah, I thought we'd catch the tail of this cold streak, but looks like another dull winter.
Loads of overcast days. Even our rain has abated.

I'm ready for a good old rainy day, much less snow.
Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

2018 Rainfall - 62.65"
High Temp. - 110.03*
Low Temp. - 8.4*

Madtown

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:54 PM

Madtown

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1395 posts

Happens all over the south. I've sailed and had a beer or two. We're not talking about getting bombed. Just a beer.

We're heading for 72*
15-20 mph winds
Mostly cloudy.

Nice lake sailing. :). Y'all come.

Was joking if there ain't a cooler of 24 beers on the pontoon then it aint a ride up north
  • jaster220 likes this